Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Not just that album. Those guys were the core of Bowie's band from Station to Station to Scary Monsters. Alomar was a big part of Young Americans (he co-wrote "Fame" and, IIRC, brought in Luther Vandross, who ended up singing on it.) and some later records too.
    Oh, for sure.

It just feels like Scary Monsters(and Super Creeps) sometimes takes some unfair lumps when folks compare it to the commercial success that Let's Dance had.

Just felt like it was worth pointing out that while some folks(understandably, mind you) might see Scary Monsters(and Super Creeps) as something of a stumble, it's not exactly that straightforward when you take a little bit closer look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    They were brilliant (I recall a six-month period where 3rd/Sister Lovers did not leave my record player) but they were a reaction to the '70s as much as a '70s band. Same with The Raspberries.
    Just a quick "FYI" there...

A little while back, a record label called Omnivore put out a multi-disc version of that album that includes a lot of Jim Dickinson's initial mixes of songs that didn't wind up making up what was eventually released as that album.

If you are a fan of it, it could be worth looking into. If you do and have any trouble finding it, I can pm you a link.

One other bit that is related to some of what has come up in the thread...

If you are a fan of David Bowie(or Orson Welles) and have not seen the film Velvet Goldmine, it might be worth it to sit through it if you ever get the chance.

(Even if Bowie seemingly took issue with it initially)

The Bee Gees

Disco baby

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Any one of us trying to decide that we actually speak for "The Rest" is kinda goofy.

While I absolutely get where you are coming from about disco and female singer/songwriters...

To decide that...

- Seventies Progressive Rock
    - Seventies Punk Rock(Heck just the Rocket From The Tombs/Pere Ubu/Dead Boys corner)
    - Alice Cooper Alone
    - The Jackson Five Alone
    - Willie Nelson Alone
    - Glam Rock
    - Parliment/Funkadelic Alone

- were not every bit as revolutionary and representative of the time just doesn't make much sense.

Never mind the discussion we could have about just how much punk rock let women/minorities/folks who were not straight into the movement.

Same goes for folks who were not straight and glam rock.
    That lasted for a short amount of time, but it's not hard to see where after a couple of years the movement splintered into some scenes that were "progressive" while others could be described as kinda reactionary.

Invincible Member

One other bit that is related to some of what has come up in the thread...

If you are a fan of David Bowie(or Orson Welles) and have not seen the film Velvet Goldmine, it might be worth it to sit through it if you ever get the chance.

(Even if Bowie seemingly took issue with it initially)
    Velvet Goldmine is one of my favorites. The movie took some material from a book Bowie's ex-wife wrote about him, so Dave refused to let his music be used for the film.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Ironically, Bowie's career got a little lackluster in the early 80s and didn't take off again until Chic's Nile Rodgers gave him a huge hit with "Let's Dance!"
    My recollection from the time (when I was only 9 so it could be skewed) was that Ashes to Ashes was huge.

I wish I could be lacklustre like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    My recollection from the time (when I was only 9 so it could be skewed) was that Ashes to Ashes was huge.

I wish I could be lacklustre like that.
    Also worth noting...

"Under Pressure" and "Cat People(Putting Out Fire)" are also from what might seem like that "Lackluster" run up to Let's Dance.

If only everyone's "Lackluster" work came out like that.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Also worth noting...

"Under Pressure" and "Cat People(Putting Out Fire)" are also from what might seem like that "Lackluster" run up to Let's Dance.

If only everyone's "Lackluster" work came out like that.
    "Under Pressure" peaked at #29 on the Hot 100. Cat People at (checks note) #67. That is lackluster.

"Let's Dance" was his second (and last) #1 in the US, after Fame 8 years earlier. It went to #1 around the fucking planet.

I will not have you diminish the importance of Nile Rodgers for Bowie's career. He produced the entire album, which gave Bowie a string of hits. With very few exceptions (like the collaboration with Mick Jagger), commercial success went downhill from there again.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

"Under Pressure" peaked at #29 on the Hot 100. Cat People at (checks note) #67. That is lackluster.

"Let's Dance" was his second (and last) #1 in the US, after Fame 8 years earlier. It went to #1 around the fucking planet.

I will not have you diminish the importance of Nile Rodgers for Bowie's career. He produced the entire album, which gave Bowie a string of hits. With very few exceptions (like the collaboration with Mick Jagger), commercial success went downhill from there again.
    Yeah, but Under Pressure has "legs" as they say. It's always getting airplay .

But we've gone four pages in and there has been no mention of Earth Wind and Fire so let's rectify that now

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, but Under Pressure has "legs" as they say. It's always getting airplay .
    To say the very least. Getting caught up in where it charted completely misses the point.

There is a perfectly solid reason that music reviewers default at the album before Let's Dance being the final "Great" Bowie album.

The idea that Let's Dance is even a particularly important point in the career of a guy who made all of the albums before Let's Dance is not on even remotely solid footing.

It was something of a commercial success. It wasn't really much past that when you actually look at the run of albums before it.

Shirt Is Optional Member Attila Kiss's Avatar

Deep Purple
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Speaking of a 1970's work with legs, Bohemian Rhapsody is officially the oldest work to hit 1 billion views on YouTube. Last fall it spiked up to 670 million and then this past July it hit the 1 billion mark
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-01-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Speaking of a 1970's work with legs, Bohemian Rhapsody is officially the oldest work to hit 1 billion views on YouTube. Last fall it spiked up to 670 billion and then this past July it hit the 1 billion mark
    Don't even get me started on the case that we could make for Queen.

Echoing what others have already said it comes down to Led Zeppelin, ABBA, or the Bee Gees. While I get the argument for Queen I'd not put them in the top 3 because they peaked in the 80's and thats where their most iconic songs besides Bohemian Rhapsody came from.