Default What is it that draws you to comics?

I have always had kind of a rough life. An abusive father and moving around alot when I was a kid. Prison time as an adult, and now I take care of my disabled father. SO I have always looked for an escape from the real world. When I was a kid it was Archie comics, then as I got into my teens and adult years it turned into superhero comics. Though I have always loved the superhero tv shows and cartoons. Comics for me were a great way to escape my troubles. The over the top plots and villains. The colorful costumes. The way the heroes always seemed to do the right thing no matter what. They would help others no matter what. Seeing them act like heroes even if it was a story kind of gave me hope. Comics always took me to another place. A place without bullies and abusive parents. I would daydream about being a hero. Yes I was a teen who wished to be Batman or Spiderman. I always felt better after reading comics. Now as an adult I have a pretty good sized comic book collection, Superhero posters on my walls, action figures on display. I like to say I am making up for my childhood now as an adult. And my father and I have put the past behind us and are building a relationship and one of the things we bond over is comics. He is very open to my love of superheroes and is always telling me about superhero shows, or is buying me an action figure he saw on ebay.

So what is it that draws you to comics? The stories? The Art work? The way they make you feel when you read them?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I like the neverending serial. It really irritates me when a story ends.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Empty is thy hand!

The color and big action brought me in, but it's the deep continuity that kept me around. Knowing that the stories I read are connected to a rich history of other stories really gave those comics weight for me. It's pretty neat to see the Next Chapter unfold right now and still have all the previous chapters to look forward to. What I love about comics is what publishers seem to be afraid of these days, ironically.

Great artwork, horrific monsters, cheesecake & evil being brutalized

Astonishing Member

That I can escape and be in that comic world for a short period of time. Like a mini holiday.

And that I can take my time following the story, can decide how fast I want to follow and can rewind whenever I want...