View Poll Results: Where do your interests lie?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Here for the X-Men.

85 67.46%
  • Here for my fave(s)

41 32.54%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

I have my faves, but I always look up to the X-Men as a team. Always have, always will. I'm a fan of them because of the concept, their relationship with each other, and the metaphor they represent.

And tbh, I think this is also the reason why solo books that is not Wolverine are not selling that well (bad writing aside). It's arguable though, because Magneto has some good writing and good sales, so.

I'm a huge fan of the X-Men and everything about them.

But without my favorite Cable being involved in this awesome story arc, it has tainted things a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I'll be honest, I never realized how toxic some fandoms were till I joined CBR. There are some topics I don't even dare to click.

Some people aren't happy unless their favorite is the center of the x-universe
    I have seen far worse elsewhere, although I will agree that there some pretty single-minded people around here.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How? 11 years of not buying an X-Men book has to ruined my enjoyment of comics (X-Men Academy was the last book).

I just found other books to read.

I am not paying for pet fanfiction.
    That is my take too. Fans started writing and doing their faves fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    X-men obviously. Once your fav gets written like crap you learn to not invest so much in a small number of characters.
    This got the opposite effect on me

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

My faves would be less fave-y were they to get removed from the themes and concepts associated with X-lore, let's put it like that.

Also I have an open mind to characters rising (or falling) in favedom so I am perfectly willing to read stuff with chars I don't already love. It's all in the execution and details, and for me X-Men is a cluster of ideas and principles really not so much a fixed set of characters.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I'm just here for my faves. If either Wolverine, Bishop, or Storm ain't involved, I usually don't bother with it. Some exceptions maybe include Jubilee, Gambit, Sabretooth, Rogue, and X23.

I'm kind of in the middle of this, tbh. I'm way more inclined to read if my favorite (Kitty) is involved, and if my favorite hasn't been written well (Which imo she hasn't in a while), then I usually will drop off from reading the X-Men titles.

That being said, I've enjoyed many runs without Kitty, more than runs that involved her. I hated Whedon's run but loved Morrison's.

BANNED

I'm mostly here for my faves, Emma, Storm, X-23 and (on the fence) Psylocke.

The X-Men have not been Claremonts X-Men for some time. Noble men and women who overcame hate and adversity to be their better selves and serve society. Now they are entitled and arrogant and think that everyone should bow down and serve them.

Further for the longest time the books seemed to be little more than the Scott Summers show. Cyclops seemed to be a little more than a stand in for the writers un-fulfilled Big Man On Campus high school fantasy with his hot girlfriend and fawning friends. It wasn't about team work. And don't get me started on the SJW retcons. That's not good storytelling. One thing I loved about the X-Men in the 80's to mid 90's is that even if they had a character I was not into I could still enjoy reading about him or her because they were fleshed out and interesting. Not so much now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post

Further for the longest time the books seemed to be little more than the Scott Summers show. Cyclops seemed to be a little more than a stand in for the writers un-fulfilled Big Man On Campus high school fantasy with his hot girlfriend and fawning friends. It wasn't about team work. And don't get me started on the SJW retcons. That's not good storytelling. One thing I loved about the X-Men in the 80's to mid 90's is that even if they had a character I was not into I could still enjoy reading about him or her because they were fleshed out and interesting. Not so much now.
    LOL! Oddly specific and pretty spot on.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

I have my faves, and I will read nearly anything they are in, but I will read other books depending on the tone. I am a "glass is half full" kind of person and I don't like really dark books. I won't read them even if my faves are in them unless the story revolves around one of my favorites. I had some faves in the latest Uncanny run but I couldn't stand the writer or the story line so I passed on the whole thing and only kept up on what was happening by reading posts on this forum. I'm not particularly hooked on either Gambit or Rogue but I read all of Mr. and Mrs. X because it was a fun read.