Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmm this position feels like it needs explanation.
    I already did. You can see my comment above.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Have you seen "Breakfast at Tiffany's"? In it Mickey Rooney plays a racist Asian stereotype that he later apologized for but nevertheless I was deeply offended by. From what I've read of the Mod era I-Ching doesn't seem any more racist than Mr. Miyagi. Beyond his name which almost sounds like a slur what am I missing? Not trying to be funny, facetious or dismissive I'm only seeking enlightenment.
    Thank you for clearing that up.

SPARTA, the WONDER DOG!!!

Superman's is white. Batman's is brown and black. What color is Diana's, how big is it, and what's her name?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-11-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I already did. You can see my comment above.
    that's not a GOOD explanation. Not when you consider how many people IRL are named "Ching".

that's not a GOOD explanation. Not when you consider how many people IRL are named "Ching".
    It also doesn't explain why the Bat comics can make him a cool, recurring character, and WW...can't?

Don't like seeing WW characters showing up in other comics, particularly the Batty ones, where they're used in clever ways, ..while WW limps along with no regular cast and virtually no rogues gallery. How does a comic go as long, without a core of interesting regulars, and give away or lose [?], as many characters as WW has? What kind of editing is that? I don't understand it.

Hating I Ching doesn't make someone a Ching-hater. I accept that.

However, those of us, who don't feel he and other non-myth supporting characters fit the comic, almost never offer alternatives to put in their places. Where are WW's cool characters? Where is the cast?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-11-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

You know anyone called "I-Ching" in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    It also doesn't explain why the Bat comics can make him a cool, recurring character, and WW...can't?

Don't like seeing WW characters showing up in other comics, particularly the Batty ones, where they're used in clever ways, ..while WW limps along with no regular cast and virtually no rogues gallery. How does a comic go as long, without a core of interesting regulars, and give away or lose [?], as many characters as WW has? What kind of editing is that? I don't understand it.

However, those of us, who don't feel he and other non-myth supporting characters fit the comic, almost never offer alternatives to put in their places. Where are WW's cool characters? Where is the cast?
    I-Ching is not a cool character. Of all the characters to push for, he is easily one of the poorest choices. The Bat books using him doesn't surprise me. They've never had the best use of Asian characters outside of Cassandra Cain (and even that got pissed away). Their use of I-Ching was neither clever nor progressive. He was exactly the same character he was in the 70s. If you want WW's world to be more expansive and diverse there are better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I-Ching is not a cool character. Of all the characters to push for, he is easily one of the poorest choices. The Bat books using him doesn't surprise me. They've never had the best use of Asian characters outside of Cassandra Cain (and even that got pissed away). Their use of I-Ching was neither clever nor progressive. He was exactly the same character he was in the 70s. If you want WW's world to be more expansive and diverse there are better options.
    You dont like Ching...your opinion. Some of us find him cool.

Fine. Start listing those options, ..because right now, I see Bat editors borrowing under-developed supporting characters from the WW comic, planting them in other comics, where some inventive writer makes them interesting ..and leaving nothing in their places, in the pages of WW.

Condemning every recurring character in the comic isnt offering a solution. At some point, writers must invent new characters or develop the existing ones.

Lets see those options, please. Hope they arent all wearing togas...

You dont like Ching...your opinion. Some of us find him cool.

Fine. Start listing those options, ..because right now, I see Bat editors borrowing under-developed supporting characters from the WW comic, planting them in other comics, where some inventive writer makes them interesting ..and leaving nothing in their places, in the pages of WW.

Condemning every recurring character in the comic isnt offering a solution. At some point, writers must invent new characters or develop the existing ones.

Lets see those options, please. Hope they arent all wearing togas...
    I've already listed those options in this very thread.

What about Hunter and Fury having their own comic? I mean there was suppose to be a comic on Wonder Woman's daughter but we don't know what happened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What about Hunter and Fury having their own comic? I mean there was suppose to be a comic on Wonder Woman's daughter but we don't know what happened to it.
    They would need to be (re-)established first, meaning showing up in Diana's comic for an arc or two before even thinking about spreading them to their own.

I like the Wonder-Woman of China Peng Deilan. I'd like to see her become part of the Wonder-Woman Family.

Could have a wonder woman for all the pantheons.

Extraordinary Member

Steve Trevor
    Etta Candy
    Jumpa
    Donna Troy
    Cassie Sandsmark
    Helena Sandsmark
    I-Ching
    Aleka
    Dessa
    Zola
    Zeke
    Azzarello's version of the gods
    Orion
    Ferdinand
    Hippolyta
    Artemis
    Nubia
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Now that it seems Ocean City is in the rearview, do you see Donna in Gateway or Washington, D.C.?
    I think I'd put Donna in New York City.

(Also, I LOVE your metal radio distress call from a few pages back.)

This.

Wonder characters need to remain and be used in the Wonder World.

I Ching can be renamed and reimagined into a better character than how he was stereotypically portrayed during the Mod era. Having him be a mentor-type character just potentially makes Wonder Woman more interesting and could make for some interesting interactions between him and Hippolyta, should they ever meet.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    This.

Wonder characters need to remain and be used in the Wonder World.

I Ching can be renamed and reimagined into a better character than how he was stereotypically portrayed during the Mod era. Having him be a mentor-type character just potentially makes Wonder Woman more interesting and could make for some interesting interactions between him and Hippolyta, should they ever meet.
    Clearly not much incentive to do that. Cass is only in a team book, Donna has been BWL'd (sadly), and Diana is still doing her own thing. Artemis, though not as big a member of the family, did return from, wherever it was she and Bizarro were sent in RHATO. And to be fair, Artemis wasn't exactly being used otherwise.

Plus, Lobdell made her impervious to "Harley Quinn-itis", where the psycho clown girl somehow gets the drop on people she never should be able to. But the fiery red-head put her in her place. A couple of times.

Yeah, I'm over clown girl.