Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you think the MCU could do an X-Force movie well?

X-Men and mutants coming to the MCU could mean a lot more than just X-Men movies. It can mean everything connected to it, including related teams like X-Factor, New Mutants, Excalibur, Alpha Flight, and for this topic, X-Force.

I wonder if the MCU could do an X-Force movie well? And how do you think they could do a movie about X-Force?

I imagine an X-Force movie will likely take heavily after later runs, in particular the Rick Remender run which deconstructed the '90s anti-hero archetype, and focused just as much on their personal ideals as much as the fighting. They'll probably skip over the whole "New Mutants become the X-Force" thing and just have them become a black ops team that splinters off from the X-Men in secret, to do what they won't do.

As for the roster, it's hard to say. I feel like the definitive X-Force roster is pictured above: Wolverine, Deadpool, Archangel, Fantomex and Psylocke. However, I also realize that the MCU is quite a different continuity and it depends on if they want Deadpool in it because the general idea is that he'll be separate due to this nature. They may also want to hold off on Wolverine. It's hard to say. I do also like the later additions like Spiral, AoA Nightcrawler and EVA.

Though there have been many members throughout history such as Domino, Cable, Shatterstar, Bishop, Cypher, Hepzibah, Rictor, X-23, Sunspot, Wolfsbane, Marrow, Forge and so on, so it just depends on how they go about it. But really, I think Uncanny X-Force is the best story to draw from in this regard. I know the MCU has never been a straight adaptation of the comics, but rather a distilled homage informed by them. Be that as it may, it should be most informed by later runs and not the early '90s stuff.

Although I do like the MCU's style and consistency, I hope they tone down the comedic aspect for an X-Force movie. Think like Black Panther, which kept the jokes minimal especially compared to its predecessor Thor: Ragnarok. Have some humor to keep it from being too dark and risk audiences getting apathetic, but also be a mature story about flawed individuals doing bad things for the greater good.

I also think the score should set the tone. Something dark, cinematic and electronic-themed with atmosphere.

Example:

Oh, and I hope MCU X-Force lasts longer than Deadpool 2's X-Force...

What do you think?

I’d love to see it personally. Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1 is probably the best X-Force run of all of them, at least IMO. So it would make sense to adapt it.

Yes they should. Fox could have done it. They had Logan, Deadpool, Psylocke, Cable, Domino, X-23 and an actor who wanted to play Fantomex, but of course it didn’t happen.

Hmm, Apocalypse Solution might be tricky; I think the MCU is willing to go darker than people give it credit for, but shooting a child in the head might be a touch too far. Dark Angel Saga, that could probably be done, though that was following up on a lot of continuity so it might be tricky. The original Uncanny X-Force will probably always be "my X-Force", so to speak. But I was onboard with the merging of original X-Force and Uncanny for Spurrier's run, that worked for me.

Deadpool established them as a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Deadpool itself is a joke, that’s the point. It’s comedy. They were planning an X-Force movie themselves, and it’s a Marvel staple despite its Liefeld origin. No reason they can’t do a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    The team at the end of the movie was going to be the real X-Force. Even down to Colossus not going back to the X-Mansion or Cable back to the family he had been fighting to save, even though none of that made any sense at all.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 09-29-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    The team at the end of the movie was going to be the real X-Force. Even down to Colossus not going back to the X-Mansion or Cable back to the family he had been fighting to save, even though none of that made any sense at all.
    Also, he apparently brought back everyone offscreen. According to Lewis Tan, Shatterstar was going to appear in the movie. At least, that was the plan before it got canned.

I think they could definitely do an X-Force movie. I don't think they would, because it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the tone of the MCU but things change all the time. MCU has gone a little dark at times but no where close to even sniffing any of the Uncanny X-Force arc's levels.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I can't remember anything about the X-force arc that screams it couldn't be told in the MCU. Of course you have change your approach to the violence some with Disney/marvel but between making the violence more stylized and enemies not being quite human. I think X-force could be told I would like to see modified version Kyle and Yost run and Remender run done on the big screen

One guy's take...

Wondering about this while the overall IP doesn't even have a single film in the books is counting your chickens.

Feels like it hinges on how well things that will have to happen first wind up working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I can't remember anything about the X-force arc that screams it couldn't be told in the MCU. Of course you have change your approach to the violence some with Disney/marvel but between making the violence more stylized and enemies not being quite human. I think X-force could be told I would like to see modified version Kyle and Yost run and Remender run done on the big screen
    Shooting a kid in the face doesn't really scream MCU to me. Neither does a father drowning his sun in a puddle of water. I also don't think it could be changed as it was the crux that the whole run hinged on. The rest of the run however I can see being done. If you change the approach then you aren't doing the X-Force run, which is fine, but that's what we're discussing. Don't get me wrong, I definitely would love to see it on the big screen but a real adaptation from the MCU seems highly unlikely.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Shooting a kid in the face doesn't really scream MCU to me. Neither does a father drowning his sun in a puddle of water. I also don't think it could be changed as it was the crux that the whole run hinged on. The rest of the run however I can see being done. If you change the approach then you aren't doing the X-Force run, which is fine, but that's what we're discussing. Don't get me wrong, I definitely would love to see it on the big screen but a real adaptation from the MCU seems highly unlikely.
    Killmonger shot his girlfriend then shot Klaw in the head, Hawkeye slits a man throat, Thanos was decapitated ,Yondu murdered his whole crew on screen. The level of violence needed I think can be done with in MCU terms. Of course it is better suited for a more mature approach but it is possible to pull off in the MCU imo. I guess the big test is going to come with Black Widow which I think is going to surprise people a little how dark it will be. I think Winter Soldier,Civil War and Black Panther show MCU can do mature enough content/Stories. You don't have show Evan being shot you can cut away,Hear the gunfire and hear the body drop. You don't have show Daken dying,You can show Wolverine holding him under water, Cut away and show his lifeless body. Once you stay away from explicitly showing the kills or blood, You can get away with a lot of violence in movies.

Saw my MCU shelf the other day and noticed they’re all 12 rated, which is the same as The Dark Knight here; Even Ant-Man and the Wasp, which I don’t even think has implied deaths or sexy times in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Killmonger shot his girlfriend then shot Klaw in the head, Hawkeye slits a man throat, Thanos was decapitated ,Yondu murdered his whole crew on screen. The level of violence needed I think can be done with in MCU terms. Of course it is better suited for a more mature approach but it is possible to pull off in the MCU imo. I guess the big test is going to come with Black Widow which I think is going to surprise people a little how dark it will be. I think Winter Soldier,Civil War and Black Panther show MCU can do mature enough content/Stories. You don't have show Evan being shot you can cut away,Hear the gunfire and hear the body drop. You don't have show Daken dying,You can show Wolverine holding him under water, Cut away and show his lifeless body. Once you stay away from explicitly showing the kills or blood, You can get away with a lot of violence in movies.
    Yeah, PG-13 is pretty flexible and people exaggerate how kid-friendly the MCU is. Something with the tone of Winter Soldier or Black Panther would fit an X-Force movie just fine.