Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who was or is the most talented Beatle, John or Paul?

Who do you think is the most talented of the two?

Paul McCartney Or John Lennon?

For me Paul. His songs are so awesome and iconic. John is great too, but Paul touches my soul more lol.

I agree it was Paul. Though John was more the leader of the group. But Paul's songs are more iconic and his output after the Beatles when John was alive was better than John's. Imagine not withstanding.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

They were both great, and when they came together it was awesome, but definitely Paul. Paul was more musically talented and more disciplined. Lennon was, maybe, better with lyrics. I don't even think we would have gotten any of the truly masterful post-Epstein Beatles collection were it not for Paul. John and the others wanted to blow it all up, but Paul kept them together. I also don't buy that John was the mosre artsy of the two. Paul's additions to "A Day In The Life" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" are what made the songs really awesome.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Retired

It's not really fair to compare them, since John died at only forty years of age. We don't know what he would have done.

Just as John could create some amazing music, Paul could write stunning lyrics. Nevertheless, knowing how much music McCartney has created, one has to recognize his genius. Not only does he write amazing music, he plays it very well. On top of his bass (a McCartney bass line is always compelling), he can play guitar, piano, drums, ukulele, mandolin, hammond organ, synth, water glasses, the comb, some trumpet. He's always experimenting in the studio with different sounds and production techniques.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

They were and are both amazing.

Paul is underrated as an experimenter, because of all the straight up pop tunes he wrote for the Fabs and Wings, but because he lived in London in the '60s he was at the center of advances being made in art at the time.

Astonishing Member

Stu Sutcliffe

Retired

Apparently Stu was supposed to be the bassist for the early Beatles, but he would stand with his back to the audience, so they couldn't see if he was really playing. I think the Beatles got a lot of their tips on how to be cool from Stu. He might not have been much of a musician, but he was ahead of the times in understanding how to be a rock star. In many of the Beatlies photos when they became famous, Paul would stand with his back to the camera--or do other things to make himself stand out--and he probably got that from Stu.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

It's only in the last couple of months that I've started to really delve into The Beatles musical library. I'd never really been bothered enough to take the plunge before that and was always more of a Rolling Stones fan. I'm happy to say that I'm mightily impressed. The Beatles catalogue is jam packed with instant classics and fabulous deeper cuts.

I'd have to say Paul overall to answer the OP's question. They were all amazing in their respective ways though. I love what Ringo brought to the group as well and had to mention him too.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Who do you think is the most talented of the two?

Paul McCartney Or John Lennon?

For me Paul. His songs are so awesome and iconic. John is great too, but Paul touches my soul more lol.
    And what about George Harrison ?

George was the dark horse!

But he was younger, and less developed as a songwriter, and Lennon/McCartney didn't really nurture his songwriting the way they perhaps should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    George was the dark horse!

But he was younger, and less developed as a songwriter, and Lennon/McCartney didn't really nurture his songwriting the way they perhaps should have.
    But he was by far the most talented musician.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Paul was definitely the better parental figure.

John, by a country mile.

Paul seemed to pretty much stop writing good songs (with the exception of Live and Let Die) the moment the Beatles split up.

John was a bit patchier after the split, but Imagine, #9 Dream, Working Class Hero, Happy Xmas (War is Over), Mind Games, Woman, Starting Over, Nobody Told Me, Instant Karma etc - He still had it.

Sorry to disagree, but Paul is still writing good songs. And Band on the Run alone is a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sorry to disagree, but Paul is still writing good songs. And Band on the Run alone is a great album.
    When I was at Uni Wings had just been formed, and was touring country going free unannounced concerts. They turned up at our student union one day, and played to a couple of hundred students.

Looking back the completely relaxed atmosphere was strange given the Beatlemania of just a few years earlier.

Decades later a mate who was an accountant had a few session musicians on his books.A couple of them occasionally worked for Paul M.

They more or less all said similar things about the great man...he was completely focused on “business” from start of a session to the end, everything was ready for start of session, and he knew exactly what he wanted them to do, relaxed and courteous.

The one thing they moaned about was that come meal times, he always left them alone and went to eat with his family. But then as my mate said “Perhaps they ought to bear in mind, that he pays four times as much as any one else”.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-30-2019 at 06:42 AM.