Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Donna Troy has not been given a story that distinguishes her from her time, as Wonder Girl. Nightwing has had that and a series. By comparison, the development of Nightwing and Tim Drake spurred the growth of the Batman Family, the way nothing in the WW comic has for its recurring cast. I think Donna and the other side-order Wonders need that, some kind of breakout stories, before a WW fam materializes...

And I think Donna's got to be the first. She also needs an iconic codename.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-17-2019 at 12:28 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The Grace Choi on Black Lightning isn't an Amazon she's a shapeshifter with little connection to her comic counterpart other than her name and dating Thunder. For the comics version the fact she's an Amazon is the relevant part and it did do her a favor because she got appearances in Amazons Attack and a one shot with Wonder Woman out of it plus it increased her fanbase.

Attachment 88022
    Appearing in Amazons Attack or Countdown is not doing a character a favor.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-17-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Appearing in Amazons Attack or Countdown is not doing a character a favor.
    Yes it did, Wonder Woman readers who didn't read Outsiders found out she was an Amazon and suddenly had a reason to care about her.

Yes it did, Wonder Woman readers who didn't read Outsiders found out she was an Amazon and suddenly had a reason to care about her.
    Wonder Woman fans (comic fans in general) hated these stories and don't care much for anything that was revealed in them. There's a reason you don't see Grace listed as a WW character very often, her connection to the franchise is loose at best, she never appeared in the Wonder Woman comics as a supporting character and ultimately it amounted to nothing since the BL show means she'll be associated with his world not Diana's.

Wonder Woman fans (comic fans in general) hated these stories and don't care much for anything that was revealed in them. There's a reason you don't see Grace listed as a WW character very often, her connection to the franchise is loose at best, she never appeared in the Wonder Woman comics as a supporting character and ultimately it amounted to nothing since the BL show means she'll be associated with his world not Diana's.
    Outsiders_Five_of_a_Kind_5.jpg

Not necessarily. Where's the Black Lightning and Grace one shot?
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 10-17-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Outsiders_Five_of_a_Kind_5.jpg

Not necessarily. Where's the Black Lightning and Grace one shot?
    She's in a Black Lightning show. That's going to reach far more people than a comic that tied in to one of DC's most infamously reviled event comics.

She's in a Black Lightning show. That's going to reach far more people than a comic that tied in to one of DC's most infamously reviled event comics.
    Countdown was an infamously reviled event comic? I don't think so, but your mileage may vary.

The Grace Choi on Black Lightning isn't an Amazon she's a shapeshifter with little connection to her comic counterpart other than her name and dating Thunder. For the comics version the fact she's an Amazon is the relevant part and it did do her a favor because she got appearances in Amazons Attack and a one shot with Wonder Woman out of it plus it increased her fanbase.
    I have never heard of this character before. How is it I have read, like, a thousand Wonder Woman comics, and have never heard about this character?

This isn't the only character too that has appeared outside a mainline comic that is somehow connected to Wonder Woman that baffles me. There was a character called Furie or Fury or something that appeared during Jimenez's run and...I just don't know who this character is or where she came from. Also Harbinger confused me too, because she appears in Batman/Superman (both the animated movie and comic), but not in a Wonder Woman title. Also, Donna Troy confuses me.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I have never heard of this character before. How is it I have read, like, a thousand Wonder Woman comics, and have never heard about this character?

This isn't the only character too that has appeared outside a mainline comic that is somehow connected to Wonder Woman that baffles me. There was a character called Furie or Fury or something that appeared during Jimenez's run and...I just don't know who this character is or where she came from. Also Harbinger confused me too, because she appears in Batman/Superman (both the animated movie and comic), but not in a Wonder Woman title. Also, Donna Troy confuses me.
    Grace Choi was invented for Outsiders, her origin was unknown for several issues until it was later revealed she was a Bana-Mighdall Amazon

Fury was originally the Earth 2 daughter of the Golden Age Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor, her name was Lyta Trevor, she became a founding member of Infinity Inc. She married Hector Hall/Silver Scarab the son of Hawkman and they had a son named Daniel. Their eventually ending played out in Sandman.

Post-Crisis the second Fury was Helena Kosmatos the daughter of the Golden Age Fury but raised by Joan Dale/Miss America but saw Hippolyta as her mentor because she trained her and visited yearly due to time travel when she was the Golden Age Wonder Woman. She had the power of one of the Erinyes of myth Tisiphone and eventually came to Themyscira in Phil Jimenez's run. While there and suffering delusions she thought Hippolyta was her real mother. Hippolyta played along with her, at the end of Paradise Lost this Fury ripped the heart out of Magala's chest who was the deformed sorceress Amazon responsible for instigating the civil war between the Themysciran and Bana-Mighdall Amazons.

New 52 Fury was the daughter of Earth 2's Wonder Woman and Steppenwolf of Apokolips and her name was eventually revealed to be Donna.

Harbinger was a major character during Crisis on Infinite Earths and she worked for the Monitor. Years later it was discovered she had a link to Donna Troy and Dark Angel and she settled on Themyscira during Phil Jimenez's run as the New Themyscira's records keeper. This was back when the island floated and had students and ambassadors from Man's World and alien nations.

Donna Troy is even more confusing than everything I just mentioned.

Donna not having a codename and all of these issues with her present origin gives her an unfinished feel to some of us.

I think Donna needs a grown-up codename (Roar), a career (small town doctor), her own town (Elexinor) and sideorder characters (Mister Genie). That should be followed by cleaning up Cassie's backstory and giving her a new, ongoing situation. Then, I'd like to see the comic adding other characters - Artemis, Fury, Hercules, Nubia, Prince Jason, Mister Genie, etc - and building from there.

Since Cassie (pre-52) grew up in Friscoesque Gateway, perhaps her stories could unfold in an artsy, multicultural, hipster neighborhood, chock full of colorful urban characters, which include her half-bro Hercules and his reincarnated companion, Hylas. Diana occasionally dropping by, on her way to see Donna in Twin Pea...koff, koff, Elexinor...

Or fresh from visiting Prince Jason, in a fictional Canadian metropolis, with his new companions: Zola, I Ching and the Global Guardians!I

Just establishing these three, you get colorful stages, upon which to re-introduce characters, like ARTEMIS and Mister Genie ..and to grow the Wonder Family!

Still think it's gotta start with Donna. Furthermore, it's gotta start with some editors caring, one way or another.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-19-2019 at 01:48 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Donna not having a codename and all of these issues with her present origin gives her an unfinished feel to some of us.

I think Donna needs a grown-up codename (Roar), a career (small town doctor), her own town (Elexinor) and sideorder characters (Mister Genie). That should be followed by cleaning up Cassie's backstory and giving her a new, ongoing situation. Then, I'd like to see the comic adding other characters - Artemis, Fury, Hercules, Nubia, Prince Jason, Mister Genie, etc - and building from there.

Since Cassie (pre-52) grew up in Friscoesque Gateway, perhaps her stories could unfold in an artsy, multicultural, hipster neighborhood, chock full of colorful urban characters, which include her half-bro Hercules and his reincarnated companion, Hylas. Diana occasionally dropping by, on her way to see Donna in Twin Pea...koff, koff, Elexinor...

Or fresh from visiting Prince Jason, in a fictional Canadian metropolis, with his new companions: Zola, I Ching and the Global Guardians!I

Just establishing these three, you get colorful stages, upon which to re-introduce characters, like ARTEMIS and Mister Genie ..and to grow the Wonder Family!

Still think it's gotta start with Donna. Furthermore, it's gotta start with some editors caring, one way or another.
    Honestly I think Donna's backstory is a mess on purpose. Somewhere along the line DC seemingly decided it added to her character. That would explain why every attempt at an explanation is contradicted soon afterward.

Honestly I think Donna's backstory is a mess on purpose. Somewhere along the line DC seemingly decided it added to her character. That would explain why every attempt at an explanation is contradicted soon afterward.
    At one point they made a big deal out of her being a multiversal anomaly that shouldn't exist but does. In the past they've used the explanation that if you're from a timeline/universe that doesn't exist anymore, sometimes the universe... tries to make you fit.

How about reuniting Hercules with his companion, Hylas, in Gateway, as big brothers for Cassie? I imagine Cassie as the protectress of a Friscoesque, hipster neighborhood, filled with colorfully mod characters.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-23-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    How about reuniting Hercules with his companion, Hylas, in Gateway, as big brothers for Cassie? I imagine Cassie as the protectress of a Friscoesque, hipster neighborhood, filled with colorfully mod characters.
    Well having Cassie interact with Hercules as an older brother could be interesting. She probably wouldn't LIKE him, but yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well having Cassie interact with Hercules as an older brother could be interesting. She probably wouldn't LIKE him, but yeah....
    But that's already been done in Cassie's mini-series, and you're right, she didn't like him.