Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default It’s time to reboot Atlantis as a democracy

Reasons

- there’s enough royal families in the mcu already
    - it helps differentiate him from Aquaman
    - it adds more tension to the story because he constantly has to prove himself rather than being born to rule. Think the west wing but underwater

I reckon it would really help make namor an even bigger part of the mcu and characters go through soft or hard reboots all the time. It could definitely have fascinating ramifications for the mcu

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Reasons

- there’s enough royal families in the mcu already
    - it helps differentiate him from Aquaman
    - it adds more tension to the story because he constantly has to prove himself rather than being born to rule. Think the west wing but underwater

I reckon it would really help make namor an even bigger part of the mcu and characters go through soft or hard reboots all the time. It could definitely have fascinating ramifications for the mcu
    It would take too much away from Namor if they did that. That's the good thing about the MU, all the royal families that they have and all are distinct from each other.

Nah, It's great how it is right now.
    We need better comics

How about it's time to finally stabilize Atlantis as a single, definable place. After 80 years Atlantis is still so utterly vague it can drive you nuts. Is it just a city? A State? An Empire? How many times has it been destroyed? How many different places have actually been called Atlantis? Where exactly is it? How big is it? How many Atlanteans are there? Do they have colonies? Are there OTHER cities? Other nations? What does the city actually look like? Every time it's in a book it seems to be designed at the artist's whim, most likely because they too have no idea what Marvel's Atlantis is supposed look like. Sometimes it's a domed city, sometimes not, sometimes it's crazy looking with pink and blue glowing spires, sometimes it has a more classical influenced look. Even if it is a Monarchy, how is it run? What institutions does it have, how does it's military work? Sometimes Atlantis is described as being highly advanced, among the most advanced technology on earth. Other times people have spears and live in huts and ride sea creatures.

I have lots of head-canon for this issue, but it amounts to little since I don't work at Marvel. Democracy would not help Namor and Atlantis a be bigger influence at Marvel, legitimate world building would. Namor has next to none and it's frustrating as hell.

I think he should stay a royal. What I think they should do is expand Atlantis and underwater societies. Define it's language and culture, show what the lives of Atlantean people are like. There is a lot of interesting things you can do with Atlantis. It's woefully underdeveloped.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

It's a no from me.

Namor's character is largely tied to his royal station and stripping that away from him is dumb. Especially for a country as vaguely defined as Atlantis.

Extraordinary Member

I could see constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary legislature...but not a democracy.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Atlantis works as a monarchy. I don't really get the current state of Attilan, but it would've been the best monarchy to convert when they got the influx of newbies, many of whom would be from democracies and none of whom would have any loyalty to the royals.

if it's done like what was done with Wakanda, no thanks.

Mighty Member

No, if you make Atlantis a democracy, you erase what make Namor a cool character.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Namor would like to have words with you.

BANNED

Namor and Atlantis are fine as is.

Eh, it would basically turn Namor into Gladiator. Which isn't a big enough change to be worth doing in practice.

Coates made T'Challa a cerimonial king, Aaron made a Senate for the Ten Realms, Soule first dethroned Black Boot and then turned the inhumans into a democracy. Atlantis as a monarchy actually is making it unique. Plus, Namor wouldn't be as nice as the other former royals and would likelly crush any opposition.

Namor being a royal informs his character tremendously.