Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    I question the reasoning that the next Spider-Man will be "adult and mature" do people just forget the Webb and Raimi movies had him young and in high school?
    Why would that change?
    I swear it's like it's only a problem now because out of the three people playing Spider-Man he actually looked and was close to the age his character was supposed to be
    Tobey was for the most part a university Peter.

Tom Holland is an high-schooler.

Also, I'm reading online that the deal is actually for TWO MOVIES. Is that true?

Astonishing Member

I have to shake my head and laugh at those that are unhappy the MCU Spidey trilogy will actually happen the way it was meant to.

First, it’s just one more movie so there can be proper closure. It’s not like a new 6 movie deal or something. Second, it seems the majority of complaints are about Tony Stark references... not even appearances, just references to a dead guy. I agree Spidey should come more into his own, but I don’t see it as a huge deal. The MCU Spidey is far from perfect, but at least the characters act like real people and the stories don’t make you roll your eyes all the time. I understand different strokes for different folks. But if you want to feel more grateful for Holland’s MCU Spidey, please rewatch the abominable Webb/Garfield TASM duology. *shudder* How soon we forget?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Is this a real thing? Why?
    *sarcasm

10char
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCampy89 View Post
    Also, I'm reading online that the deal is actually for TWO MOVIES. Is that true?
    It’s a deal for one Spider-Man film (I’m guessing his next MCU appearance will be there) and for one appearance as a side character appearance (so wholly Disney produced). My guess is that this will get a proper extension when the time comes. I think Sony wants to keep the door open for re-negotiation should Spider-Man 3 underperform Far From Home (for them—given they put out less for Spider-Man 3 with the co-production deal, they would make more on a film that produced a Far From Home result). Of course, I could be wrong, but it seems to me Sony is hitching their wagon to the MCU, what with offering a loosely connected Venomverse as an adjunct onto it. I think the only real problem we might see is Disney asking for more. But a 75/25 split means they would make as much on a performer like Far From Home as they would on one like Ant-Man and the Wasp (which they own 100% of the expense to). I mean, if opportunity costs seem to go up and their newest movies perform better than mid-range ones like Ant-Man and the Wasp then they might ask for a little more. But, honestly, very few things are going to be as sure as getting an ROI on 25% of a Spider-Man movie.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

well glad hes back although all my hype went to this week chapter of One Piece cause thats perfection right there.Although many here hate it at least the MCU get a chance to finish out his trilogy but i still suspect they will put Tom in a Venom movie crossover still.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Finally some good news! Spidey staying in the MCU literally made my day. I hope it's the ultimate deal (that will extend for more movies, not just one cameo and third solo movie) and Parker will stay where he belongs.
    We'll have to see. Personally, I want the deal to continue long term, but, if at the very least MCU Spidey's story is given enough closure that we don't need more, I can live with that.

(As an example of what I mean, take Ant-Man; I want Marvel to do more with him, but the last we see of him, he's been reunited with both Cassie and Hope after helping save the world. There's more room for adventures beyond that, but a finale of him having a fresh start with his family after all that happened is a satisfying ending, esp. considering Scott's relationships with other people are his primary driving force in the stories.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ....maaaaaaaaaaaybe .

To be honest, I'd really like to see a good Spidey/Wolverine team-up .

I think they've already been cautious enough. Spidey was prominent at the tail end of the Infinity Saga but not in a way where anyone would probably mention him again if he suddenly vanished for rights reasons.

I guess we still don't know who owns Avengers Tower now, but I'm betting it won't be OsCorp.
    I dunno if I expect Avengers tower to be a plot point, at least not anytime soon. Maybe the Mandarin bought it, I dunno, that’s the only way I could see it in Phase Four.

So, when the deal has been reached (Spider-Man 3 + Spidey in whatever crossover), you think Marvel and Sony will work out another deal?

I don't think this'll be that "last hurrah" some refer to. Remember, Sony was perfectly content to keep Spidey in the MCU and it was only when Disney started asking for more money did they pull out. The truth is, many imagine Sony as being eager to make their Spider-Verse happen, however this deal is very much in Sony's favor and only an idiot would pull out of it.

Though, Sony apparently only hires idiots in their ranks, so you never know.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I do think that, at the very least, they will attempt to work out another deal.

Whether or not it happens remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    To be fair, Spidey being under Tony in the comics was questionable too, not only is Spidey Tony's senior as a super-hero, Tony is no way someone to be someone's "teacher" or whatever for long, maybe when they just started, but again, Spidey is his senior by a few months lol.
    I know Peter debuted as a character in the real world first, but was this ever the case in-universe?

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I dunno if I expect Avengers tower to be a plot point, at least not anytime soon. Maybe the Mandarin bought it, I dunno, that’s the only way I could see it in Phase Four.
    It just seems weird that they would have someone buy what's basically an Avengers landmark and something that would stand out a lot in New York panning shots unless they had an idea in mind for someone major purchasing and remodeling it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Alright, God Watts, please give Flash his own arc in a post-identity world like the rest of the squad. Thankyew.
    I would love this.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I know Peter debuted as a character in the real world first, but was this ever the case in-universe?
    It depends on the writer.
    In the Stan Lee written stories,it doesn't feel like Iron Man came first.
    On other modern stories,like Robbie Thompson's Spidey comics,they have Iron Man appear before Spider-man for movie sinergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    So, when the deal has been reached (Spider-Man 3 + Spidey in whatever crossover), you think Marvel and Sony will work out another deal?

I don't think this'll be that "last hurrah" some refer to. Remember, Sony was perfectly content to keep Spidey in the MCU and it was only when Disney started asking for more money did they pull out. The truth is, many imagine Sony as being eager to make their Spider-Verse happen, however this deal is very much in Sony's favor and only an idiot would pull out of it.
    I think that if it was intended to be the “last hurrah”, they would’ve said so. After all, this would be the best time to announce such a thing. Because, right now, the framing of such a move would be “we were going to end it here, but we decided to wrap it up with a neat little bow”. But they seem to have hinted that they intend to work more out later.

I mean, coupled with Feige’s statement and the Deadline article I shared earlier, it seems Spider-Man will be able to appear in Sony’s own movies now and Sony’s movies can reference the greater MCU. That seems to be the price that Disney had to pay to get 25% of the Spider-Man movie.

Still, I think, year-wise, this deal will be terminated around the same time that the last one did, just without another Spider-Man movie announced for their partnership. But, I mean, if you look at the timeline, it’d make sense for Sony to want another Spider-Man film out the year that his final crossover in this agreement occurs.

After all, I don’t see Spider-Man appearing in Thor: Love and Thunder, Blade, or Black Panther II. There are no further announcements on films, but there is only one 2022 released spot left and it is in July. Not the usual time you’d launch an Avengers film and, unless there is a really good reason to put Spider-Man in something else, I think his next MCU appearance will be in 2023–likely for an Avengers movie.

What this allows Feige to do is develop either the last appearance for Spider-Man in the MCU or the continuation of making him a bigger force in the MCU. Because, by the time that movie NEEDS to go into production, Sony and Disney will already need to have worked out what will happen with a fourth Spider-Man movie.

My guess, though, is that Sony sees the value of keeping that MCU connection, especially if they can extend it out to their other Sonyverse films. Co-financing mitigates their risk with further Spider-Man movies and, at a 75/25 split, makes them perhaps even more than they would’ve otherwise. Plus, it keeps a direct connection to the MCU alive in their universe.

Another thing co-financing did is legally entangle who has the rights to what in the next Spider-Man movie. Now, Disney OWNS, wholly, 25% of the picture. Sony can’t exactly break off from Disney now and have their fourth film without further complications than they would’ve had here. What that financial arrangement means to me is that Sony is hitching their wagon, 100%, to the MCU. It would take an ask of a minimum 50% take in the fourth Spider-Man movie for Sony to bail on this deal. But if Disney stays at a 75/25 split or, heck, even goes up to their THR reported minimum of 70/30, I think Sony will swallow it and keep their golden goose flying higher than ever in the MCU.

Of course, Sony might tank the deal if they make a huge amount less on the third one than they just did on the second one. But I don’t really see that happening myself. Still, I think this last point is why it wasn’t more long term. Both parties want to see how well this next movie performs for them so they can work out how an exact split should work more long-term.
    Last edited by TheDarman; 09-28-2019 at 10:07 AM.

interesting. well-- at least there's two more movies.

meanwhile are there competent producers on the Columbia-only projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    interesting. well-- at least there's two more movies.

meanwhile are there competent producers on the Columbia-only projects?
    That’s the thing that scares me. While I enjoyed Venom and both TASM movies, they are no where near the level of quality I’ve come to expect from an MCU film. And the people producing the ones in Sony’s franchise, Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, produced all of those movies. Pascal seems to be a competent producer, but only when she is surrounded by people like Feige and Lord and Miller. In fact, I’d bet the best ideas on those films probably came from her. But she’s outnumbered by the other two on the live action properties.