Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Easy. Don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but 90s anime. Sometimes the strangest things were censored (rice balls replaced with sandwiches, or just called "donuts"), other times, well, the 90s were not the most open thing (like Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus from Sailor Moon). Can't forget the various dubs of Dragon Ball Z, "I'll send you to the next dimension!" and the infamous Superman speech Goku gave on Planet Namek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Easy. Don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but 90s anime. Sometimes the strangest things were censored (rice balls replaced with sandwiches, or just called "donuts"), other times, well, the 90s were not the most open thing (like Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus from Sailor Moon). Can't forget the various dubs of Dragon Ball Z, "I'll send you to the next dimension!" and the infamous Superman speech Goku gave on Planet Namek.
    The donuts thing wasn't censorship, just localization run amuck (and into stupid extremes). Changing two lesbians into cousins, well, that's censorship.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Are you talking about the Morbius episodes? You may be right that they kept saying that he drained his victims of plasma, rather than draining them of blood.
    Yes in the vampire episodes like Morbuis they said Plasma not blood.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Default Screwiest CENSORSHIP you've ever seen?

Saw an Indonesian bootleg tape of Purple rain. Apparently Prince caught Darling Nikki "MANUBARTING " with a magazine...

others?

I remember watching the TV version of "Major League" with my brother years ago on CBS. There is the famous line after Corbin Bernsen and Charlie Sheen's characters have feuded all movie... and Sheen's character, the relief pitcher Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn has unknowingly slept with his shortstop Roger Dorn's wife (who saw her fella was cheating on her when Dorn was in the background of a TV broadcast sneaking off with another woman out of the clubhouse when they clinched their spot in a one-game playoff).

Anyway, the two hate each other. And a few of Vaughn's teammates have taken every step to keep the reliever in the bullpen to avoid a huge blowup with Dorn. It isn't until Vaughn gets put in to seal the win that Dorn approaches the mound. What's he gonna say or do? Is he gonna fight Vaughn right there?

He stares down Vaughn and just tells him, "Strike this MOTHERF***ER OUT."

Now, that's obviously not making it to air on CBS. Instead, Dorn says, "STRIKE THIS MOTHER... GUY" out.

Okay, let's break that down. There are two syllables there after "MOTHER-". They went with one syllable. And... it doesn't make a bit of sense that way.

Even weirder, it wasn't Corbin Bernsen's voice, or anything that sounded like him. I swear, the "GUY" was three octaves deeper than Bernsen's voice. In fact, I'm pretty sure "GUY" was spoken by Dennis Haybert's Cuban character, Pedro Cerrano.

So we have a one-syllable word where there are two syllables, that makes it look like a bad 70s dubbing job from a kung fu flick, and the voice that delivers it is clearly not the same person.

My brother and I laughed about it for at least five minutes. And still laugh about it to this day.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    How about Marvel's Maggia?
    Based on the Gray's anatomy solution for "vagina"

Marvel should just call them the "Maj-jay-jay".
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ultimate Member

I'm not sure if this counts, but there was a curious case in the 90's X-Men cartoon. Just to set it up, it was a story inspired by the Age of Apocalypse storyline ( I assume)...bad guys from the future go to the past and kill young Prof X before forming the X-Men thus changing reality. Bishop finds Storm and Wolverine who are married in the new reality and they go back into the 1950's (?) to stop the murder from happening. While the heroes are waiting in a diner Storm and Wolverine are holding hands. Some locals see this get mad and pick a fight with them. Storm says something like, "We are experiencing prejudice based on skin color!" I'm wondering if there was some reason they couldn't use the words "bigotry" or "racism"?

I don't know. I always saw that as more of an artistic decision than one of censorship. It seemed more in character for Ororo to use the word "prejudice" than "bigotry" or "racism."
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I remember watching the TV version of "Major League" with my brother years ago on CBS. There is the famous line after Corbin Bernsen and Charlie Sheen's characters have feuded all movie... and Sheen's character, the relief pitcher Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn has unknowingly slept with his shortstop Roger Dorn's wife (who saw her fella was cheating on her when Dorn was in the background of a TV broadcast sneaking off with another woman out of the clubhouse when they clinched their spot in a one-game playoff).

Anyway, the two hate each other. And a few of Vaughn's teammates have taken every step to keep the reliever in the bullpen to avoid a huge blowup with Dorn. It isn't until Vaughn gets put in to seal the win that Dorn approaches the mound. What's he gonna say or do? Is he gonna fight Vaughn right there?

He stares down Vaughn and just tells him, "Strike this MOTHERF***ER OUT."

Now, that's obviously not making it to air on CBS. Instead, Dorn says, "STRIKE THIS MOTHER... GUY" out.

Okay, let's break that down. There are two syllables there after "MOTHER-". They went with one syllable. And... it doesn't make a bit of sense that way.

Even weirder, it wasn't Corbin Bernsen's voice, or anything that sounded like him. I swear, the "GUY" was three octaves deeper than Bernsen's voice. In fact, I'm pretty sure "GUY" was spoken by Dennis Haybert's Cuban character, Pedro Cerrano.

So we have a one-syllable word where there are two syllables, that makes it look like a bad 70s dubbing job from a kung fu flick, and the voice that delivers it is clearly not the same person.

My brother and I laughed about it for at least five minutes. And still laugh about it to this day.
    I'm actually OK with the pause on the first and a totally misplace "guy" on the second syllable. I know what was said, you know what was said, and everyone who's ever seen a Samiuel L. Jackson meme knows what was said. The sloppy censorship to me says basically "here it is, we're saying it actually without saying it".

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Samuel L. Jackson saying "Forget you!" when Akeem tells me to put down his gun in Coming to America. That was when they still showed old movies on the weekends on the local affiliate channels. When I found out what he really said years later what he said made a lot more sense.

I can tell you what the funniest censorship I ever saw was. If you've seen "Blazing Saddles", you might remember the scene with all the cowboys camped for the night, all eating beans and the sounds that followed. I saw a late night showing on local television where they cut the sound during the tooting. Only, they didn't just shut off the sound and leave it off. They cut it for a fraction of a second, then put it back on then cut it again and this went on and on and on. It was actually funnier than the actual tooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP...ature=emb_logo
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I can tell you what the funniest censorship I ever saw was. If you've seen "Blazing Saddles", you might remember the scene with all the cowboys camped for the night, all eating beans and the sounds that followed. I saw a late night showing on local television where they cut the sound during the tooting. Only, they didn't just shut off the sound and leave it off. They cut it for a fraction of a second, then put it back on then cut it again and this went on and on and on. It was actually funnier than the actual tooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP...ature=emb_logo
    I saw that version on TV also!

In addition to the bean scene, the other bit of censorship they did was truncate all mentions of Madeline Kahn's character's name - Lili Von Shtupp. They had people saying "Lili Von Sht-" instead. I wondered if they only did this in New York, because "shtup" is a Yiddish word that refers to sex.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    I saw that version on TV also!

In addition to the bean scene, the other bit of censorship they did was truncate all mentions of Madeline Kahn's character's name - Lili Von Shtupp. They had people saying "Lili Von Sht-" instead. I wondered if they only did this in New York, because "shtup" is a Yiddish word that refers to sex.
    No. They also did it in Northern Michigan.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

A Profanity Filter Banned the Word 'Bone' at a Paleontology Conference. “Words like 'bone,' 'pubic,' and 'stream' are frankly ridiculous to ban in a field where we regularly find pubic bones in streams,” one participant said of the filter, which organizers had to thwart.
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyza...ogy-conference
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Nelvana's censorship of Card Captor Sakura was the worst I have ever seen.