Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
How about it's time to finally stabilize Atlantis as a single, definable place. After 80 years Atlantis is still so utterly vague it can drive you nuts. Is it just a city? A State? An Empire? How many times has it been destroyed? How many different places have actually been called Atlantis? Where exactly is it? How big is it? How many Atlanteans are there? Do they have colonies? Are there OTHER cities? Other nations? What does the city actually look like? Every time it's in a book it seems to be designed at the artist's whim, most likely because they too have no idea what Marvel's Atlantis is supposed look like. Sometimes it's a domed city, sometimes not, sometimes it's crazy looking with pink and blue glowing spires, sometimes it has a more classical influenced look. Even if it is a Monarchy, how is it run? What institutions does it have, how does it's military work? Sometimes Atlantis is described as being highly advanced, among the most advanced technology on earth. Other times people have spears and live in huts and ride sea creatures.

I have lots of head-canon for this issue, but it amounts to little since I don't work at Marvel. Democracy would not help Namor and Atlantis a be bigger influence at Marvel, legitimate world building would. Namor has next to none and it's frustrating as hell.
This is the HUGE advantage DC's Atlantis has over Marvel's. At least by reading the Geoff Johns New 52 run of Aquaman only pretty much all of these questions are answered or don't need to be asked. It's a shame Marvel has barely attempted to flesh out their Atlantis in this way.

I wish there was a Marvel wide initiative to restore all of their monarchies back to normal and start making interesting stories about their uniqueness as monarchies, instead of destroying and deconstructing them every chance they get. It has gotten extremely boring.

In short, no. Keep Atlantis as a monarchy.