Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Is X-23 the most recent character from the brand to really take off?

I'm wondering if X-23 is the most recent character from the X-Men brand to reach a level of mainstream recognition that no one else from her era has. Granted, she's not the only X-Men character post-2000 to gain popularity and prominence, but none have managed to reach her level. I feel like what's partially to blame of course is the war Marvel waged on Fox with X-Men being in the crossfire, thus no marketing, no video games, no animated appearances and so on, and of course, Fox's ignorance of the source combined with not being in the MCU, has prevented newer X-Men characters from being able to break out. There's a reason other characters like Pixie and Armor haven't really appeared much outside the comics, and thus, lack of exposure.

Most people are aware of X-23. She was first created in 2003's X-Men: Evolution animated series and was a big enough hit that Marvel integrated her in the main comics continuity in 2004, with a similar, but altered, take to fit the different continuity. It was even written out by Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, continuing from the show, which made it all the more legit.

She's since become a regular throughout the comics, having minis, team appearances as a prominent character, solo ongoings, and of course, she was Wolverine for a while (which despite the stigma as being part of an initiative many hated, was a good comic). Then of course, she's been in other media like Wolverine and the X-Men, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (notably she was by far the most recent Marvel character included in the cast), numerous mobile games, and her memorable appearance in Logan (a bit different but still enjoyable).

Something about her is very dark, yet still fun to watch. There's a reason many accept X-23, but not Daken. That lends herself to enjoyable appearances because she has a cool, distinct set from Wolverine and it's fun to see her interact with others.

I feel like no character introduced post-2000 has took off like this. Again, the Marvel-Fox War has a lot of blame. So it makes me wonder: Now that the war has been settled, what will happen? I wonder if other more recent characters can become better known, as well as the possibility of future characters becoming hits. After all, Marvel has completely lifted the ban on X-Men now that Disney bought Fox, so we can expect marketing, game appearances, animated appearances, and of course, the MCU, to remedy much of the issue. I wonder how long it'll take for a new character to be introduced and take off? Surely the 2020s must have a breakout star, right?

Let me know what you think.

I hope they dont go crazy introducing new characters just yet and give some "older" characters from the past like 20 years a lil more push. that seems to be the direction they're going with all the resurrection business

BANNED

I don’t think there’s much of a question about it. X is to the 2000s what Kitty and Jubilee were to the 80s and 90s, while we didn’t get a 2010s breakout, thanks to Marvel’s double-down on Claremont/Byrne/Lee nostalgia this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I don’t think there’s much of a question about it. X is to the 2000s what Kitty and Jubilee were to the 80s and 90s, while we didn’t get a 2010s breakout, thanks to Marvel’s double-down on Claremont/Byrne/Lee nostalgia this decade.
    I thought it was because Marvel was treating them like garbage over movie rights?

Overall, I'd say the '20s are more likely to have a breakout star than the '10s what with the golden age that's dawning on us.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I thought it was because Marvel was treating them like garbage over movie rights?

Overall, I'd say the '20s are more likely to have a breakout star than the '10s what with the golden age that's dawning on us.
    The last ten years was heavily focused on nostalgia. Film rights had nothing to do with it. Frankly I doubt we’ll see a new character like that in the next decade, either. Laura came in at the tail end of the period where Marvel was actually allowing new generations to matter. However starting towards the latter half of the 2000s Marvel has gotten increasingly fixated on maintaining a status quo, that was also one of the driving factors of One More Day, and a doubling down on enforcing the Sliding Time Scale to keep the original generation heroes front and center. There’s outliers like Miles and Kamala, but they’re just that: Outliers.

I honestly thought Pixie was going to stick back around the Fraction/Gillen era, but obviously that didn't pan out.

Quintin Quire? Not in multimedia, but he's become prominent post-Schism.

Pretty sure the 10s answer to Kitty, Jubilee, and Laura was Jeen.

Was hoping Marvel would’ve found a way for the rest of the O5 to go back with older Iceman, leaving a young gay Iceboy to be the sidekick for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The last ten years was heavily focused on nostalgia. Film rights had nothing to do with it. Frankly I doubt we’ll see a new character like that in the next decade, either. Laura came in at the tail end of the period where Marvel was actually allowing new generations to matter. However starting towards the latter half of the 2000s Marvel has gotten increasingly fixated on maintaining a status quo, that was also one of the driving factors of One More Day, and a doubling down on enforcing the Sliding Time Scale to keep the original generation heroes front and center. There’s outliers like Miles and Kamala, but they’re just that: Outliers.
    I don't think we'll be getting any genuinely new characters, seeing as Hickman's line seems to be to use old characters and not new ones, but if we're lucky somebody will pick up an underused character or two and make them shine.

I feel like there's bound to be new characters, since the new status quo allows for newcomers to be made more easily. Someone's got be a hit at some point.

I feel like there's bound to be new characters, since the new status quo allows for newcomers to be made more easily. Someone's got be a hit at some point.
    I just mean, Hickman has said he's not interested in making many new X-Men, since there's so many already. But a character doesn't need to be new to be a break-out character. Deadpool is probably a good reference point for that.

Has he said that? It also depends on context: The X-Men in general needed a kick in the ass revamp, the one Hickman has been giving them with Dawn of X. Once the basics are covered, making a new character and promoting them is a sound idea.

Has he said that? It also depends on context: The X-Men in general needed a kick in the ass revamp, the one Hickman has been giving them with Dawn of X. Once the basics are covered, making a new character and promoting them is a sound idea.
    https://www.comicsbeat.com/sdcc-19-j...otlight-panel/
    More interesting bits to me included Hickman’s philosophy on creating new characters, insofar as he doesn’t think the X-Men comics need them.

“The reason we hired a bunch of different writers is because they’d have a bunch of different favorite characters,” he said. “My only rule for what we’re doing with the vast majority of the X-Stuff…is there’s no real need to create new characters when you have hundreds that really aren’t being serviced in a way that makes everybody happy.”
    It sounds like his philosophy is more interested in elevating existing characters.

Again, context matters. The whole "aren't being serviced" thing definitely lends to this. The X-Men were in such a rut that they needed a total revamp to make them good. That's why we have Dawn of X. It makes more sense to do new characters and push them when the X-Men aren't being treated like trash but are actually on top again, and they can be used in the MCU and surrounding media.

Again, context matters. The whole "aren't being serviced" thing definitely lends to this. The X-Men were in such a rut that they needed a total revamp to make them good. That's why we have Dawn of X. It makes more sense to do new characters and push them when the X-Men aren't being treated like trash but are actually on top again, and they can be used in the MCU and surrounding media.
    That wasn’t the only thing holding the franchise back. Writers were more invested in creating pet characters without investing time and effort into making them solid characters. Not to mention that there are so many other characters that could be great to adapt into the MCU if they were given a bit more love. The X-Line is already saturated enough with characters that creating new ones won’t do anything but push fan favorites down.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I hope they dont go crazy introducing new characters just yet and give some "older" characters from the past like 20 years a lil more push. that seems to be the direction they're going with all the resurrection business
    Didn't Hickman say he wasn't creating any new characters?

If so, I'm ecstatic.
    Too many characters who have so much potential from the newer generation as well.