Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

There was an episode of Law And Order:SVU where footage of an evil boss yelling at someone was leaked to a Youtube style file sharing site. On the original show it wasn't called Youtube, it's "MeTube" or "YouSpace" or something like that. Yet for some reason, when the reruns are aired on Ion TV, the cops are watching the footage and the logo for the fake site has now been blurred out.

Ultimate Member

For a long time you couldn't use the word "zombie" in a code approved comic book. To get around this Marvel came up with a weird near spelling. I don't have a copy of Avengers #152 in front of me, but it was something like "zobimvie" or something.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    For a long time you couldn't use the word "zombie" in a code approved comic book. To get around this Marvel came up with a weird near spelling. I don't have a copy of Avengers #152 in front of me, but it was something like "zobimvie" or something.
    "Zuvembie", I believe. It comes from a Robert E. Howard story. And yes, the CCA had banned use of the word "zombie".

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    "Zuvembie", I believe. It comes from a Robert E. Howard story. And yes, the CCA had banned use of the word "zombie".
    Ah, yes. That short story by Robert E. Howard was made into quite a memorable episode of the Thriller show hosted by Boris Karloff in the early 1960's The short story and episode was called "Pigeons from Hell" and they did use the word "zuvembie" in the TV episode. I didn't realize Howard made it up and assumed it was part of voodoo lore.

BTW, not every episode was of the horror genre in that show. Sometimes they were mysteries, and so forth. But IMO "Thriller" is still IMO one of the most memorable, atmospheric horror shows on TV. Stephen King mentions is as one of his all time favorites.

Along with "Pigeons from Hell", there was also "the Grim Reaper", about a cursed painting and "Parasite Mansion", which like "Pigeons from Hell" has a creepy view of the Old South. With Halloween approaching now's a good time to revisit those if you can. ME TV sometimes plays episodes late at night.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-28-2019 at 10:06 AM.

I can't remember all the alterations but in The Usual Suspects lineup scene, every one is supposed to say the same line "Give me the f***ing keys you f***ing c**k****er. But one night I saw it on TNT and they substituted Fairy Godmother

Mighty Member

Australia has some screwy censorship . The old song about Snoopy and the BEEP (bloody) Red Baron of Germany...

I saw Predator 2 and Stephen Kings Sleepwalkers at the movies . They had a few gore scenes missing. When they aired on Tv the gore scenes, which any kid could have walked in on, were restored. WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There was an episode of Law And Order:SVU where footage of an evil boss yelling at someone was leaked to a Youtube style file sharing site. On the original show it wasn't called Youtube, it's "MeTube" or "YouSpace" or something like that. Yet for some reason, when the reruns are aired on Ion TV, the cops are watching the footage and the logo for the fake site has now been blurred out.
    It may be that since the episode originally aired, someone has actually copyrighted the fake name that they used, so it's now a real company that could sue over it.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I'll never forget that in season two of Grey's Anatomy, it was decided they had said "vagina" too much, and now we have stupid term "vajayjay".

Showrunner Shonda Rhimes had done interviews stating that the script had the proper term of vagina, but they were told they used the word too much, and they came up with "vajayjay".

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

How about Marvel's Maggia?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I once saw an airplane version of Deadpool 2 that kept all the general violence and gore but decided to change every instance of the word F*** (and some of the other profanity) to something else, like fudge. For instance, the opening quote of "F*** Wolverine" becomes the less impactful "Forget Wolverine."

In the case of the anime adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part Three, an series ripe with gory violence and body horror, the most notable case of censorship was the broadcast tv version blotting out all instances of its teenage protagonist smoking with some pretty conspicuous black shading that did a lousy job of actually hiding the smoking, which was removed for the blu-ray release.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 09-29-2019 at 12:24 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I can't remember all the alterations but in The Usual Suspects lineup scene, every one is supposed to say the same line "Give me the f***ing keys you f***ing c**k****er. But one night I saw it on TNT and they substituted Fairy Godmother
    That's like the "monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday-to-Friday plane." (you can probably guess the movie)

And in Lebowski, "You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?"
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Snakes on a Plane?? I wonder who has the job of making those substitutions?

Badfellas - Especially ruined for television:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    How about Marvel's Maggia?
    That's not censorship, that's saving themselves from actual physical harm.

One of my favorites censors was from the old Toonami days of Cartoon Network with Outlaw Star.

This was before they moved it to prime time, and were very squeamish about showing blood. So in the original when Jim examines the main character after a conflict and his hand comes back bloody it's a dramatic moment. In the censored version the screen focuses on his completely clean hand.

That's bad enough but for some reason they forgot to edit his dialogue. So he's just looking at his perfectly clean hand asking "What the hell is this?!"
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!