Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think that's why the 90s X-Men fought sentinels so much. They needed something Wolverine could cut without triggering the censors, and the censors are triggered very, very easily.
    And why the Foot Clan were all robots. (They were robots, right? I remember it that way, but...)

The song Whatever Where ever by Shakria has a line lucky my breasts are small and humble. My radio station bleeped out the word breasts
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

(Thanks for the replies)

Yeah a lotta censorship of songs and movies before after Columbine (Apparently songs and movies about guns are the problem not the actual guns themselves).

Radio edit of Everlasts "What its like" . Max dealing ##### pulled out his##### and ##### wound up dead. I saw a comedian who said the sound effects used made a song about inner city reality sound like an episode of Funniest Home videos.

Sailor moon : two gay women were changed into incestous cousins...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Before you edited I was about to say that the British didn't get triggered by cross dressing the same way we Americans did. It was a staple in comedy over there far longer than it was even accepted over here.
    Yet in 1982 , Dustin Hoffman had a big hit in Tootsie. Hard to figure why Queen's music video seemed to trigger some people.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yet in 1982 , Dustin Hoffman had a big hit in Tootsie. Hard to figure why Queen's music video seemed to trigger some people.
    Possibly because Tootsie went out of its way to show Hoffman's character as straight.

The Action Comics 'soda pop' cover.

Astonishing Member

1990s Marvel- anytime blood was spilled, it was colored black instead of red.

Quesada era Marvel- no characters using tobacco.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

If memory serves (a dicey proposition at my advanced age), there was a Fantastic Four cartoon from the late 70's/early 80's with Herbie the Robot on the team instead of Johnny because producers were afraid of kids trying to mimic a character who bursts into flame.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    If memory serves (a dicey proposition at my advanced age), there was a Fantastic Four cartoon from the late 70's/early 80's with Herbie the Robot on the team instead of Johnny because producers were afraid of kids trying to mimic a character who bursts into flame.
    That's the urban legend. The truth is a bit more mundane: at the time, the film and TV rights for the Human Torch were held by another film company for a HUMAN TORCH movie that never materialized.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    That's the urban legend. The truth is a bit more mundane: at the time, the film and TV rights for the Human Torch were held by another film company for a HUMAN TORCH movie that never materialized.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Really? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the education.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    1990s Marvel- anytime blood was spilled, it was colored black instead of red.

Quesada era Marvel- no characters using tobacco.
    Quesedas Grandfather died due to smoking and his father collapsed because of smoking related emphysema.

Censoring the swear words on the same page that the Sentry rips Ares in half.

I remember laughing my ass off while watching the movie "Major League" on CBS on night when networks would air movies in primetime some nights... I'd seen the movie a ton of times, and knew most of the lines down cold. But one in particular had THE worst edit I'd ever heard.

Near the end of the movie, after "Wild Thing" Vaughn slept with the wife of Roger Dorn, the team's shortstop, without knowing who she was, they have to play the pennant clinching game. Vaughn gets into the bullpen before the game to avoid him, but gets called in with two out in the ninth to face the final batter, and after he hits the mound, Dorn approaches the mound, and tells him only one thing... "STRIKE THIS MOTHERF***ER OUT," before returning to his position. (He waits until the team's celebration to suckerpunch Vaughn.) So the TV edit on 90s CBS was sure not going to allow that swear to fly, and after seeing an entire two hours of Wesley Snipes and Tom Berenger saying, "SHOOT" and "FREAKING" in places, how do they handle the swear "motherf***er" on this line?

Corbin Bernsen's mouth moves and he says, "STRIKE THIS MOTHER-GUY OUT!"

I'm noting this because Bernsen's mouth still clearly moved to show there were two syllables that came out, so it was like bad martial-arts movie dubbing... and more importantly, whoever said the GUY part of his line... was not Corbin Bernsen. It sounded like it was Dennis Haysbert's deep-ass voice. The whole thing was such a jarring train-wreck of censorship that my brother and I laughed about it for five minutes, and still joke about it to this day.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Originally on Happy Days, Fonzie could only be shown wearing his black leather jacket if he was on or next to his motorcycle. Otherwise he had to wear a light colored windbreaker.
    Well, that just led to some ridiculous scenes of Fonzie’s bike being indoors in every conceivable manner.

The rule went away after Fonzie became a big hit, but, it was still pretty odd.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I remember laughing my ass off while watching the movie "Major League" on CBS on night when networks would air movies in primetime some nights... I'd seen the movie a ton of times, and knew most of the lines down cold. But one in particular had THE worst edit I'd ever heard.

Near the end of the movie, after "Wild Thing" Vaughn slept with the wife of Roger Dorn, the team's shortstop, without knowing who she was, they have to play the pennant clinching game. Vaughn gets into the bullpen before the game to avoid him, but gets called in with two out in the ninth to face the final batter, and after he hits the mound, Dorn approaches the mound, and tells him only one thing... "STRIKE THIS MOTHERF***ER OUT," before returning to his position. (He waits until the team's celebration to suckerpunch Vaughn.) So the TV edit on 90s CBS was sure not going to allow that swear to fly, and after seeing an entire two hours of Wesley Snipes and Tom Berenger saying, "SHOOT" and "FREAKING" in places, how do they handle the swear "motherf***er" on this line?

Corbin Bernsen's mouth moves and he says, "STRIKE THIS MOTHER-GUY OUT!"

I'm noting this because Bernsen's mouth still clearly moved to show there were two syllables that came out, so it was like bad martial-arts movie dubbing... and more importantly, whoever said the GUY part of his line... was not Corbin Bernsen. It sounded like it was Dennis Haysbert's deep-ass voice. The whole thing was such a jarring train-wreck of censorship that my brother and I laughed about it for five minutes, and still joke about it to this day.
    This reminds me of the censored version of Doakes' dialogue on Dexter, where he refers to everyone as a 'motherlover'.