Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

According to Deadline, Disney made some concessions to get Sony to agree to co-financing and profit-sharing of the next Spider-Man movie. Namely?

The Sony universe of films will be tied into the MCU in a “call and answer” kind of way, where each franchise may reference each other in a “shared detail universe”.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    According to Deadline, Disney made some concessions to get Sony to agree to co-financing and profit-sharing of the next Spider-Man movie. Namely?

The Sony universe of films will be tied into the MCU in a “call and answer” kind of way, where each franchise may reference each other in a “shared detail universe”.
    I kind of like that, actually. The way Venom is set up makes it sound like it can happen in the MCU. Morbius may do the same. Hope that means a stronger connection between both as well as an end to the complaints about the Stark references (as more Spider-Man characters can appear in these movies).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I kind of like that, actually. The way Venom is set up makes it sound like it can happen in the MCU. Morbius may do the same. Hope that means a stronger connection between both as well as an end to the complaints about the Stark references (as more Spider-Man characters can appear in these movies).
    I actually like the "call and response" approach. It allows writers freedom to use material as background while going about their stuff. Alan Moore once said that was the only real way shared universes ought to be run.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    *Reads news*

Oh...

Well, nothing can be done about it now; so I might as well enjoy the ride. Here's hoping for a successful trilogy and possibly even being the best of the three movies; breaking the third movie curse for superhero movies.

That said, anyone want to make bets on how much Tony Stark will have influence on the narrative from beyond the grave? Perhaps this time the villain will directly target Peter due to his relationship with the deceased due to having lost the opportunity to go after Tony himself (as he's well..you know...dead). Place your bets! Show me the money!
    Given how the previous movie ended, I suspect very little. Far more likely the villian(s) of SM3 will go after Peter for personal (Scorpion), professional (Kraven) or a mix of both.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Yeah, that's just a personal opinion then. Spider-Man and the FF are thick as butter: Johnny Storm is his superhero best friend, he's joined the team/been paired up with them several times, they were his first superfriends, and he even fought their enemy, Dr. Doom, as his first outside villain. If you're saying you prefer him with the X-Men, then that's fine. But he's far more than just a random pairing.
    Let's just say that I think things change.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Additionally, MCU now finally has to taken into account that their spiderman does need a lot of improvement and their movies don't yet have what it takes for a great spiderman film we have seen in the past.
    Can't say I see what would give them that message; they've been going good so far and finishing deep in the black. The deal initially falling through was due to business dealings, not a response to the quality of the content. Heck, when the it looked like it was off, the Internet in general took Marvel Studio's side. I get that you don't like the movies very much, but that doesn't really change the fact that they're doing well by any metric.

Hope that doesn't prove to be a bad decision.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Too true but I've pretty much exhausted myself pointing out the actual comic book precedence it has. If people are determined not to like something, they'll find a way.
    To be fair, Spidey being under Tony in the comics was questionable too, not only is Spidey Tony's senior as a super-hero, Tony is no way someone to be someone's "teacher" or whatever for long, maybe when they just started, but again, Spidey is his senior by a few months lol.

Finally some good news! Spidey staying in the MCU literally made my day. I hope it's the ultimate deal (that will extend for more movies, not just one cameo and third solo movie) and Parker will stay where he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Finally some good news! Spidey staying in the MCU literally made my day. I hope it's the ultimate deal (that will extend for more movies, not just one cameo and third solo movie) and Parker will stay where he belongs.
    I think it’ll be a substantial role that he ends up in in that MCU film. And I’d guess it gives Disney the ability to tie up any loose ends with the character should re-negotiations go sideways like they almost did here. If they have the later film, they can make arrangements for his exit from the Avengers in a wholistic way. But my guess is this is an interim deal for Sony and Disney, both of whom also made a big distribution deal for Sony’s PlayStation Vue service to stream Disney’s content, to make a bigger deal, that is more comprehensive and beneficial to both parties for a continued, long-term partnership.

So, what, Tom Hardy's Brock can mention The Avengers or Spider-Man now? Not sure that's really going to make much of a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Let's just say that I think things change.
    Doesn't seem like an "anytime soon" kind of change though...

That's an interesting little detail. Really curious how this plays out.

Amazing Member

This is a win-win situation.
    The fans of the MCU version of the character will get what will be, most likely, a last-hurray-kind-of-movie to smooth the transition into the "solo" Sony's Spider-Verse.

In the future, fans of a more adult/mature version of the character (a la Sam Raimi/Mark Webb) not shackled to Tony Stark or any big MCU event/character will get exactly that.

In case the Sony-verse should flop, which is highly likely, Disney and Sony will make a new deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So, what, Tom Hardy's Brock can mention The Avengers or Spider-Man now? Not sure that's really going to make much of a difference.
    I disagree. For Sony, that means that they can become more like “essential viewing” for the Marvel faithful that turn up for every MCU movie. We know that is a lot of people that Sony would love to have coming out for their movies too. Of course, they’re going to be more or less inconsequential to the MCU, but it allows Sony to make an easier case to the consumer to come see their films. And having Spider-Man in them is no small deal for them either.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I think what the new deal means is that Spider-Man will have his own universe within the MCU so to speak, which will include Venom and the other spin-offs. But Spider-Man (so long as it's Holland's version) will exist in the MCU and by extension so would the characters from his universe, but those other characters may not interact with the rest of the MCU until both companies agree on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I think what the new deal means is that Spider-Man will have his own universe within the MCU so to speak, which will include Venom and the other spin-offs. But Spider-Man (so long as it's Holland's version) will exist in the MCU and by extension so would the characters from his universe, but those other characters may not interact with the rest of the MCU until both companies agree on something.
    I think this is an appropriate read of the situation. My understanding is that the Venomverse will basically be the pocket universe. There will be certain things that will be referenced in the MCU, but not much. I’m guessing it’ll mostly be one-directional with Sony referencing the big stuff in the MCU way more. Meanwhile, the Spider-Man films will remain firmly a part of the MCU with Feige co-producing and allowing crossovers with Marvel characters. For Sony, the only MCU character will be their Spider-Man that they share with the MCU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCampy89 View Post
    This is a win-win situation.
    The fans of the MCU version of the character will get what will be, most likely, a last-hurray-kind-of-movie to smooth the transition into the "solo" Sony's Spider-Verse.

In the future, fans of a more adult/mature version of the character (a la Sam Raimi/Mark Webb) not shackled to Tony Stark or any big MCU event/character will get exactly that.

In case the Sony-verse should flop, which is highly likely, Disney and Sony will make a new deal.
    I question the reasoning that the next Spider-Man will be "adult and mature" do people just forget the Webb and Raimi movies had him young and in high school?
    Why would that change?
    I swear it's like it's only a problem now because out of the three people playing Spider-Man he actually looked and was close to the age his character was supposed to be