Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Another group that surprisingly hasn't gotten mentioned (unless I missed it) is Pink Floyd. Dark Side of the Moon (1973) holds all kinds of records for longest charting and The Wall is technically a 70 album even if just barely (released in November of 1979)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    They got a mention on page 4!

One other thing about them, the documentary Nothing Can Hurt Me is on at least on of those free Roku channels(Tubi?). If you like Big Star, I would make a serious attempt at seeing it.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Ah, good old Dave Marsh. He's always been a good barometer of personal taste for me. If Dave Marsh hates something then it's probably well worth checking out. The word curmudgeon springs to mind.

I think part of my stance on this is being English. Here in the UK, Queen's profile isn't too far short of that of The Beatles. The band have always been immensely popular with the general public on these shores and are probably held in higher regard than Led Zeppelin. Sometimes the rest of the world has shared that opinion and at other times, particularly in the US which went a bit cold on the band in the 80's, sometimes that reverence has been somewhat tempered. I'm not kidding when I rank Queen's overall popularity here in the UK. They are well up there with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones in terms of affection. They never went out of style here.
    I posted earlier how they lost favor in the US when Freddie's sexuality became more apparent esp with the I Want to Break Free video. Brian and Roger have cited that in a few online interviews. Amazingly enough, the last time they appeared in the US was a Saturday Night Live appearance when Freddie had a sore throat. It was around the time Crazy Little Thing Called Love was a popular hit for them in the US along with Another One Bites the Dust

I've only been to GB once and this was in 1995. I recalled how my cousin took me shopping in London in we were in a touristy store. I recall seeing a lot of Queen merch there. A lot more than the Beatles or the Rolling Stones. So I don't doubt they never lost their British fan base. I recall they did regain their standing for a while in the US after they nailed it with their Live Aid performance. But of course not long after that Freddie's health was starting to decline and they would only tour one more time, but with no US dates.

There is a lot more interest in them these days here in the US because of the film. I wore a Queen shirt to a cook out and my 13 year old niece wanted me to get her one two and her brother is currently trying to learn the piano sections of Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-02-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post

Carole King had written and co-written big hits for other people, but she broke out as a solo artist in the 70s. Especially among female audiences, she was the sound of the 70s.
    I would give equal props to Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell in this category.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    They got a mention on page 4!

One other thing about them, the documentary Nothing Can Hurt Me is on at least on of those free Roku channels(Tubi?). If you like Big Star, I would make a serious attempt at seeing it.
    Yeah, I watched that a few months ago. The soundtrack album for the documentary is also really good. It has a bunch of alternate/rough mixes of their best songs.

Yeah, I watched that a few months ago. The soundtrack album for the documentary is also really good. It has a bunch of alternate/rough mixes of their best songs.
    One more quick one...

You know about the expanded/bonus disc version of Third/Sisters Lovers, right?

I think I even heard that the label that put it out might be putting out a "Bonus" reissue of the nineties album(In Space) that the guys from The Posies were on.

BANNED

One more quick one...

You know about the expanded/bonus disc version of Third/Sisters Lovers, right?
    I didn’t, actually! I’m listening to it now.

I didn’t, actually! I’m listening to it now.
    Spoilers

spoilers:
    It is completely amazing.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

The answer; there is no one music that represents the 70s.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The answer; there is no one music that represents the 70s.
    Disco is still the most 70s of all those music styles represented here. It had the least influences from the 60s and least continued into the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Disco is still the most 70s of all those music styles represented here. It had the least influences from the 60s and least continued into the 80s.
    If that is the metric, it's up for debate.

You could make an argument that Progressive Rock ran neck and neck when it came to not lifting from the sixties and having almost no presence during the eighties.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

If that is the metric, it's up for debate.

You could make an argument that Progressive Rock ran neck and neck when it came to not lifting from the sixties and having almost no presence during the eighties.
    I had to look what kind of white foolishness that is, and according to Wikipedia at least:

Progressive rock (shortened as prog; sometimes called art rock, classical rock or symphonic rock) is a broad genre of rock music[8] that developed in the United Kingdom and United States throughout the mid- to late 1960s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

The single that represents the 1970s for me.

Last edited by Surf; 10-03-2019 at 06:58 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.