• Manifest Destiny

0 0%
  • Regenesis

0 0%
  • ResurrXion

1 2.70%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'd rather they not do that.

I feel like they're gonna wait till the Hickman stuff settles in and then adapt that. The mcu slate's full until like 2021 right? That gives them some time. Plus i remember someone mentioning in an interview teasing HoX that theres a scene thats "perfect for an mcu movie" in one of the issues..tres subtle

If not we're basically guaranteed a whedon/morrison mashup.

I think they might pull a bit from X-men evolution as mutants were a secret and their initial goal was to keep it a secret while Magneto wanted exposure.

The early days of Ultimate X-men might also be incorporated because it was the early days of their intro. Forget the whole government experiment angle, that was introduced years after.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-29-2019 at 09:46 AM.

None. Hickman is here to revamp the X-men for a reason. I’m betting the current comic book “Krakoa” status quo will feature heavily into their MCU set up, to make it feel very differentiated from the FOX films.

To be fair, not everything from the '00s and the '10s is bad. There's still good stuff to take influence from. Hickman's revamp is absolutely needed, yes, but we can't disregard everything before it.

I don’t think they will. I think it’ll be some hybrid. They’ll use lots of stuff that came before. I just mean I think they’ll go with this new set up of the Krakoan nation-state as part of introducing mutants to the MCU. They’ll likely establish that they’ve been around but perhaps powerful telepaths like Xavier, Jean and Emma Frost have been keeping them hidden. Possibly with the knowledge of Nick Fury and others. Something like that. I don’t think it’ll be a complete adaptation of the Hickman HoX/PoX run or anything like that. For example not sure they’ll touch all the future stuff in X to the 2nd and 3rd power (100 and 1000 years in the future), and they may not even touch the Many Lives of Moira McTaggert. At least not at first.

But I think they’ll use the Krakoan set up versus the Westchester school set up. But that doesn’t mean they couldn’t do some stuff from Morrison’s run, for example. Or even Messiah Complex/Second Coming. I’d imagine they’ll use some older stuff too. I fully expect Sinister to be a big villain and them to adapt the Mutant Massacre at some point. It’s too good and straightforward not to use it, and Sinister would make a great big bad for the MCU.

I don’t know, I have a hard time imagining Hickman’s revamp is intended for the film slate, if for nothing else than the fact that Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics don’t talk. Like, almost not at all according to Bleeding Cool.

That’s not to say I don’t think it’s possible we’ll see HOXPOX influence on the eventual films. As I said earlier in the thread, I only left HOXPOXDOX off the poll because it isn’t a finished product yet.

I'm not sure if Krakoa right off the bat is a good idea. HoX/PoX was written off the back of years of anti-mutant racism, and them striking their own following their realization they will become the new dominant species. If they were hiding the mutants the entire time while messing with people's minds, that'd get them to hate mutants pretty fast and for an admittedly good reason. Plus, it'd be too limiting for them to already have their own nation, as then it'd be hard for them to interact with the other MCU characters. I feel like Krakoa needs to come later, when the setup is there.

As for how I thought about mutants joining the MCU, I always imagined the Snap as being like the MCU counterpart to the Atom that activates the dormant X-Gene in the public, creating mutants. Beforehand, you could have your extremely rare genetic offshoots like Professor X, Magneto, Selene, Apocalypse, Wolverine, Sabretooth, Jonas Graymalkin, Mystique, Destiny, and so on. You could retcon Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being miracles as being attributed to the X-Gene. Sounds pretty easy and ties into the lore just fine. You could also explain mutant racism through that angle, as them getting power from such a catastrophic event, that the mutants will be seen as demons, combined with the already prominent idea of them replacing humanity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    As for how I thought about mutants joining the MCU, I always imagined the Snap as being like the MCU counterpart to the Atom that activates the dormant X-Gene in the public, creating mutants. Beforehand, you could have your extremely rare genetic offshoots like Professor X, Magneto, Selene, Apocalypse, Wolverine, Sabretooth, Jonas Graymalkin, Mystique, Destiny, and so on. You could retcon Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being miracles as being attributed to the X-Gene. Sounds pretty easy and ties into the lore just fine. You could also explain mutant racism through that angle, as them getting power from such a catastrophic event, that the mutants will be seen as demons, combined with the already prominent idea of them replacing humanity.
    I'd seen something that suggested the Eternals will be setting up the X-Men as the source of the X-Gene in the MCU. Which would be a hell of a lot better than the Ultimate origin (which would have a 90% probability of being Stark tech were they to go that route).

I don't want them to adapt HoX/PoX. At least not in the phase the X-Men are introduced in. After 3 films of more recognizable X-Men, then I'd be up for them adapting Hickman's arc. I expect they'll adapt House of M, because it'll fit well within an MCU that already has Wanda. And I hope they end up adapting the messiah trilogy. Anyways, if they do, they'll mix it with older storylines, for sure. Wasn't in Whedon's run the mutant cure storyline? That was adapted in The Last Stand so, if they adapt Whedon, I hope they skip that.

To be fair, The Last Stand had heavily watered down that story alongside combining it with an even worse take on The Dark Phoenix Saga. They could be forgiven for trying something like that again, with a better take that more heavily involves the sci-fi elements and general fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'd seen something that suggested the Eternals will be setting up the X-Men as the source of the X-Gene in the MCU. Which would be a hell of a lot better than the Ultimate origin (which would have a 90% probability of being Stark tech were they to go that route).
    I suppose that’s possible, but far as I’m aware, that rumor wasn’t coming from a terribly reputable source. And it wouldn’t have been part of their original plan.

Guess we’ll see. But I’d be willing to bet they don’t want to redo the school angle and will instead go for this new take.

I have no doubt the school will be referenced and they’ll explain that they operated out of there for years, staying under the radar (likely with some psychic help). But the timing of the Hickman revamp, the hype around it... that just screams “whiteboard for the MCU to see if it sticks.” And right now it’s looking like a hit.

The school feels way too natural to do, and now too integrated into the comics to ignore. It just makes way too much sense. Plus, Fox with their messy continuity and focus on Wolverine meant it wasn't even important. They can do all sorts of fun stuff with the school setting.

Mutants on Krakoa might be a great new status quo but I think it betrays essential brand pillars: persecution, ostracism and the dream of assimilation.

Having superpowered persons as part of a foreign state with a difficult governing body is the Inhumans.