Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Spidey on-screen with the FF was never the point - Disney didn't even have FF when the first deal was struck.
    Also Spider-Man interacting with the FF has never been interesting to me. They just feel odd to see together.
    Odd?
    FF are the first heroes Spider-Man interacted with, he's basically the honorary 5th member of the FF, and officially the fifth In some runs.

Why do we assume Morbius will bomb? Why do we assume Sony thinks Morbius might bomb?
    Unknown character + lead actor who has never been a box-office draw + the director and screenwriters have only had box-office bombs on their belts = uninterested audiences.
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 09-27-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Why do we assume Morbius will bomb? Why do we assume Sony thinks Morbius might bomb?
    Because it's Morbius. And Sony. And Jared Leto. And Sony is already trying to make Madame Webb sound like an actual movie. Does that sound like a studio who knows what it's doing?

I might be wrong. Sony will definitely want it to be wrong and hope casuals assume it's another MCU film like Venom. But if it flops, then the Venomverse is going to look really shaky if Tom Hardy and (hopefully) Woody Harrelson is all that really works so far. They will want Tom's Spider-Man over there ASAP to patch that thing if so.

#WorstSpideyNewsEver
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Yeah, Sony just hired the Morbius writers to develop the Madame Web film so they must have some amount of confidence in Morbius. I wouldn't bet on it tanking.

As for Sony and Disney reaching a deal, I feel like it was inevitable that they would find a way to make this happen - if only for the sake of a smooth transition.

It benefits no one to have Spidey simply jerked out of the MCU. At least give a satisfying resolution and then if the studios want to go their separate ways, then at least it won't seem so abrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    Odd?
    FF are the first heroes Spider-Man interacted with, he's basically the honorary 5th member of the FF, and officially the fifth In some runs.
    Still doesn't make it not weird to me. To each their own, but the style and tone of Spider-Man's solo adventures and the FF don't make the character mesh with me. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Unknown character + lead actor who has never been a box-office draw + the director and screenwriters have only had box-office bombs on their belts.
    Unknown character is a crap excuse these days. I'll grant you the other points, though I can barely keep up with which actors are or aren't draws these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Because it's Morbius. And Sony. And Jared Leto. And Sony is already trying to make Madame Webb sound like an actual movie. Does that sound like a studio who knows what it's doing?

I might be wrong. Sony will definitely want it to be wrong and hope casuals assume it's another MCU film like Venom. But if it flops, then the Venomverse is going to look really shaky if Tom Hardy and (hopefully) Woody Harrelson is all that really works so far. They will want Tom's Spider-Man over there ASAP to patch that thing if so.
    So it's Morbius? Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Venom, Shazam, Aquaman, characters' comic book fame means nothing to the general audience who haven't heard of most of these guys anyways. Same with Madame Webb, what we think about these characters doesn't matter to their possible success as films. And Sony aren't some "can never make a profitable movie ever" studio. It sounds like a studio who is trying to expand the only superhero franchise it has to milk more money out of the superhero craze, which business wise is what they should be doing.

I'm just saying, using the comic book character's comic book fame or lack of as a measuring stick, and always assuming Sony will **** up, is kind of the wrong reasons to assume anything here.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if there's already plans for Sony and Marvel/Disney to sit back at the table and (attempt to) arrange something more long term after Spider-Man 3 is released.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's already plans for Sony and Marvel/Disney to sit back at the table and (attempt to) arrange something more long term after Spider-Man 3 is released.
    Agreed. Reception to both Venom (audience success) and Into The Spider Verse (critics success) is what probably caused the divide the first time, so now there's an extension maybe reaction to both Morbius, Venom 2 and any other announcements might decide if Holland sticks around in the MCU or not, assuming they don't just agree to merge the Venomverse into the MCU altogether and avoid shutting Peter from one reality to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Unknown character + lead actor who has never been a box-office draw + the director and screenwriters have only had box-office bombs on their belts = uninterested audiences.
    Plus Venom had far more name-brand recognition and frankly conceptually just seems more appealing then Morbius. And I like Morbius.

that sony board meeting where they decide that they’ll only greenlight movies they worry will bomb
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Plus Venom had far more name-brand recognition and frankly conceptually just seems more appealing then Morbius. And I like Morbius.
    blame marvel for making hits out of negative brand recognition ips
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now give me Kraven or bust .
    For real. I was actually down for that Wakandan Kraven rumor so to the very least i'm down for this third movie.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Looks like I was right that it was a 75/25 split after all. Glad to see they came to an agreement. It looks like Sony also got what it wanted by allowing for Spider-Man to be used in Sony’s films too.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    that sony board meeting where they decide that they’ll only greenlight movies they worry will bomb
    Is this a real thing? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Agreed. Reception to both Venom (audience success) and Into The Spider Verse (critics success) is what probably caused the divide the first time, so now there's an extension maybe reaction to both Morbius, Venom 2 and any other announcements might decide if Holland sticks around in the MCU or not, assuming they don't just agree to merge the Venomverse into the MCU altogether and avoid shutting Peter from one reality to another.
    I mean, of course Sony wants to see returns on the third Spider-Man film before reupping more long term. I mean, they had to give up 25% of the movie to Disney to make this happen. My guess is that if it performs better than Far From Home, they’ll go back with a 75/25 split for future installments.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.