Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It goes back to what I said, give it time. Remember, Mr. Sinister was made because Chris Claremont wanted a brand new big bad villain he could call his own after using Magneto and the Brotherhood for so long. Point is, writers eventually want to create something new. It just needs to be organic is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    Didn't Hickman say he wasn't creating any new characters?

If so, I'm ecstatic.
    Too many characters who have so much potential from the newer generation as well.
    yup. and aside from the 3 mutants from HoX 1 that came to krakoa w/ Jean and will probably never be seen again, it seems like hes holding true to that. granted its been like ten issues, but still

BANNED

Short answer is yes. Undoubtedly. Female derivatives of already established make characters have never been my particular taste tho. She doesn't annoy me tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The last ten years was heavily focused on nostalgia. Film rights had nothing to do with it. Frankly I doubt we’ll see a new character like that in the next decade, either. Laura came in at the tail end of the period where Marvel was actually allowing new generations to matter. However starting towards the latter half of the 2000s Marvel has gotten increasingly fixated on maintaining a status quo, that was also one of the driving factors of One More Day, and a doubling down on enforcing the Sliding Time Scale to keep the original generation heroes front and center. There’s outliers like Miles and Kamala, but they’re just that: Outliers.
    Yes. NOstalgia was not just somethign of movies. Pretty much all of fiction fell into it. Sometime with good results but other times lead to a stagnation, that make happy only very few fans.
    New character are created but rarely pushed or even just put at the center of the story. In case of X-men franchise does not help that unless a "powerfull" author decide to use HIS own creation most sotries revovle about the usuals. As the Claremont X-men usual. Rachel Grey is just a (criminal) example of it.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Yeah, I don't think there has been another mutant newly introduced in the last 20 years that comes close to rivaling the success X-23 has enjoyed. I feel that New X-Men could have potentially gotten the momentum going in resulting in several mutants taking off to considerable success, but X-23 seems to be the only one from that team that has been consistently given major roles since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    It goes back to what I said, give it time. Remember, Mr. Sinister was made because Chris Claremont wanted a brand new big bad villain he could call his own after using Magneto and the Brotherhood for so long. Point is, writers eventually want to create something new. It just needs to be organic is all.
    but we actually need new villains and not more x-men when there are more x-men than there are unicorn skeletons in my basement
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

lol the reason for many accepting Laura but not Daken is that Laura is a well-developed character on her own, not alongside of Logan – writers clearly care about her and invest in the character, while Daken was strictly attached to Logan and was used most of the times as an expandable plot device for Logan to further his stories – writers not investing much in his character or deepen his purpose like Laura. He doesn’t exist outside of Logan, never did anything that wasn’t about Logan. we still don’t know much about his past or even his name…

Laura is one of the few charters who was really well developed (in comparison to some other characters who got less panel time or character assassination), she was given lots of panel time, good stories and purpose that drove her. I love how much she improved throughout the years, she is a character literally about finding herself and self-improvement, there is a constant change with her and you just want to know where she ends up. and they manage to make her not to be a simple female Logan copy. Laura is just great.
    It's easier to get attached to characters that develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    but we actually need new villains and not more x-men when there are more x-men than there are unicorn skeletons in my basement
    True. Writers rather make their own pet character it seems. Said character is usually a hero.

I wonder who the last big villian was....
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Hickman's Flower Scouts have the potential!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

There really have not been many new X-villains for the past decade or so.

Yes and she might be the last one for a while.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I can't think of another character that broke out like she did, but I'd love to hear if others who've read more comics know of any.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

You can't blame Fox for this very few characters breakout in America comics because the system pushes fans to older characters. Manga /Anime you find tons of different characters to love I can point you from Sailor Moon/Voltron/Robotech to Yu Yu Hakusho/ Dragon Ball Z/Inuyasha to Pokemon/Digimon/Yugioh to Naruto/Bleach/One Piece to My Hero Academia/Demon Slayer. America superhero comics are built to push you back to older characters and books. If Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Hulk, Wolverine is the standard. Then only Venom, Deadpool, Harley Quinn have sniffed anywhere close. They have been stuff like Walking Dead, Saga, and couple other independent stuff that break out but that is usually rare as well.

X-23 is the next tier under Venom, Deadpool,Harley Quinn with stuff like Mile Morales, Ms Marvel,etc. X-23 has break out as self sustainable star but she could easily fade out as well imo. The other two characters for the X-men realm that have break out in this period( 2000s ) is Magik and Emma Frost. They of course don't have the solo books but those two characters profile with in the X-world has risen where they are mainstay or near mainstays now. I believe Magik with the right creative team would have success.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    Didn't Hickman say he wasn't creating any new characters?

If so, I'm ecstatic.
    Too many characters who have so much potential from the newer generation as well.
    He may have said it, but he’s already done it
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    He may have said it, but he’s already done it
    I think he meant "no new characters sticking around". The new characters he made have all died by this point.