Mighty Member

Default Comics like the Arkham games?

These games are what really got me into Batman along with the animated series and wanted to know if there are any comics similar to them? I also really liked Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Hush, Year 1, Court of Owls, and The Long Halloween. Anything that focuses on Bruce or Batman as a detective is great. I'm not a big fan of his supporting characters outside of Catwoman, Nightwing, Oracle, and Damian. I love anything to do with Gotham and/or his rogue gallery unless Harley Quinn or Poison Ivy is heavily featured because they are sort of annoying.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    These games are what really got me into Batman along with the animated series and wanted to know if there are any comics similar to them? I also really liked Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Hush, Year 1, Court of Owls, and The Long Halloween. Anything that focuses on Bruce or Batman as a detective is great. I'm not a big fan of his supporting characters outside of Catwoman, Nightwing, Oracle, and Damian. I love anything to do with Gotham and/or his rogue gallery unless Harley Quinn or Poison Ivy is heavily featured because they are sort of annoying.
    Have you checked out the comics based on the Arkham games? They are really great, some were written by the great Dini and Tomasi.

If you love Batman trapped fighting against his greatest villains I would have to 100% recommend Batman No Man's Land. This story line lasted a year throughout all Batman family books in the late 90's; so you'll have everybody you mentioned except Damian. This was also the storyline where Harley Quinn was first introduced into the comics world; she didn't achieve oversaturation status yet.

You can also check out Batman Knightfall which pits Bane against Batman for the first part and they just re-released them so they are easily available, here Bane releases all of the Arkham inmates to fight Batman so he can finally break him.

And if you love Damian you have to read Batman & Robin by Tomasi, they have an omnibus which is beyond epic.

Hopefully this can get you started in your life long love for Batman.

The game is loosely based on Batman: Arkham Asylum A Serious House on a Serious Earth.

But the game is several hours long and the story is a hundred pages, so obviously the game took many liberties and embellishments. The book itself is a trippy, demented masterpiece unlike any comic I've read before or after.

Also in the vein of stories you mentioned is The Man Who Laughs.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Probably Paul Dini’s run on detective comics, and streets of Gotham. He’s the guy who wrote Asylum and City.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

I would say A Serious House On A Serious Earth for Arkham Asylum, No Man's Land for Arkham City, and Under The Red Hood for Arkham Knight.

BANNED

There is an Omnibus which collects all the published Arkham Game series comics as far as i know.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I haven't read A Serious House but my impression was it's more like a trippy horror experience, while the first game has a tone more akin to BTAS, just more adult and violent. So I guess it's a mix of both.

Mighty Member

I don't think I've read any of these so I will definitely look into everything mentioned here. Thanks for the recommendations.