Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm actually awestruck at how great he looks-- and how the CW restrained themselves from over complicating his suit. He jumped off the page, more or less. There's no litany of seams or overly aggressive detail work to make the costume look "cool," it's just flippin' Superman.

He looks absolutely great. Getting him to play a less jaded Clark in a Son of Superman show would be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Let’s say the earths merge.

Supposedly Routh was recently surprised with the news he was let go from Legends of Tomorrow.

What if you strip the aging they did here and cast him alongside Erica Durance in a Son of Superman show? With Cryer as Lex.

I’ve already seen speculation that JWS might just be Jay Garrick after COIE and Henry Allen might get recast for flashbacks.

There’s constant rumors they want to do Son of Superman on TV. Hoechlin is a bit young and his Superman is just having a kid now.

But if the earths merge, you could end up with a 40-ish Routh who already has a 10 year old Jon as the Crisis-altered status quo.

Keep Hoechlin around as the new Ray Palmer.
    I'm good with all of this.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

A few observations/opinions on this...

1) No offense to Welling or Hoechlin...but they give off a vibe they are actors "playing" Superman. But this....I'm looking at Superman. Like Cavill and Reeve before him. That's not to say I don't enjoy Hoechlin and Welling in their portrayles,but this is Superman.

I always thought Routh got screwed royally. While I thought at the time of Returns he looked way too young to step into Chris Reeve's version of Superman, I felt he had huge potential,but everything seemed to work against him. Weird looking costume, a script/story that managed to be both a poor remake and a questionable continuation of the Reeve era films,a bad choice for his Lois Lane, and more recently,the revelations that both the director and his Lex Luthor are possible sexual preditors,it all seemed to forever taint his short stint as Superman. So I'm glad he actually gets another shot at cementing his legacy in the role beyond the albatross of Superman Returns. He's always seemed like a nice humble guy who should have been a bigger Star than he is.

Also, that costume ....one of the best live action versions of a Superman costume. It hits almost all the right marks. The boots look weird,but I'm sure they will look fine in motion.

It also looks like Routh's Superman may end up being the "Star" of this story. Of course Oliver,Barry,Kara and the rest of the Arrowverse will be at the center,but i think it's safe to say Routh's Superman,who for all intents and purposes is basically a continuation of the Donner/Reeve era Superman,will be the key character and probably end up being the leader to bring all the different Earth's heroes against the Anti-monitor.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Another image floating around:

I didn't know that brandon Routh was this jacked. I always found skinnier in the returns movie. But, this makes Hoechlin’s superman skinny.

I don’t know if the boots are actually as weird as they look in that pic. Looks like they might just have the ‘V’ shape at the top like he usually does and this is probably just a weird angle.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It also looks like Routh's Superman may end up being the "Star" of this story. Of course Oliver,Barry,Kara and the rest of the Arrowverse will be at the center,but i think it's safe to say Routh's Superman,who for all intents and purposes is basically a continuation of the Donner/Reeve era Superman,will be the key character and probably end up being the leader to bring all the different Earth's heroes against the Anti-monitor.
    I'm betting he's going to fill the Earth 2 Superman role. Since he's playing the Returns' Superman he's effectively playing the Donner Superman which in a lot of ways is analogous as a live action Superman to Earth 2's comic version (i.e. the forefather of them all). He either sacrifices himself so Hoechlin's Superman doesn't have to (poignant you still have a chance with Lois & your son that he gave up) or rides off into a paradise dimension at the end to be met by "his" Lois (maybe Bosworth is cameoing) and their son. Since Returns Superman is the Donner Superman I can't see him getting anything less than some kind of poignant send off.

The interesting thing is Durance's Lois is set for "multiple" appearances in her announcement. Something that I don't recall seeing in the others. I'm curious if Welling's Superman may fill the "Flash" role here being trapped by the Anti Monitor and Durrance ends up with the crew of characters searching for him or something? If he's captured in the first part, in Smallville, it'd obviate the need to have him in the costume if he truly doesn't want to wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    What if you strip the aging they did here and cast him alongside Erica Durance in a Son of Superman show? With Cryer as Lex.
    Durance isn't his Lois so that would be kinda weird for me.
    I’ve already seen speculation that JWS might just be Jay Garrick after COIE and Henry Allen might get recast for flashbacks.
    Assuming the shows even want to use JWS as Jay again...
    Keep Hoechlin around as the new Ray Palmer.
    That would be so random. I don't think Hoechlin would fit Ray, even Arrowverse Ray.

Retired

The thing I liked about Brandon Routh as Superman in SUPERMAN RETURNS is that he looked like Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson drew him.

Now with these promo photos, he looks like Neal Adams and Dick Giordano drew him. [Although, comic book art 101, the boot closest to the viewer should point forward (to the camera) and the other boot point sideways--Adams would never have had both boots pointing sideways in the same direction, it's not dynamic.]

I am so happy Brandon is getting a chance to reprise the role. I love him in Superman Returns. The suit looks fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Shame this is being wasted on CW, looks pretty good.
    The CW is really about the only place something like this could happen. A two and a half hour movie couldn't at this point in time. They couldn't even pull off a good Justice League movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    And damn it, that man needs a Superman show. Or I need for that man to have a Superman show.

One of those two. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Hell yeah. Give that man a "Superman & Son" TV show and you've got a helluva great setup.
    What could they do on a Superman show that they can't with Supergirl? You'd just get a male version of Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The CW is really about the only place something like this could happen. A two and a half hour movie couldn't at this point in time. They couldn't even pull off a good Justice League movie.

What could they do on a Superman show that they can't with Supergirl? You'd just get a male version of Supergirl.
    JL was fine, IMO. I really enjoy it. It just wasn't great or amazing like it should. I rather watch it than the Arroverse shows. That said, I'm excited to see this crossover for Routh and Clois.

And a Superman show in the CW isn't exciting to me. Especially not while SG is on. The world doesn't need Superman when it has Supergirl, remember kids!!

Last edited by stargazer01; 09-28-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Supergirl's the spin-off character, Superman's the main man. It only makes sense people want him to get a show. I mean, personally I couldn't think of a bigger waste than finally getting a Superman show and have it feature that obnoxious kid, but if the general idea of a Superman show would be nixed because of the logic that he's just a male Supergirl well....that would kinda call into quesiton Supergirl's entire existence. Because in reality its flipped, Supergirl is just a female version of Superman. The differences are in the characterization, if not subtle.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I want a Superman show, I don't care what premise is has just get it done. I know with SG still on air, it won't happen but I can wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Supergirl's the spin-off character, Superman's the main man. It only makes sense people want him to get a show. I mean, personally I couldn't think of a bigger waste than finally getting a Superman show and have it feature that obnoxious kid, but if the general idea of a Superman show would be nixed because of the logic that he's just a male Supergirl well....that would kinda call into quesiton Supergirl's entire existence. Because in reality its flipped, Supergirl is just a female version of Superman. The differences are in the characterization, if not subtle.
    In the Arroverse, Supergirl is the big dog. Superman is in awe of her...

It's why I don't care about it at all.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    In the Arroverse, Supergirl is the big dog. Superman is in awe of her...

It's why I don't care about it at all.
    I can picture Hoelchin's Superman having a daughter and calling her Kara like Earth's greatest champion.