Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    It’s never stated who her parents were. Also why should it be a Greek god? If anything shouldn’t it be a little Egyptian? I rather have it be more open to other mythos.
    Incorrect. In her earliest origins Donna's father was unknown, but her mother was a teenage runaway named Dorothy Hinckley.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Incorrect. In her earliest origins Donna's father was unknown, but her mother was a teenage runaway named Dorothy Hinckley.
    It'd be a nice twist on Donna's NTT fire rescue origin story if Dorothy Hinckley, Donna's birth mother, was revealed to be an Amazon or, perhaps a Titan goddess herself, such as Phoebe's daughter. Not that I want to complicate things but, it would be a nice way to give Donna strong ties to the Amazons or even tie in the Titan's "seed" origins.

Spectacular Member

I'm amazed that DC had the opportunity with BOTH New 52 and Rebirth to simplify Donna's origin, but instead chose to make it even more of complicated than it already was.

I think it's really telling that the TITANS television series seems to be using her classic origin with the apartment fire. The version of characters that end up being used in mass media like movies and TV is a pretty good indicator of which version the company (WB? DC?) wants the general public to be aware of. What I don't understand is that if WB wants to use the classic version of Donna Troy on TV why DC at this point just digs their heels in and doubles down on complicating her history.

Somebody just needs to put their foot down and go, "She's Wonder Woman's adoptive sister." That's how I read her whenever she pops up in something I'm reading. She's Wonder Woman's sister. I don't have time to for a comprehensive Google search of all the various origins and backstories. I've always though it was funny that George Perez is the person who messed all this up with his Post-Crisis WW reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    I'm amazed that DC had the opportunity with BOTH New 52 and Rebirth to simplify Donna's origin, but instead chose to make it even more complicated than it already was.
    There's a LOT about Diana's origins that aren't "comic book tropes" and instead draw from literary and fantasy tropes. Donna Troy's various "darker" and edgier reinterpretations borrow from the deep well of comic book nonsense... she's a magical clone! she's a multidimensional construct! she's a brainwashed clone! she's a mindwiped Titan "seed"! she's a magical clone again!

Not that *my* ideas are any less comic booky. I just feel the lack of consideration for Donna Troy's place in the DCU is an undiagnosed cancer that degrades every new universe reboot.

So Donna has several origin. One where she was Diana’s mirror just. I would rather have that than new 52

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've always though it was funny that George Perez is the person who messed all this up with his Post-Crisis WW reboot.
    I don't think he deliberately did. The decision to reboot and set it within the present day, making Diana a rookie when Dick Grayson's generation were already in their 20s, was a truely bizarre choice that came from editorial. I can't understand what they were thinking, did they think nobody would buy it if it was set in the past? Diana really should have debuted around the same time as Superman and Batman so she could keep her JL status and Donna could make sense. I don't think either he or Wolfman were happy about what happened to Donna. Funnily enough, they did COIE to "fix" the DCU and one of their characters was the one most screwed up by it. Now, since Wonder Woman debuts after Robin traditionally and Donna is meant to be the same age as Dick, Diana being the one to rescue her from the fire wouldn't work. That's really the only tweaking needed, just have a goddess do it and bring her to Paradise Island.

I read Donna's profile in the Phil Jimenez omnibus last night. It was a painful experience, it was excruciatingly dumb. It is everything wrong with mainstream continuity getting out of control. A simple character like that shouldn't be that much of a headache. New 52 and Rebirth made her worse, but she's been a mess for decades. And I like the way Jimenez wrote her in his run, but it's in spite of all the tedious stuff going on with her origins. I just pretend she's her classic self when I read it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Maybe she spends a bit of time with Donna and gets to know her better after the fire? I mean, just because you adopt one kid doesn't mean you have to adopt them all.
    Yeah, it's not a particularly big deal to me. I do like the ... symmetry of Diana rescuing Donna from a shipwreck and Steve from a plane crash, but I'd be pretty happy if they utilised the "rescued from a fire" origin. The most important thing to me is that they Keep It Simple Stupid!

They've done Donna's character such a disservice by giving her increasingly convoluted and nonsensical "origin" stories. And not only has it damaged Donna, but it also damages Diana and the Wonder Family more broadly given that Donna and Diana barely interact and have no real connection, despite Donna once being Wonder Girl.

I know that Dick Grayson's Robin, Superboy and Supergirl have all had their origins tweaked over the years, but the core elements generally seem to remain the same (e.g. Dick's parents die, he's adopted by Bruce Wayne who feels sympathy for his fellow orphan and he becomes Robin). Much like every aspect of Wonder Woman's history and mythology, I don't know why Donna's origin is seen to be variable at the whim of each and every writer who ever uses the character.

Honestly, it would be easy if Donna was already recused when Diana was little. Maybe 5 years old.

Honestly, it would be easy if Donna was already recused when Diana was little. Maybe 5 years old.
    That doesn't make a ton of sense to me, given when Bruce and Clark discovered their protégés... it's okay that Diana was a young woman when she found/saved Donna and Donna had some formative years on Themyscira before Bruce became the guardian of Dick and/or Clark discovered Supergirl and other heroes interacted with their sidekicks that eventually propagated the Teen Titans.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 10-02-2019 at 06:47 AM.

How? Have Donna rescued by another Amazon secretly out in Man’s World before Diana? That would break Diana’s own origin.

I'm amazed that DC had the opportunity with BOTH New 52 and Rebirth to simplify Donna's origin, but instead chose to make it even more of complicated than it already was.

I think it's really telling that the TITANS television series seems to be using her classic origin with the apartment fire. The version of characters that end up being used in mass media like movies and TV is a pretty good indicator of which version the company (WB? DC?) wants the general public to be aware of. What I don't understand is that if WB wants to use the classic version of Donna Troy on TV why DC at this point just digs their heels in and doubles down on complicating her history.

Somebody just needs to put their foot down and go, "She's Wonder Woman's adoptive sister." That's how I read her whenever she pops up in something I'm reading. She's Wonder Woman's sister. I don't have time to for a comprehensive Google search of all the various origins and backstories. I've always though it was funny that George Perez is the person who messed all this up with his Post-Crisis WW reboot.
    It is kind of wild (and sad) that the amazing, heartfelt story of Who is Wonder Girl? in NTT thematically spawned all these atrocious origins for Donna Troy over time through a myriad of events and editorial factors.

To me, each one of them took them further away from who Donna is while trying to explain how Donna came to be. I’m so tired of Donna being Origin Girl with origins that take her further away from a primary relationship with Wonder Woman.

I’m to the point where I don’t care about her origin anymore, besides a take on the initial one. I’m more interested in returning her to the warm, empathetic heroine characterization she first received in NTT.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 10-02-2019 at 06:58 AM.

No that Diana need save her on the island. That Donna could have been Rescued by Diana. Just when she was a younger

Retired

Personally, I like the Diana finding Donna as a baby story--and I liked it back in the 1970s--because it means that Wonder Woman has been active for a long time. But some DC readers and some DC staff don't want Wonder Woman to precede Superman and Batman [of course, in the 1970s, it was really only Batman she would have superceded, because Clark was Superboy]. But then I also didn't mind it when Queen Hippolyta was Wonder Woman in WW II--yet other people were up in arms about that, because they thought it relegated Diana to a "legacy" character. Those squabbles over pecking orders aren't in my wheelhouse.

Well look how well in trying to replace characters goes

Having Donna as an infant when rescued by Diana would significantly age Steve and Etta. So I'd prefer for Donna to either be older or rescued by someone else.