Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Should Wonder Woman have gotten a Knightfall/Death of Superman-Type Story?

Just something I was thinking about. Knightfall and Death of Superman are two of DC’s most iconic stories for two of DC’s most iconic characters. So, I’m wondering: why didn’t Diana receive a storyline that was the equivalent of those two? I mean, the closest thing I can think of is when Artemis took the Wonder Woman mantle away from Diana during Messner-Loebs’s run (a very underrated run, IMO), but it didn’t really get the same attention or status.

Now, we could always say that those stories were gimmicky cash-grabs. And that’s true; they certainly were to an extent. However, I don’t think there’s any denying that they did expand the mythology for their respective heroes by introducing then-new villains in Doomsday, Cyborg Superman, and Bane and supporting characters like Azrael (also kind of a villain), Steel, and Conner Kent Superboy. It could also be argued that, in their own way, they helped Batman and Superman maintain or find new relevance into and throughout the 90s. Its even something that Marvel tried to replicate for Spider-Man in the Clone Saga. Though, I don't know if that last one was a successful attempt.

So, I guess the question is: would Wonder Woman's mythology have benefitted from a similar type of story? Would that type of story benefit Wonder Woman comics now or has the time long passed?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-28-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Yea she did die and become the Goddess of Truth. She can't benefit from any story until they make a stable story. Every storyline is just them rebuilding her again and again. Never really doing anything to better her. She needs another storyline. Batman and Superman have already had too many stories like that

IMO, yes, she badly needs such a story. That said, she must be built up first. I doubt enough people would currently care.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Before we can get a death of Wonder Woman story. We need other great stories. It would make a better elsewhere story given how Dc has treated her. Why should Diana need the death of Wonder Woman? We need something more of all star Superman. The issue is the fact Death of Superman is found more famous storyline. No matter how much you want that storyline else they can figure out a way to make it right. We can’t have a death of Wonder Woman storyline without one how and why should she dead

The attempt was made before with War of the Gods, Amazons Attack, Rise of the Olympian and arguably The Odyssey, all of them failed. Writers should stop trying so hard and simply tell good stories that become iconic based on their own merit rather than trying to copy what worked for another hero. Really all they have to do is take their time and plan well, have a theme with global implications, a problem only Wonder Woman can solve and expand into crossovers as the story becomes larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The attempt was made before with War of the Gods, Amazons Attack, Rise of the Olympian and arguably The Odyssey, all of them failed. Writers should stop trying so hard and simply tell good stories that become iconic based on their own merit rather than trying to copy what worked for another hero. Really all they have to do is take their time and plan well, have a theme with global implications, a problem only Wonder Woman can solve and expand into crossovers as the story becomes larger.
    With Amazons Attack that was more of editorial issues than anything. Agreed. We shouldn't copy other stories. If Diana dies we shouldn't rip off Death of Superman. Diana needs other interesting stories, not a storyline that been done another.

The story where Artemis replaced Diana as Wonder Woman was very much her own version of Knightfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The story where Artemis replaced Diana as Wonder Woman was very much her own version of Knightfall.
    Wonder Woman did it first with Orana in the Bronze Age, Artemis was more a reimagining of that story than a rip-off of Knightfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yep, was gonna post this myself. Only difference is it took place a few years later and didn't sync up with that early 90's wave of change. This happened around the time of another change-up type of initiative post-Zero Hour that's not remembered as much, along with the likes of "The Death of Clark Kent" and such.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yes and no. Yes, Wonder woman should get a much hyped over the top storyline. But, unlike with the stories mentioned for Superman and Batman, Diana needs to win. She would stand triumphant at the end of the storyline. The storyline I might actually "copy" is from the 90's, I think, Thor did a future type storyline where we went years into the future with Thor and he had become a God of Asgard, people were taking Thursday off, and he needed to be stopped. That might actually be the storyline which if written well, would get people talking.

Edit. Adding. Or it could be a rewrite of Kingdom Come but with a Wonder Woman focus.
    Last edited by LordMikel; 09-29-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

Not only the clone saga but the whole identity crisis storyline is based upon the reign of Supermen but instead of each of the four being different persons they were actually guises created by Peter to hoodwink Osborn when he couldn't operate as Spider Man due to his scheme. As for the Wonder Woman equivalent of Kinghtfall and DOS then the Underworld Unleashed storyline could have been that for her. She could have been the pure Soul Neron needed for his final ascension instead of Shazam and he could have killed her then after she foils his plans instead of having killed her in her title in a arc which most likely many readers were not aware of at the time apart from those who were reading her book. I mean talk about a ignominious death though of course it does not come close to Metamorpho's funeral in Morrison's JLA.
    Last edited by Desmark; 09-29-2019 at 07:15 PM.

I mean, "yes" in that the writers and artists and editors and creators should be as focused on Wonder Woman over time as much as they have been on Batman and Superman to explore "all the things" and themes that she can be, but that's sadly not been the case.

These epic and defining stories happen from interest and focus on the characters with a good dose of zeitgeist and kismet blended in. If you're not doing the former justice, you'll never tap into the latter for defining, interesting stories and modes for the character.

As has been said, she had a whole arc under Byrne where she died, became a goddess, and Hippolyta took on the WW mantle. That was as big and epic as Knightfall and the Death of Superman, it just didn't get much attention.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    As has been said, she had a whole arc under Byrne where she died, became a goddess, and Hippolyta took on the WW mantle. That was as big and epic as Knightfall and the Death of Superman, it just didn't get much attention.
    And that's the issue... why didn't these storylines get as much attention? (I'm absolutely not arguing with your point.)

They were not original and highly derivative of Superman and Batman stories, instead of diving into something unique about Diana and Wonder Woman and her world.

Part of the issue is that DC needs to embrace Wonder Woman for the feminist and humanist and radically progressive character she is and create storylines that uniquely embrace that and not reflect the Dark Knight or Man of Steel... she's the Amazing Amazon and original Princess of Power and Peace for a reason. ::shrugs shoulders::

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I also recall reading that Byrne had envisioned having Goddess Diana fight against the Justice League and single-handedly defeat them all. But this did not happen because Morrison was not onboard with it.

If it did, I think the death and transfiguration of Wonder Woman would have gotten more attention.

This is from my fuzzy memory...so take it with a dash of salt.