Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    well, there was a story from the 80s were a kid wanted to be like johnny and lit himself up. not sure if the story cooped out and made the kid immortal and regrowing himself or something--- anyway that idea was out there.

one night i zapped into "bloodsports" (JCvD) on tv and the final fight starts and the next scene it is over. censored because too violent...

the german version of half-life had robots instead of soldiers and they leaked green goo if shot...

i hate robot enemies if they only serve as cheap cannon fodder, hello star wars prequels
    I remember that Fantastic Four story, it was written and drawn by John Byrne. What happened is the boy goes to the hospital with serious burns and and Johnny visits him. When the boy tells Johnny that he did it on purpose cuz he wanted to be like the Human Torch, Johnny has a crisis of faith and vows not to use his powers again. The Beyonder then shows up and gives Johnny a pep talking telling him that being a hero inspires people so he shouldn't give it up. Last page is Johnny not quitting being the Human Torch.

Ultimate Member

Somewhat related to the Doors, they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show once and the producers asked them to change the line in "Light My Fire" from "girl we couldn't get much higher" to "girl we couldn't get much better." They said they would do it, but when the show was being taped, Morrison defiantly sang "higher." They were banned from ever appearing on the show again.

In contrast, the Ed Sullivan show did get The Rolling Stones to change, "Let's Spend The Night Together" to "Let's Spend Some Time Together."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    What continues to burn my biscuit, in comics, is the continued censorship of nudity Tomb of Dracula in reprints, by carefully edited panels that extend clothing, bedsheets, etc. to cover forbidden boobage and buttage. HEAVEN FORBID WE SHOW GENE COLAN'S EXPERT BOOBIECRAFT!

Us kids in the 1970s had it good. No one cared to even bother to censor all those black and white magazines. Yet, viewed as comic books no one had any problem with us kids picking them up.
    If I remember correctly, Marvel was selling their "Essentials" reprints to mainstream bookstores. I think they might have been told certain distributors wouldn't handle them in certain markets if their was too much nudity.

It might have been around the same time that they had Frank Cho change the art in his Shanna MAX series, before it came out. I think they just might have gotten cold feet with that one.

As far as the B+W magazines ( and for that matter Heavy Metal, Epic, etc), I think people didn't care as much because they supposedly were aimed at a slightly older audience. Heck, when they did Epic Illustrated, the mag was full of ads for booze and cigarettes!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Then there's a case of necessary censorship when it came to the entire second verse of "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits, especially because of this:

"The little you-know-what with the earrings and the makeup, yeah, buddy, that's his own hair,
    the little you-know-what got his own jet airplane, the little you-know-what is a millionaire."

I think we can all guess what 'you-know-what' refers to if you ever heard the entire song, a word that disparages gays, and a word I can't repeat here because it would get me banned. To that end, that entire verse is never heard when the song is played, either on terrestrial or satellite radio stations, hasn't been for years.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Then there's a case of necessary censorship when it came to the entire second verse of "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits, especially because of this:

"The little you-know-what with the earrings and the makeup, yeah, buddy, that's his own hair,
    the little you-know-what got his own jet airplane, the little you-know-what is a millionaire."

I think we can all guess what 'you-know-what' refers to if you ever heard the entire song, a word that disparages gays, and a word I can't repeat here because it would get me banned. To that end, that entire verse is never heard when the song is played, either on terrestrial or satellite radio stations, hasn't been for years.
    It really depends on which channel you're listening to on satellite radio. If it's one of the pop channels, the song is censored. If it's on Little Steven's Underground Garage, they may play the uncensored version, but also try to address the problematic lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Marvel was selling their "Essentials" reprints to mainstream bookstores. I think they might have been told certain distributors wouldn't handle them in certain markets if their was too much nudity.

It might have been around the same time that they had Frank Cho change the art in his Shanna MAX series, before it came out. I think they just might have gotten cold feet with that one.

As far as the B+W magazines ( and for that matter Heavy Metal, Epic, etc), I think people didn't care as much because they supposedly were aimed at a slightly older audience. Heck, when they did Epic Illustrated, the mag was full of ads for booze and cigarettes!
    Yah, they weren't exactly marketed to kids. These were on the magazine rack, whereas in that day most kids comics were sold on a separate revolving rack or the like. A kid looking through stuff on the magazine rack was kind of odd in those days.

I don't have a problem with Marvel censoring the pages for some editions, but it seems like you can't even buy and original version in TPB form of any kind.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    One now-defunct message board's software censored the word "wristwatch". You might wonder what's wrong with that word, but the way the software altered it draws attention to the issue:

wris****ch

After laughing my ass off, I reported this to the site admin, and he updated the filter. A few weeks later though, I saw this on the site and laughed even harder:

wris****ches

He'd white-listed the singular version but not the plural.
    The CBR chat room censorware used to change 'snigger' to 'swallet' because...well, you can probably figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    It really depends on which channel you're listening to on satellite radio. If it's one of the pop channels, the song is censored. If it's on Little Steven's Underground Garage, they may play the uncensored version, but also try to address the problematic lyrics.
    Meanwhile I have never once heard Pearl Jam's Jeremy get censored on any radio station in my entire life.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Meanwhile I have never once heard Pearl Jam's Jeremy get censored on any radio station in my entire life.
    For what it's worth, the original video for Temple of the Dog's "Hunger Strike" had shots of Chris Cornell under a table singing and the camera plans to show ants crawling around over plates of food. When Pearl Jam hit it big, the video was edited to exclude those shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    The CBR chat room censorware used to change 'snigger' to 'swallet' because...well, you can probably figure it out.
    I can see what they where trying to censor, but why "wallet"?

I just watched The Simpson episode Homer at the Bat. The one where Mr Burns hires ringers for his softball team. In the scene where he tells Smithers to find baseball players he tells him to look in The American League, The National League, and The Negro league. In the version I saw they blanked out Negro League
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

In the old SNES game Uniracers, an odd but fun game where you raced riderless unicycles, you could give your unicycles names. Swear words like "ass" were disallowed, which is understandable, but you couldn't even use words that had the letters a-s-s in them, like "classy" or "massive." Even funnier, since the game was on a Nintendo system, you couldn't name your unicycles "Sega" or "Sonic" either. If you tried to enter a banned name, an error message saying "Not Cool Enough" would appear on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I can see what they where trying to censor, but why "wallet"?
    For the same reason 'cock' became 'earlobe'* and 'pussy' became 'portable wishwasher', I guess.

* Tip of the hat to X-Men artist Dave Earloberum

I dont know if this has been brought up yet but in the 90s Spiderman cartoon they never said Blood. just plasma.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I dont know if this has been brought up yet but in the 90s Spiderman cartoon they never said Blood. just plasma.
    Are you talking about the Morbius episodes? You may be right that they kept saying that he drained his victims of plasma, rather than draining them of blood.