Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Timeline of the New 52 reality's creation

This is for everyone:

DC has shown that Doctor Manhattan fiddled with the DCU to help create the New 52.

But when did he show up?

Before or after Flashpoint 5?
    Did he create Pandora and tell her to tell Barry that three timelines needed to be combined?

Did he show up during DC Universe: Rebirth and decided to start there?

Doomy Clock 10 gives us DC history from outside DC reality. Does that mean Doctor Manhattan is between our reality and DC reality?

Discuss...

Dr. Manhattan is just a red herring.

Something or someone else is responsible.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post

Doomsday Clock confirmed Dr. Manhattan was responsible for the New 52.

I wouldn't put much stock into that, since Doomsday Clock may not be canon anytime soon.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I wouldn't put much stock into that, since Doomsday Clock may not be canon anytime soon.
    Canon doesn't exists. Continuity doesn't exists. It all an illusion at DC

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boltmonster View Post
    This is for everyone:

DC has shown that Doctor Manhattan fiddled with the DCU to help create the New 52.

But when did he show up?

Before or after Flashpoint 5?
    Did he create Pandora and tell her to tell Barry that three timelines needed to be combined?

Did he show up during DC Universe: Rebirth and decided to start there?

Doomy Clock 10 gives us DC history from outside DC reality. Does that mean Doctor Manhattan is between our reality and DC reality?

Discuss...
    Watchmen gives a solid date of 1985, real world time. In Comic Book time, we can calculater that this was about 9.5 years ago, applying a 4:1 ratio to publication and accounting for 52. This means that Dr. Manhattan could've arrived at any time Post-Crisis. My honest guess is that he probably observed the timeline and met Carver Coleman Pre-Flashpoint. When Flashpoint happened, the universe was re-made, seperate from him containing ertigo and Wildstorm elements. Pandora was irrelevant to him. He used the timeline's vulnerabilities to kill Alan Scott in 1940, thus creating the New 52 reality. DC Universe: Rebirth was Manhattan's reality starting to fall apart. Doomsday Clock is the conclusion of the story.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Gero4568 View Post
    Watchmen gives a solid date of 1985, real world time. In Comic Book time, we can calculater that this was about 9.5 years ago, applying a 4:1 ratio to publication and accounting for 52. This means that Dr. Manhattan could've arrived at any time Post-Crisis. My honest guess is that he probably observed the timeline and met Carver Coleman Pre-Flashpoint. When Flashpoint happened, the universe was re-made, seperate from him containing ertigo and Wildstorm elements. Pandora was irrelevant to him. He used the timeline's vulnerabilities to kill Alan Scott in 1940, thus creating the New 52 reality. DC Universe: Rebirth was Manhattan's reality starting to fall apart. Doomsday Clock is the conclusion of the story.
    My guess would be Armageddon 2001, with Manhattan being the original Monarch then breaking the fourth wall to make the creators see him as Captain Atom until a fan guessed the identity and fandom began speculating on the connections between Atom and Manhattan. Things started to get hot when T.M. Maple wrote a letter to DC that would've revealed Monarch to really be Manhattan. Using a great deal of energy, Manhattan reached into the real world, diverting the letter and then influencing the writers to change the identity to Hawk at the last minute to throw off suspicions.
    Then he created Parallax and caused Zero Hour to happen to further divert readers and put his plans into motion.

Death in the Family, Knightfall, Killing Joke and Death of Superman would also all likely be results of his meddling.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My guess would be Armageddon 2001, with Manhattan being the original Monarch then breaking the fourth wall to make the creators see him as Captain Atom until a fan guessed the identity and fandom began speculating on the connections between Atom and Manhattan. Things started to get hot when T.M. Maple wrote a letter to DC that would've revealed Monarch to really be Manhattan. Using a great deal of energy, Manhattan reached into the real world, diverting the letter and then influencing the writers to change the identity to Hawk at the last minute to throw off suspicions.
    Then he created Parallax and caused Zero Hour to happen to further divert readers and put his plans into motion.

Death in the Family, Knightfall, Killing Joke and Death of Superman would also all likely be results of his meddling.
    This is a good theory.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

They could always end up pulling something like that. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'd make it Jon Kent, so then Superman can be rid of him. See, that's why the Legion choose him. Much like the Spectre took on Hal Jordan's soul in an attempt to exorcise his spirit from Parallax, the Legion is covertly trying to exorcise the parasite known as Jon Kent from Superman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-29-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    They could always end up pulling something like that. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'd make it Jon Kent, so then Superman can be rid of him. See, that's why the Legion choose him. Much like the Spectre took on Hal Jordan's soul in an attempt to exorcise his spirit from Parallax, the Legion is covertly trying to exorcise the parasite known as Jon Kent from Superman.
    Okay . . . that’s something to consider.

Extraordinary Member

Didn't they just reiterate that the story is definitely in-canon?

Yeah, that's something to do with a fan-favorite character...

I'm sure they won't consider it, hence the emoticon signifying it as more of a joke suggestion. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could, but they won't, despite obviously being bored with the family dynamic as it was. They're just playing games at this point trying to be rid of it without actually getting rid of it. But if they ever did consider it I'd 100% support it. He's massively overrated and is more a hindrance on Superman and his mythos at this point than a benefit. When a character's existence is mostly popular because of a dynamic with another character that has absolutely nothing to do with the Superman mythos, that's a red flag that its not in the best interest of it. I can only pray he goes away eventually. Look at the stuff with Jon in Rucka's Lois Lane comic. Its completely devoid of any emotion because no one ever bothered to give Lois a consistent established dynamic with her own kid. He's done nothing positive for Superman but he's done even less for Lois Lane. He benefited from the Rebirth hype but in practice is a poorly developed square peg in a round hole in Superman's world. But hey he's awesome because it gives Damian a friend. Because that should be the priority of Superman stories.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-29-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

I'm sure they won't consider it, hence the emoticon signifying it as more of a joke suggestion, even though they're obviously tired of the family dynamic as it was to some degree (and thank goodness for that, if only Bendis didn't screw up and rob Superman of a key part of his history in the process of changing things up). But if they ever did consider it I'd 100% support it. He's massively overrated and is more a hindrance on Superman and his mythos at this point than a benefit. When a character's existence is mostly popular because of a dynamic with another character that has absolutely nothing to do with the Superman mythos, that's a red flag that its not in the best interest of it. I can only pray he goes away eventually. Look at the stuff with Jon in Rucka's Lois Lane comic. Its completely devoid of any emotion because no one ever bothered to give Lois a consistent established dynamic with her own kid. He's done nothing positive for Clark Kent/Superman and Lois Lane. He benefited from the Rebirth hype but in practice is a poorly developed square peg in a round hole in Superman's world. But hey he's awesome because it gives Damian a friend. Because that should be the priority of Superman stories.
    I don't think you've actually explained how he's more of a hindrance than not. Jon has appeared in all of one panel in Lois Lane's comic. So, I don't think there's enough ground to say that their dynamic lacks emotion. I mean, its okay not to like him personally, but I think your personal opinion is coloring your perception a bit.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-29-2019 at 09:45 PM.

I did. He either adds nothing to the most important pieces of the mythos (completely absent dynamic with Lois and every other supporting character) at best, and takes away at worst (devoted way too much focus on for most of the Rebirth initiative in the Superman title, now taking the Legion history away from Superman). And I've seen more of the Lois issue than the preview. Its empty. Clearly just Rucka tying up loose ends and getting it out of the way as he moves on with his Lois story. Painfully obvious even he knows he's completely irrelevant to Lois as a character despite being shoehorned into continuity three years ago now. As it stands now his only relevancy in the Superman mythos is a concept stolen from Superman himself to give to him. These are not signs of a good character. He's the Cousin Oliver of the mythos. This was done much better years ago when they adopted Chris. But, he wasn't attached to the hip of a Robin aiding the Batman mythos more than his own and didn't have the benefit of feeding off of Kal-El's written history and legacy to sustain him.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-29-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I did. He either adds nothing to the most important pieces of the mythos (completely absent dynamic with Lois and every other supporting character) at best, and takes away at worst (devoted way too much focus on for most of the Rebirth initiative in the Superman title, now taking the Legion history away from Superman). And I've seen more of the Lois issue than the preview. Its empty. Clearly just Rucka tying up loose ends and getting it out of the way as he moves on with his Lois story. Painfully obvious even he knows he's completely irrelevant to Lois as a character despite being shoehorned into continuity three years ago now. As it stands now his only relevancy in the Superman mythos is a concept stolen from Superman himself to give to him. These are not signs of a good character. He's the Cousin Oliver of the mythos.
    Again, that's your opinion. And there's nothing wrong with that, as long as you recognize that that's what it is: your opinion. In the opinions of a lot of other people, Jon is probably one of the best new characters to come along in years.

And, as for adding things to the mythos, didn't a huge part of Bendis's run just center around him being the main reason for Clark and Jor El's strained relationship and featured him going up against the Crime Syndicate? But aside from that, how about the time he helped fight the forces of Apokolips or when he was the main one to interact with Kathy and the other alien neighbors of the Kents while they were in Hamilton? I'd say that probably counts as adding something to the mythos.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-29-2019 at 10:03 PM.