Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What would you want from a new X-Men animated series on Disney+?

The recent news that X-Men: TAS, X-Men Evolution, and Wolverine and the X-Men are on Disney+ only reaffirmed why I’m glad they’re back in Marvel’s hands. It also made me want a brand new animated series, as I think we’re due for a new one after all these years.

I think the perfect platform is right there: Disney+. They can just focus on making a good series, without a middleman. So, if they make an X-Men animated series for the service, what would you want?

For me, I’d hope Jeph Loeb is kept the hell away from it. He makes the kind of shows only a five-year-old would appreciate and openly admits he thinks cartoons are dumb. That’s not who should be making an X-Men animated series.

I would like a show that adapts and distills various aspects of the mythos from different stories and eras, while adding its own flair and having clever writing with an extensive cast. I think Young Justice is the perfect show that represents what a modern X-Men animated series could be. Hell, just get Greg Weisman while they’re at it. I’d have it clear other superheroes exist like Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and the Avengers, but practice moderation in regards to how they’re used.

I’d also like Marvel Studios to produce, rather than Marvel TV. Them branching out to animation with What If gives me hope. Basically, what they’ve done so far with Marvel animation? Don’t do that.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Hybrid; 09-29-2019 at 03:10 AM.

A story driven show with good animation, none of that goofy mess that did with Avengers Assembled season 1-4 (5 wasn't that bad at ALL tbh).
    Give me a good score too with a good cast with room to expand because I want to see more x-characters (new x-men, hellions, new mutants etc etc).

Do story arcs we never got to see animated (I'd love to see deadly genesis animated/Vulcan acting a fool for a few episodes).

I just want something with good animation and action.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

soap-operatic punk-unpop-synth with a non-binary post-seinen manga feel, on the gender fluid multilingual anthropocene set; from a solar powered sail boat called "How Dare You" (without a holler back at, yet with that, 'after-Kitty' affect)
    Last edited by sungila; 09-28-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

WaTXM season 2 would be a good start
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

More modern mutants. Academy X, the Lights, Bendis-era. If I can't get Surge, Prodigy, Pixie, Transonic, Zero, Goldballs, Hindsight, and it's just a 90's era cast instead, I'm not sure what the point of making it is.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I would like to see them do it like Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, or Earths Mightest Heroes. Have a season long over arching story playing in the background with smaller stories mixed in. Sort of like how comics should be. The big thing is DON'T DUMB IT DOWN like they did with Avengers Assemble. Kids and teens are not stupid and writing your show to appeal to 5 years olds is just not a good idea.

Japanese are the BEST animators for cartoons and anime does not cost that much. A great high budget anime cost 300k an episode. I want Japanese animation with an "american" art style.

^Example above. Disney now owns X-men and Disney has deep pockets. I want 500k an episode for a 13 episode season. Season finale (episode 12 +13) is 1 mil an episode. X-men is back with Marvel so lets not cheap out on the next cartoon and remind people why X-men is great. Ideally the show will have 5 seasons and a special or 2.

As for the story I want the usual.
    1st season. X-men fight Mag and brotherhood. We meet Sinister and a bunch of low tier villians. X-men struggle bewteen fighting Magneto and helping mutants. Mag takes it too far kills a lot of poeple,X-men fight and beat him up in season finale. Xavier spares his bff.

2nd season. Sentinels and human hate groups, (Reavers, friends of humanity, purifiers). These groups form after the events of season 1 finale. Magneto forms Genosha. Sentinels are no joke and are killing/imprisoning mutants. Season ends with a showdown against Nimrod. Sentinels Nuke Genosha.

3rd Season. Apocalypse makes his move. **** hits the fan and basically everyone (mutant, human, robot, villains, heroes) has to work together to stop him which is hard because oppressed mutants actually turn to him for salvation (Frenzy, Caliban, etc).Humans reveal Master mold. X-mansion is destroyed. Jean/Phoenix and everyone else beat him after a hard fight with heavy loses. Jean dies.

4th Season. After Apocalypse is defeated the government proposes its final solution to the mutant problem. Bastion is introduced. Xavier killed by someone/something(idunno what atm) Cyclops leads the X-men and founds a mutant nation.

5th season. Tying up all the lose ends from the other seasons. Seasons ends with mutants defending their nation and some mutants decide they should go back and bring change from within. Cyclops dies in the final fight. We see Apocalypse is still alive. Etc

It goes without saying that various mutant villains/heroes/factions should be introduced over the seasons. This show will be very character driven like the seasons 1-4 of Game of Thrones. I want to see characters grow and change. For better or worse. Also I want to see a lot of characters!

Great animation and fight scenes are srsly needed( like the gif above).
    A great art style too (Not as anime-ish as the cowboy bebop gif above).

The overall tone is important as well! This will be for ages 13 and up. Lets see wolverine stab someone, or Sabertooth maul someone. Again, anime does this well. Shonen anime are for younger audiences but they show gore and brutal scenes when the story calls for it, without going all Mortal Kombat.

Lastly I want all characters to be respected. No pointless jobbing or anything silly.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    The recent news that X-Men: TAS, X-Men Evolution, and Wolverine and the X-Men are on Disney+ only reaffirmed why I’m glad they’re back in Marvel’s hands. It also made me want a brand new animated series, as I think we’re due for a new one after all these years.

For me, I’d hope Jeph Loeb is kept the hell away from it. He makes the kind of shows only a five-year-old would appreciate and openly admits he thinks cartoons are dumb. That’s not who should be making an X-Men animated series.

Do you actually have a quote for this? Because I would love to see it!

Yeah, Loeb seems to dumb everything down. He should stay the Hell away from any future X-men cartoons. Personally, I'd like to see an hour long show aimed at an adult audience. (And, NO, I'm not talking x-rated.) I'd also like something less Wolverine-centric. Wolverine can still be there but just another member of an ensemble cast. I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation of Hickman's work on X-men.

Hickman's work would make a nice movie. Show lives 1-9 in 10-20 minutes. Life 10 will be the rest of the movie.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Yeah, Jeph Loeb actually just needs to like...idk work on a marvel coloring book for preschoolers because he's simply awful.

You can tell that being the head of the TV department has kinda inflated his ego. I've heard enough actors on the TV side tell the exact same story of the phone call he makes to them when they get cast and it sounds more self-important every time.

Basically Justice League Unlimited/Young Justice version. BUT WITH ALL THE X-MEN. So everyone one gets a chance to shine.

I wouldn't want too large or too rotating a cast. When Justice League turned into Justice League Unlimited, it lost my interest. Young Justice's timeskips weren't my favorite thing either.

I get that. But I don't want then to focus on the same 8 X-Men like they always do. Wolverine and the X-Men was good at show casing others though.

But thats because they had the show runner Greg Weisman? I'd love for him to take over the X-Men animated stuff.