Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

*shrugs* I think he's written a great Lois since after Action 1004.
    Can't really comment on that. I thought his Lois was absolutely terrible and quit reading shortly after Jon came back in his late teens. I don't recall the issue number. I recall it was bad enough I quit reading regularly, so can't say whether or not it improved later. I've read maybe two issues since then, and haven't been impressed. You never get a second chance to make a first impression, and I've since learned to bow out when I don't like something - in my experience, I'm much more likely to continue disliking it than for it take a turn I like. If I hear enough positive feedback from people who shared my opinion of the early characterization, then maybe I'll check it out again.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-03-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    *shrugs* I think he's written a great Lois since after Action 1004. Her team up with Clark as Andi and Chaz (now one of my favorite Lois and Clark ideas ever), her talk with her dad, and pretty much the lion's share of her stuff in Event Leviathan leaves me pretty satisfied. Even if Rucka's Lois is more comprehensive a take, for my money at least, Bendis has been writing a strong Lois as of late. My opinion of course.

I wonder if this has to do with Lex's mystery box? Is he the other person she's talking about? Or is this talking about Clark's identity (but then don't more than just two people know that?)? How does this link to her time in space?
    Bendis' Lois improved a ton after Action 1004. Leviathan Rising and Event: Leviathan have actually been some of the better takes on Lois in recent memory. I still see hints of Erica Durrance's Lois in her. Rucka can't write a bad Lois if he tried I don't think.

Its odd because I am curious if it's all going to tie into Doomsday Clock, with Lex showing Lois the photos and her now seemingly being keyed into the prior versions of the Metaverse with her conversation with Renee. It all seems to line up.

I think way more than two people know Clark's ID. Waller, Batman, most of the Justice League. Plus, that would not work in the context of her conversation with Renee. Answers to Renees questions would have nothing to do with Clark.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I enjoyed this issue. I'd like the stakes to start getting higher, but I am also enjoying the calmness and getting to see the questions finally have a much needed talk. Lois seems sort of at peace with the situation with her son at this point, I'd like a future issue where we really see how she is processing all of this more, because I imagine it's a lot for any mom to take in.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    It’s a waste of time if Rucka has no investment in Jon or his relationship with Lois and it doesn’t add anything to the story he is trying to tell. It felt like a scene that Rucka included because Bendis asked him to, not because it really served what Rucka is trying to say about Lois. It lacked the sparkle of the Clark and Lois scenes we’ve seen in this series as well as the Lois and Montoya scenes. Those felt like they were saying something about Lois. This felt like generic Mom and Teenage Son.

Likewise I had mixed feelings about the Charlie/Montoya scenes. They were very well-written, and Greg’s love for them was clear. However, it felt like those scenes were more about explaining (or not explaining) Charlie was around and not moving Lois’s story forward. I want to read Rucka on Lois, not Rucka trying to explain DC continuity.
    This, this, this.

If this series is only 12 issues, I want it to tell a tight, great story that doesn't have to tie into current events that won't be meaningful in 5 or 10 years. In an ongoing, I can easily forgive some meandering and some obligatory "reflect what's going on in related titles" moves. I enjoyed the scenes with Jon and the structured parallel heart-to-hearts in restaurants, but if Lois isn't going to have an ongoing title, then I want this to be 12 focused issues that ultimately tell a single great story where almost everything progresses the narrative around Lois.

Really, I wish there were enough faith for this to be an ongoing, although maybe it isn't because of the rumored big kaboom realignment coming up at the end of 2020.

So, LOIS LANE #4

Well, this is the issue that really shows the downside of having your series be fully in-present-continuity with a larger shared universe.

The first, and most obvious, intrusion is from Bendis' dreadful "reorganizing" of the Super nuclear family. Every appearance of aged-up Jon now no longer saddens me, it actively angers me. I've gone from wishing Young Jon somehow is brought back all the way to wanting this aged-up Jon to simply vanish from existence with no explanation. If Bendis long con was to get me to hate the character, he succeeded far earlier than I thought he would.

So disappear into the future with the Legion, have that book inevitably get prematurely canceled like all LOSH books do, and simply never reference Jon ever again.

Enough about the brat. Moving on.

The 2nd intrusion seems to be tied to either Year of the Villain or Doomsday Clock, either of which just muddy up an already unclear situation with Leviathan. That scene between the two Questions could have happened in someone else's maxi-series, not Lois'.

I guess I was kinda hoping for this series to be for Lois what The Black Ring saga was for Lex. And so far, it ain't that.

But we still have 8 issues left. Who is the crazy barefoot lady with the gun? I thought maybe that was Rose/Thorn at first, but now think maybe not.

And that cliffhanger ending was easily the most boring cliffhanger ending I can recall. If Lois had even gave away a tantalizing clue as to what she's hiding it would have made more sense.

Overall grade: D (w/Jon scenes), C (w/o Jon)
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 10-13-2019 at 03:35 AM.

So this issue deals with Jon being poochied over to the legion. The next one has to address Sam apparently being killed off in Leviathan. Then the neeext one is going to deal with Clark revealing his identity to the world. I was going to catch up on this series eventually but it sounds to me like this was a terrible time to give Lois her own book. If this is just issue after issue of following the aftermath of her life being flipped upside down in Bendis’s other books.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    So this issue deals with Jon being poochied over to the legion. The next one has to address Sam apparently being killed off in Leviathan. Then the neeext one is going to deal with Clark revealing his identity to the world. I was going to catch up on this series eventually but it sounds to me like this was a terrible time to give Lois her own book. If this is just issue after issue of following the aftermath of her life being flipped upside down in Bendis’s other books.
    I would imagine part of the reason DC agreed to give her a book now was because of all these events happening in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I would imagine part of the reason DC agreed to give her a book now was because of all these events happening in her life.
    Is Jimmy Olsen’s book like that? I’m still planning to catch up on that eventually.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Is Jimmy Olsen’s book like that? I’m still planning to catch up on that eventually.
    No, Jimmy's book has been almost entirely independent of any other series. Lex is even hanging around doing business man things.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    No, Jimmy's book has been almost entirely independent of any other series. Lex is even hanging around doing business man things.
    I imagine that won't last too long since Matt Fraction is always included in Bendis's Superman retweets with rucka where they plan out future stories.