Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default South Park Forever!

Its hard to believe that South Park has now ran 23+ seasons. I remember as a teenager when it launched back in 1997 that I never imagined it would last beyond 2000. The show then (and even now) was so over the line I didn't think it could last. Comedy Central really wasn't considered a big cable network and this was before the Daily Show really hit its prime under Jon Stewart.

It hit in the right era as soon pro wrestling took notice. In fact you can credit Vince Russo for this idea in 1997. As a group of characters called The Oddities would be coming to the ring , one of the guys involved started carrying this.

This and Hollywood took notice as soon Jennifer Aniston and George Clooney did voices on the show. The show had crossed over more into toys and video games as well. As the 2000's rolled along ; South Park continued. It soon became more clearer on storylines ; multiple episodes could be used for one big story to tell. Soon whole seasons was being dedicated to 1 big storyline.

What is wild is this cartoon could have ended up on Fox Network at one time. The old story is South Park was given a pilot by Fox who then saw it and realized that there was no way the cartoon would survive on network. So Parker & Stone was helped by them to take it to Comedy Central who seemingly made a great decision as we know.

Now the series is so big , its spawned 2 great games. A fact many folks are now discovering just how good this show is and how 23 years later it is forever.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Last time I saw it they were trying to place Kenny's soul into a baked ham. Not sure how long ago that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Last time I saw it they were trying to place Kenny's soul into a baked ham. Not sure how long ago that was.
    Its been years since then , Kenny now doesn't die (he barely dies anymore) and they have done a huge deal on why he did a couple years ago.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

BANNED

I used to love this show. Kinda just had a falling out with it; nothing really against it.

Still love the (first?...are there others?) movie, though, and have many of the songs memorized still.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I used to love this show. Kinda just had a falling out with it; nothing really against it.

Still love the (first?...are there others?) movie, though, and have many of the songs memorized still.
    There are a few three-part storylines that Comedy Central often airs as "South Park Movies," but there's only been one theatrical film.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 09-28-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    There a few three-part storylines that Comedy Central often airs as "South Park Movies," but there's only been one theatrical film.
    Yeah there is the "Imagination Land" storyline that ran 3-4 episodes , "Black Friday" etc.

I hope next year we get a sequel to Black Friday since PS5 and X-Box are launching that fall.

BANNED

Funny story: I was in 8th grade when the show first came out, but didn't really get into it till the year after. My brother, a year younger than me, also got into it.

By the time the theatrical movie releases, we have our 4 or 5 year old nephew into the show (he LOVED Kenny), and we convince our dad to take all 3 of us to see the movie. He had absolutely no idea how vulgar the show/movie was, but he still laughed his ass off and we weren't in trouble or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Yeah there is the "Imagination Land" storyline that ran 3-4 episodes , "Black Friday" etc.
    Wait, I saw Imagination Land, and one where guinea pigs were the size of Godzilla running amok (they used real guinea pigs for the effect, I guess some form of rotoscopping).

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its been years since then , Kenny now doesn't die (he barely dies anymore) and they have done a huge deal on why he did a couple years ago.
    Yep. Even touches on the episodic deaths too. And how Kenny himself reacts to it.

Nicest thing I can say is that it's on season 23 and can still make me laugh my ass off.

Compared to the Simpsons (really it and Family Guy are the only shows to compare it to in terms of age), I'm still mostly entertained by it. I think it's helped because it's always been offensive, crude, and the plots have been bat **** crazy. There are definitely misses, especially now that they have continuity, but there's usually at least an episode or two per season that's gold.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

I still love South Park. THe only problem I had with it was Sason 20 the troll Hunter season. It just wasnt funny.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Nicest thing I can say is that it's on season 23 and can still make me laugh my ass off.

Compared to the Simpsons (really it and Family Guy are the only shows to compare it to in terms of age), I'm still mostly entertained by it. I think it's helped because it's always been offensive, crude, and the plots have been bat **** crazy. There are definitely misses, especially now that they have continuity, but there's usually at least an episode or two per season that's gold.

My biggest complaint is them trying to do big long arcs at times. A lot of times single episodes work and there was a loose continuity at times.

- Mr. Garrison becoming a woman storyline.

- Guest stars returning to take down South Park a few years ago. All celebrities who felt they were done wrong.

- Imagination Land where the various make believe characters and more appear. (Woodland critters etc).

There was a loose continuity then. Now they do these long season arcs. And this year seems to be a long arc planned as well.

I don't like the political episodes that much. I think they wrote themselves into a corner when they turned Garrison into Trump. But the best episodes are the ones that draw from the characters of the four main boys, and sometimes Butters. That's why one of my favorite episodes is Margarine, which draws from the boys' characters and from memories of the silly stuff we all did as kids. I remember those folding "fortune-tellers," so it's not that far of a satirical stretch to have the boys do their "analysis" of it to find out just how it's able to tell the future. The Pet Sematery parody in that episode was also hilarious.

South Park spoiler for season #23 , episode #2.

-

-

-

-

-

- Randy decides to go to China as he read online that companies are going to Chinese to get huge amounts of cash for their businesses in that market. Ignoring his angry son Stan who wants to leave Integrity Farms and go back home. Also he skips out on going to the Autumn Fest where Stan's band will perform.

- At the show Stan and his group are a death metal act. Which gets them a producer who questions them , "A record deal ? Are you guys from the 90's ?" He wants to make them social stars and do a film with 3 acts.

- Not to detail the entire episode but South Park draws on its history as we see evil Mickey Mouse appear as he stands around all he owns from Star Wars characters , to Marvel and finally Winnie the Pooh & Piglet. He questions who a Randy Marsh is as he's told he's from South Park. "Do I own it ?" "Not yet sir..."

Another spot we see is boy group I can't mention on CBR return after 19 seasons. Their last appearance was season #4 or #5. Anyhow the boys as this group decide they can't sell out like this.

- The highlight is Randy kills Winnie the Pooh to make the Chinese happy !

BANNED

I used to be a big south park fan but back then they were wild.... Matt&Trey turned into complete conservatives over the years. They even made a priest look heroic and good even if all the child molestation cases... Priests are finally out in the open, finally... May be people will do something about this but in their crisis moment Matt&Trey come to child molester priests help.... I was really dissapointed in them. I read some Marquise De Sade, his book Sodom... And Priests did all kinds of child molestation in that book, and that book was written in freaking 1750s freaking 18th century.... how can they defend priests... after all these years Priests molested children and finally it's public attation and Matt&Trey made a priest look good in their show... I will never watch south park again.
    Last edited by Gurz; 10-04-2019 at 10:18 PM.