View Poll Results: Where do your interests lie?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Here for the X-Men.

85 67.46%
  • Here for my fave(s)

41 32.54%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    X-men obviously. Once your fav gets written like crap you learn to not invest so much in a small number of characters.
    This.
    But the opposite for me. Because I'm here for the X-Men, I can ignore when my personal faves are written...not to my expectation.
    If the X-book in question is written by a crap writer...well...I drop that shyt.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Way back in 1975, I bought Giant Size X-Men #1 off the rack because I saw that Wolverine character that I liked so much from the Hulk comics, never considering it would become a classic, and one of the most valuable comics from the entire era. I liked the story, though, so I started buying the new issues from #94. I didn't particularly care for Thunderbird, but his death in #95 affected me, and as the series went on and everybody's personalities were being developed more, I found that I cared for all of them. As I was reading #113, it dawned on me just how good the book had gotten, and it really picked up from there. I like almost all the characters that come and go, but I'm an X-Men fan. That's why I own every issue of every X-Men title since GS X-Men #1, and adding more every month (Unfortunately, the original copies of the classics are long lost to me, so I was forced to pony up to own them. Well worth it, though.).

100% for the X-Men, but I absolutely have my favorites. I get twitchy when my favorites aren't around, but a well written storyline will keep me invested and reading.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Other than Storm, I don't think HoX or PoX have had any of my favorites, so I'd say I'm more here for X-Men than my favorites
    Make Good Art

All-New Member

For me it is mostly about the writers for Marvel. If a new title is being written by one of my favourite writers, I'll pick it iup regardless of the team/character. And if my favourite team/chaacter is being written by someone I don't like, I probably won't bother picking it up.

BANNED

I'm here for interesting stories, which hopefully feature some characters I like (faves don't have to be included, but quality of story can drop a little if they are).

So...I've not collected X-Men during various periods of time; same as I have with any comic title.

Astonishing Member

Okay, here's the thing. I love the concept of the X-Men. I really do. But the franchise is just so damn big. Too big sometimes. And too expensive to try every book or read multiple books at once. So, sometimes it's easier to just follow your fave character from book to book within the franchise. Like, how it's easier for me to have followed Jubilee from Generation X vol. 2 to Uncanny X-Men to X-Tremists and later to Excalibur.

Following your faves is a way of making the franchise more manageable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    X-men obviously. Once your fav gets written like crap you learn to not invest so much in a small number of characters.
    Precisely. At some point, it gets old and you realize getting to attached to favorites is a disservice to your enjoyment of comics.

The optimal strategy is to just get what you really want and pop all the other cherries using Marvel Unlimited for the completionist award.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Used to be both but mainly just here for Dazzler. Like I was loving HoX/PoX but when u tease Dazzfans with Her on the promo **** and then omit her completely like, I dunno, a lot of my interest for the books just kinda became tertiary. Weird.
    Last edited by ohsnapulon5000; 10-01-2019 at 05:58 PM.

I'll always be a fan of the X-Men. That said, I only pick up the trades with my fav characters when my finances will allow it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Precisely. At some point, it gets old and you realize getting to attached to favorites is a disservice to your enjoyment of comics.
    How? 11 years of not buying an X-Men book has to ruined my enjoyment of comics (X-Men Academy was the last book).

I just found other books to read.

I am not paying for pet fanfiction.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I am here for both, I love my faves and the X-men.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I'll be honest, I never realized how toxic some fandoms were till I joined CBR. There are some topics I don't even dare to click.

Some people aren't happy unless their favorite is the center of the x-universe

The X-Men ARE my favorites. ha ha.

Its a remarkable thing how some characters remain tried and true over the years and some fall from grace, but under the right circumstances/writing ANY X-Man can suddenly ascend and snag a seat in my beloved Fantheon!

I never in a million years would have believed that a 90's He-Man extra like Shatterstar would even REGISTER on my fan-meter, but then X-Factor Investigations happened. Beast and Rachel continually wax and wane on my radar. Prior to Morrison's run, I had no strong feelings for Miss Frost. Now she's my Kween. Who'd a'thunk?? X-23 rubbed me the wrong way for years and now Orphans of X is one of my most favorite storylines. Illyana is BAE -- but I can confidently say that I've not enjoyed, nor defended, eeeeevery appearance. I will say I was(am?) 100% in support of that time she was incarcerated and strapped with explosives. I thought that was terrific.

Anyways...

The X-Men are incredible. Its a community effort (both on the creative side, and within the fandom) that shifts and tilts my enjoyment but of all the Fiction out there, the X-Men feel most like Home.