Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Why Isn't Ares More Prominent?

You'd think that, with a literal god of war as one of Diana's major adversaries, DC would try to position him to be their Loki. So, I'm just wondering why he hasn't been utilized more. Like, why hasn't he had his own series or been the big bad in a major event?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-28-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    You'd think that, with a literal god of war as one of Diana's major adversaries, DC would try to position him to be their Loki. So, I'm just wondering why he hasn't been utilized more. Like, why hasn't he had his own series or been the big bad in an event?
    Segregation lol. He's relegated to Wonder Woman's world, therefore his plans never really have global gravitas that could possibly effect the entire DCU. Also he's an Olympian and an old god and they ALWAYS take a back seat to Darkseid and the New Gods. See Amazons Attack and Apokolips' desecration of Olympus as examples.

I do think he should be more prominent but how would you do it? I mean Darkseid is generally also more or less Superman

I think Ares, like the other Greek gods, is suffering from a lack of imagination from WW writers. Ares is this roided up dude in gladiator armor that was edgy in 1950s movies...he's so BO-ring!! Thats the problem.

We need a writer to reinvent Ares, freshen up his act, a bit. What if Ares assumed a nonhuman form; what would that be like? Is he a scorpion? A fish? A talking ram? Ares needs some bloody imagination. He needs help...

And a good story.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The Greek gods are often in human form. You don't need to change his or any of the Greek gods. He could be in charge of a militia army? Using new 52 he is trying to kill the Amazons to control them. Ares having to the ability to summon armies throughout time is cool. However, since he is locked up he still has his own army. Also what's wrong with him being in Greek armor? No one has issues with Amazons or the other gods. If you change too much it becomes too different. Of you change nothing than it's somewhat boring. Azz designs for many was ugly. Hades was ugly

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The Greek gods are often in human form. You don't need to change his or any of the Greek gods. He could be in charge of a militia army? Using new 52 he is trying to kill the Amazons to control them. Ares having to the ability to summon armies throughout time is cool. However, since he is locked up he still has his own army. Also what's wrong with him being in Greek armor? No one has issues with Amazons or the other gods. If you change too much it becomes too different. Of you change nothing than it's somewhat boring. Azz designs for many was ugly. Hades was ugly
    I just think people are bored with the cliched blustering big guy in antiquated Roman armor. Beside cosmic villains, like Darkseid, Ares looks dull and outdated. Eritrrs need to try somthing new in how attacks the mortal world and how he's presented to us.

He's a little stale, I think.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I don't think they should change his look. The Perez design, IMO, is iconic and kind of screams "cool supervillain":

The only thing I think that needs to be done is to give him a more prominent role in the DC Universe. DC doesn't really do many huge, sweeping crossover events unless the villains' names are Darkseid, Anti-Monitor, and/or Lex Luthor. Other villains have gotten big storylines, but not many, or they're one-and-done villains created for that storyline and then never seen again. Anyone remember Imperiex?

I want to see Ares beome, like, a Magneto or Doctor Doom-like figure in the DCU. Give us a story where his power and cunning are on full display. They should have taken the opportunity to do more with him when the Wonder Woman film came out.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-28-2019 at 07:28 PM.

When we get the news that Area is loose and headed for Ocean City, what should we be afraid he will do, beside looking like a Spartacus Vader? I have been reading this comic on and off for a long time, and I can't easily answer that question.

I think that is a HUGE part of his problem.

Ares, as Marston conceived him, used to preside over futuristic armed camps, rocket sleds and deadly energy weapons. He had the power to slip astral beings into the bodies of human beings. He was a cosmic threat as sure as Mongul, Darkseid or any other.

Now, he seems pigeon-holed...stuck in magic-oriented stories, and that's also part of his growth problem, because most of the DCU isn't magical. Editors asking comic writers to stop everything they're doing with Batman and Green Lantern and write a magic story, so they can use Ares...don't see that hapening. For that reason, alone...

I think Ares needs to be a cosmic supervillain, again. He needs to fit as easily into a sci-fi story, as a WW story.

I don't think the Wonder Woman movie did him any favors, either, as he was often picked out as the weakest aspect of the film.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think they should change his look. The Perez design, IMO, is iconic and kind of screams "cool supervillain":

The only thing I think that needs to be done is to give him a more prominent role in the DC Universe. DC doesn't really do many huge, sweeping crossover events unless the villains' names are Darkseid, Anti-Monitor, and/or Lex Luthor. Other villains have gotten big storylines, but not many, or they're one-and-done villains created for that storyline and then never seen again. Anyone remember Imperiex?

I want to see Ares beome, like, a Magneto or Doctor Doom-like figure in the DCU. Give us a story where his power and cunning are on full display. They should have taken the opportunity to do more with him when the Wonder Woman film came out.
    What issue is this art from?

Ares isn't more prominent for 2 reasons:

1. He goes as Wonder Woman goes. WW is rarely going as well as she should. The movie changed very little in this regard, while cementing the idea that Ares isn't a great villain anyway.

2. All DCU's divine pantheons (save the Abrahamic ones) bow before Jack Kirby's New Gods. Ares will never be allowed to equal (let alone surpass) Darkseid in sheer cosmic villainy.

Should he be a threat even with the new gods? Anyone have a interesting storyline ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    What issue is this art from?
    Legends of the DC Universe #4

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    2. All DCU's divine pantheons (save the Abrahamic ones) bow before Jack Kirby's New Gods. Ares will never be allowed to equal (let alone surpass) Darkseid in sheer cosmic villainy.
    Does Ares have to be more powerful than or as powerful as Darkseid, though? Darkseid is (and I think should be) one of the most powerful entities in the DC Universe. I mean, I think Magneto would probably lose in a fight against Galactus, but that doesn't mean that Magneto isn't one of the most important villains in the Marvel U.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-28-2019 at 10:23 PM.

BANNED

What if Ares had a weapon bonded solely to himself powered directly by the Source Wall?
    Last edited by Shreene; 09-28-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    What if Ares had a weapon bonded solely to himself powered directly by the Source Wall?
    That's pretty much admitting that he can't stand on his own without relying on the Fourth World.