Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    This.

Wonder characters need to remain and be used in the Wonder World.

I Ching can be renamed and reimagined into a better character than how he was stereotypically portrayed during the Mod era. Having him be a mentor-type character just potentially makes Wonder Woman more interesting and could make for some interesting interactions between him and Hippolyta, should they ever meet.
    Honestly, Scott, I just don't see how keeping Ching around, as a mysticism expert, can hurt anhthing. The WW comic is still steeped in so much magic. I suppose a link to Deilan couldn't hurt either.I

Should Sparta, the Wonder Dog 🐕 have a 'Screaming Chicken' helmet? I certainly thinks she needs her own Magic Lasso. I imagine her wearing it, on a golden collar, studded with little ruby STARS!! Diana should have had a dog, a long time ago.

SUPPORT SPARTA, THE WONDER DOG!!!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Don't like seeing WW characters showing up in other comics, particularly the Batty ones, where they're used in clever ways, ..while WW limps along with no regular cast and virtually no rogues gallery. How does a comic go as long, without a core of interesting regulars, and give away or lose [?], as many characters as WW has? What kind of editing is that? I don't understand it.
    I think you're throwing out the baby with the bath water here. It doesn't hurt Wonder Woman villains and cast to show up in other titles, as long as they get to show up in Wonder Woman stories as well.

(I make an exception for Egg Fu. Harley Quinn can keep him.)

I Ching can be renamed and reimagined into a better character than how he was stereotypically portrayed during the Mod era. Having him be a mentor-type character just potentially makes Wonder Woman more interesting and could make for some interesting interactions between him and Hippolyta, should they ever meet.
    If I Ching is both renamed and reimagined, what's left?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think you're throwing out the baby with the bath water here. It doesn't hurt Wonder Woman villains and cast to show up in other titles, as long as they get to show up in Wonder Woman stories as well.

(I make an exception for Egg Fu. Harley Quinn can keep him.)

I love seeing WW characters in other comics. I just want them wowing us in Wonder Woman, first.

Maybe, assembling a WW family isn't much point, without an iconic city. The Bat and Super families are pretty much rooted in iconic cities, that are associated with two superheroes. We all know them...household names. Without an iconic city, like Gateway, in Man's World, there probably isn't much point.

And yes...Paradise island is iconic; but, what would be the point? If everything revolves around a few perfect, invincible heroes on that island, what's the point of Diana leaving it, in the first place? She may as well STAY there. What would be the point in having a Wonder Woman, at all? The Wonder Family has to be rooted in a human city, I think.

All for a large, diverse Wonder Family appearing in other comics, so long as they point fans back to WW and turn on new readers.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-03-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I had an interesting thought recently... what if Devastation went to Gotham City? What if anything could Batman do besides calling the League to help?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I had an interesting thought recently... what if Devastation went to Gotham City? What if anything could Batman do besides calling the League to help?
    I can see Devastation masquerading as Baby Doll for a couple of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    A more respectful, less stereotypical, and, hopefully, more viable character.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 02-04-2020 at 10:01 PM.

One of the interesting things with Deva is that her behavior is the only thing that makes her stick out in a crowd when she's not wearing her "I'm a supervillain" outfit.
    4254487-dev3.jpg
    Sure, if you've seen her before you might recognize her, but that's because you know her and not because she looks weird.

Extraordinary Member

Characters I'd be more than happy to never see again are the Kapatelli's and Mindi Mayer. Dull. As. Dirt.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Core Wonder Woman cast/family should be:

Hippolyta
    Steve Trevor (base on Chris Pine version)
    Etta Candy (OG Holiday girl version)
    Donna Troy/Wonder Girl (as close to pre-Crisis as possible)
    Ferdinand
    Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis
    Myndi Mayer
    Either Phil Darnell or Matthew Michaelis. Basically someone for Steve to work for.

The Amazons as a whole are vitally important to Diana, but don't feature as regularly since they are not in the mortal world. When they do, the biggest ones should be:
    Philippus
    Artemis
    Antiope
    Melanippe
    Mala
    Nubia
    Io
    Althea
    Areto
    Kasia

I don't know if any of them need their own comic. I'd like Diana to get Sensation Comics back as an ongoing, but ideally the books should be able to competently utilize all these characters in support roles. But they could still guest star in other books or be part of teams (like Donna with the Titans), as long as they are still regularly featured in WW.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    One of the interesting things with Deva is that her behavior is the only thing that makes her stick out in a crowd when she's not wearing her "I'm a supervillain" outfit.
    4254487-dev3.jpg
    Sure, if you've seen her before you might recognize her, but that's because you know her and not because she looks weird.
    I never really enjoyed the child versus woman take on the character and how that got transferred her to Cassie as a villain.

Donna and Cassie deserve their own villains and not the just the repositioning of Wonder foes as their main villains. I mean, it's cute for a moment, like how Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl go up against Batvillains, but they all deserve their own foes too.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Characters I'd be more than happy to never see again are the Kapatelli's and Mindi Mayer. Dull. As. Dirt.
    I'm the opposite about Myndi Mayer - I find her interesting and a great foil and supporting character to Diana

I never really enjoyed the child versus woman take on the character and how that got transferred her to Cassie as a villain.

Donna and Cassie deserve their own villains and not the just the repositioning of Wonder foes as their main villains. I mean, it's cute for a moment, like how Robin, Nightwing, and Batgirl go up against Batvillains, but they all deserve their own foes too.
    I guess what made Deva the most interesting as a villain is also a thing that really doesn't translate to other characters. WW sees this adorable teenage girl and instinctively wants to hug her and protect her from the bad people. But what WW has to do is protect herself from Deva. Oh and Deva is powerful enough that it's a genuine challenge to stop her. What WW wants most is to HELP Deva, but she just can't. It messes with WW's mind in ways most villains just can't.

Cassie? Cassie doesn't care about that. Cassie would tend to see her more as an annoyance. Which is reflected in the time Cassie fought her where Cassie just clobbers Deva without a moment's hesitation.

In the end the character is little used because she has little REASON to show up in other stories. She was, in-universe, created to antagonize WW, and since she's not a hero her personal journey of self-discovery kinda stopped after she gave up on trying to kill WW. I'd like to see what she's done with her self afterwards. It's not gonna happen in a WW book unless Deva decides to become an Amazon, so it might as well happen in Teen Titans or Young Justice. It'd be interesting seeing her as a sort of anti-hero character struggling to understand why the team CHOOSES to do what they do.

BD is such a creepy villain. For some reason, it seems she and Psycho would have a lot to say to each other, too.

I liked little girl Deva, she was creepier. To bystanders it made Diana look bad fighting her. It gave shades of the first Silver Swan story where casual observes weren't aware Wonder Woman was fighting someone evil, so she appeared to be a bully. That's bad for public relations.

What I meant by creepier is that evil children are always scary. Anyone that's seen "The God Son", "The Omen", "Orphan", "The Bad Seed", "Children of the Corn", "Village of the Damned" or Claudia in "Interview with the Vampire" knows what I'm talking about.

They lost the appeal of the core concept when they aged Devastation up, when she appears next in Orlando's Four Horsewomen arc she'll be a child again or at most a tween.