Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Almost forgot about the Brothers Gibb. They already scored hits in the early 70's before they hopped on the Disco train:

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    It's a tough call for me. I feel like Donna Summer hits the late 70s to a "t".

But overall, I'd say Led Zeppelin with Robert Plant for the whole decade.
    As opposed to Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant?

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Almost forgot about the Brothers Gibb. They already scored hits in the early 70's before they hopped on the Disco train:
    Yeah, they were huge in my neck of the woods back in the day. My sister was such a huge fan that at her 11th birthday party, half the guests got her a copy of their then-current album. As for me, I preferred their '60s stuff.

If I had to choose one artist to represent my '70s, it would be David Bowie, with Stevie Wonder as a close record. Both had an amazing run of LPs in that decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Yeah, they were huge in my neck of the woods back in the day. My sister was such a huge fan that at her 11th birthday party, half the guests got her a copy of their then-current album. As for me, I preferred their '60s stuff.

If I had to choose one artist to represent my '70s, it would be David Bowie, with Stevie Wonder as a close record. Both had an amazing run of LPs in that decade.
    Yep. Either one of them is a completely solid choice.

Another "Wouldn't Be The First One Who Came To Mind..." hit me yesterday in the afternoon.

Willie Nelson.

Heck, you could take just the two halves of his seventies output(Both Sides Now through Phases And Stages or Red Headed Stranger through Pretty Paper) and he would still be in the running.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post

Agreed. "Songs in the Key of Life" was, in my opinion, Stevie's masterwork, the best album of his career.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    So for your consideration, I present to you the brain child of Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, Chic!
    Shoutout to the late, GREAT Bernard Edwards who left us waaay to soon. Man, Nile Rodgers, that is all.

Anyway, 3 pages in and no mention of the golden era of THE FUNK!?!? Parliment, EW&F, Issac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, none of that ring any 70's bells... Ban yourselves, all of you.

My favorite group of the 70's is The Ohio Players and so I'll admit they may not represent the entirety of the decade. If I cast a non-FUNK vote it would be Chicago then, I feel they were a cooler version of Fleetwood Mac if you are talking about the most mainstream acts of the 70's.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

David Bowie was probably the most versatile. His discography is pretty prolific and he reinvented his sound, pretty successfully, constantly.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

so I'll stand by the book burning comparison.#
    Of course you will, it fits your narrative. Not a single mention of all the Bee Gees records destroyed, though.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Another "Wouldn't Be The First One Who Came To Mind..." hit me yesterday in the afternoon.

Willie Nelson.

Heck, you could take just the two halves of his seventies output(Both Sides Now through Phases And Stages or Red Headed Stranger through Pretty Paper) and he would still be in the running.
    Nice one.

The general pubic may only remember him for his love of herb and his tax problems, but his songwriting talent and role in the outlaw country movement can't be denied. Plus, I think he;s an underrated as an interpreter of other people's songs.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Just to point this out...

If you are even remotely serious when you inquire about why no one showed up with a Cheap Trick record to destroy?

No one should be taking any conclusions you have arrived at seriously.

Never mind that the person seems to actually believe that The Carpenters was a rock band(or that someone would bring one of their records to destroy).

Edit: In addition, someone wondering why no one who was likely from Illinois turned up with a Cheap Trick record to destroy.

The degree to which it has not been thought through is stunning.
    Or maybe you should not take it so literal. The point is, no white artists were to have their records destroyed, the examples given do not matter, they just describe the range of music being spared because of racism.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

One other thing about the line of reasoning here...

It seems to be "Thing A Has Inherent Merit Because It Played A Role In The Creation Of Thing B".

If that is how you are judging things, Nile Rodgers has been pretty open about how Roxy Music(and, to a lesser degree, KISS) put some of the ideas for what would wind up being Chic in his head.

That would seem to put Roxy Music(or, maybe KISS) in a better position than Chic.
    They took the song, 30. And rapped over it. That is a bit different from hearing a Roxy Music song and creating a whole new sound from it.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Don't even know that it's harsh.

There's a perfectly valid case to be made for that take.
    Sure, for homophobic white guys sticking their heads in the sand.

For the rest, the 70s were just as revolutionary as the 60s. Female solo artists were around much more, and now they were writing their own songs, like Carole King and Joni Mitchell.

And I can't stress enough how much it meant to queer people. Johnny Mathis never had the kind of freedom Sylvester, Tony Washington (of the Dynamic Superiors) or Carl Bean had. And once Disco was murdered, it was right back into the closet with black artists like Luther Vandross.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    David Bowie was probably the most versatile. His discography is pretty prolific and he reinvented his sound, pretty successfully, constantly.
    Ironically, Bowie's career got a little lackluster in the early 80s and didn't take off again until Chic's Nile Rodgers gave him a huge hit with "Let's Dance!"

Hillary was right!

Ironically, Bowie's career got a little lackluster in the early 80s and didn't take off again until Chic's Nile Rodgers gave him a huge hit with "Let's Dance!"
    Makes sense, Bowie was definitely someone who could appreciate talent, and sought it out.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Makes sense, Bowie was definitely someone who could appreciate talent, and sought it out.
    Nile Rodgers also produced Madonna's "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" and his guitar riffs were everywhere a few years ago thanks to his cooperation with Daft Punk and Pharrell Williams, Get Lucky.