Incredible Member

Default What do you want to see from DC and Marvel?

Since the first Marvel Saga has ended and DC finding their identity, what are some things that you would like to see from each company's slate of films and tv series coming up? This can be both animated and live action.

DC live action movies:
    1. More consistency across films in terms of quality.
    2. Better promotion
    3. Allow directors to keep pushing boundaries and innovation.
    4. Do not do a connected universe! What works for Marvel does not always work for DC and vice versa.
    5. Do more versus films like shazam vs black adam.

DC animated films:
    1. I want MORE than 3 films a year! Movies are great change nothing else.

DC live action tv series:
    1. Don't cancel good shows is all I ask for on this one.

Marvel live action movies:
    1. Take more risks with plots and storytelling. While the 22 films was a remarkable achievement, most films do not stand on their own very well and are ultimately forgettable.
    2. Cleanup plot hole issues. Endgame was not the only film with plot holes, at least half the films have very obvious ones.
    3. Invest more in villains. While I like DC villains more, Marvel does have some good ones as well and I hope they give them more attention and depth than they've gotten so far.

Marvel animated films:
    Dividing into two sections:

Marvel/Disney
    1. Fire everyone in the entire animation department. These films are awful. Go back and look at what made the 90s x-men and amazing spiderman so good and rebuild.

Marvel/Sony
    1. Keep up the good work. Spider verse was a very good film saw it 2 times in theaters.

Marvel live action tv series:
    1. Less shows like the runaways and more shows like daredevil and the punisher.
    2. Invest more story telling in the villians, it makes the plot a lot better when seeing the other side of the story. Kingpin is a perfect example, he brought so much to daredevil season 1 which is what hooked a lot of people.

Please don't bash anyone. Both properties have done good things and we should be respectful of each others opinions.

From DC, I'd like to see some kind of followup to the Fatal Five movie with that iteration of the League and/or something about Green Lantern Jessica Cruz. Would also like to see a Green Lantern theatrical film and Mr. Freeze be the main villain in a Batman movie (something closer to the source material then the previous take).

From Marvel, I'd like to see an X-23 solo movie, Kraven be the villain in a Spider-Man film, more Captain Marvel and Ant-Man films, and more Spider-Verse projects.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    From DC, I'd like to see some kind of followup to the Fatal Five movie with that iteration of the League and/or something about Green Lantern Jessica Cruz. Would also like to see a Green Lantern theatrical film and Mr. Freeze be the main villain in a Batman movie (something closer to the source material then the previous take).

From Marvel, I'd like to see an X-23 solo movie, Kraven be the villain in a Spider-Man film, more Captain Marvel and Ant-Man films, and more Spider-Verse projects.
    A follow up with Jessica Cruz would be really cool. The fatal five film really made me like her. As for a green lantern film, I'm all game as long as the green lantern is either John ,Jessica, or Guy, have never been the biggest Hal fan tbh.

I think you'll get your wish on more Captain Marvel and Ant-Man films. Captain Marvel is the new face of the franchise and Ant-Man should have at least one more film.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

It's really sad that people think DC cannot do a shared and connected universe, just because WB initially hired and gave too much creative power to poor and arrogant directors and money hungry producers.

Unlike Marvel, DC has EVERYTHING. All they had to do was take a step back, look at what mistakes they made with Man of Steel in comparison to what Marvel Studios did right with the MCU, and formulate a good plan with someone who gave a crap about these characters above anything else. They should have done that, instead of announcing Batman v Superman merely after MoS was out (I believe it was still in theatres when the announcement came) and rushing into a cinematic universe.

A DC cinematic universe could have rivalled the MCU without a doubt. They have iconic characters and stories and so much unique lore. All they had to do was respect it. Now people have WB have pushed this idea that they simply can't do a cinematic universe so hard that other people believe it and they may never attempt it again. A goddamn shame.

Anyway, on topic...

DC Films:
    1. Films with characters that haven't been overexposed like Batman (and related characters) and Superman. Let's have some fresh DC characters that don't fit those two archetypes for a change.
    2. A shared universe when they're ready to do it and understand how. Soft reboot it, leaving elements that work like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam (and I guess the Suicide Squad).
    3. Push the Suicide Squad aside. They don't offer anything unique (unless Gunn does some great work with them).
    4. More standalone projects like Joker.
    5. Actually give us an idea of what their film plan is.

DC Animation:
    1. Diversify the animation style between movies and series. I seriously dislike how Young Justice's art direction changed from season 1-2 and 3. It was a lot more unique back then.
    2. Animated movies or series based on other DC characters. These days DC animation just feels like Justice League and Batman only. It's boring.

DC TV series:
    1. Less Titans, more Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing. That is all.

Marvel Films (MCU):
    1. I'm hoping Phase 4 does try it's best to stick to the idea that each film is going to be completely different from what we've had before. Be a little bit more radical in the range of tones and filmmaking styles of the director and the genre of film they may be pulling from.
    2. Reduce unnecessary CGI/VFX. There was no need for certain moments in Ragnarok, Homecoming and Black Panther to look video game-y. I never want to see that again.
    3. Brighter, bolder colours. Aside from Ragnarok, Guardians and Black Panther a lot of these films are just quite dull looking.
    4. A darker corner of the universe consisting of Blade, Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, Moon Knight and so on.
    5. A cosmic, quiet, and introspective Silver Surfer film.

Marvel/Spider-Man films (Sony):
    1. I don't want those live action spinoffs. Make me want them.
    2. More Into the Spider-Verse please.

Marvel Animations:
    1. Just for once invest in good animation.

Marvel TV (Marvel Studios):
    1. A Black Panther spinoff TV show with Nakia or a past Black Panther (like T'Chaka).
    2. Mostly the same points as Marvel Films (MCU)

Marvel TV (Marvel Television):
    1. I have no opinion whatsoever.

From DC - Make a deal with Nickelodeon to get a live action Batman & the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film
    Just recast Cavill already and announce the next Superman film
    You own Scooby Doo Warner Brothers, do a live action Scooby Doo and Batman movie
    More Elseworld/Black Label out of continuity type movies

From Marvel - You and Sony patched **** up for one more movie, at least, why not make a Spider-Man movie that actually feels like a Spider-Man movie. I get you made a billion bucks on the last film so prolly won't change anything, but this Spidey just feels all wrong to me.

Mighty Member

From both I'd like to see more stand alone stories. It looks like DC is starting to realize this but a lot of Marvel's movies as of late feel like advertisements for another movie. I loved how some like Black Panther stood on their own, self contained, and had nothing to do with the Avengers or the wider MCU.

When it comes to animation... how about all of those cartoons in the late 2000's that got cancelled due to BULL. Marvel could definitely use some more DTV movies that will take advantage of not being on television, whether it be giving us the Surtur Arc that was started in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Age of Apocalypse in Wolverine and the X-Men, or even Spectacular Spider-Man arcs (I'm unsure of how that last one will work with Sony...but after Spider-Verse I think animated movies are on Sony's table). With DC, after Young Justice came back I would be ecstatic if they found ways to get Green Lantern and Beware the Batman SOMETHING.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    It's really sad that people think DC cannot do a shared and connected universe, just because WB initially hired and gave too much creative power to poor and arrogant directors and money hungry producers.

Unlike Marvel, DC has EVERYTHING. All they had to do was take a step back, look at what mistakes they made with Man of Steel in comparison to what Marvel Studios did right with the MCU, and formulate a good plan with someone who gave a crap about these characters above anything else. They should have done that, instead of announcing Batman v Superman merely after MoS was out (I believe it was still in theatres when the announcement came) and rushing into a cinematic universe.

A DC cinematic universe could have rivalled the MCU without a doubt. They have iconic characters and stories and so much unique lore. All they had to do was respect it. Now people have WB have pushed this idea that they simply can't do a cinematic universe so hard that other people believe it and they may never attempt it again. A goddamn shame.

Anyway, on topic...

DC Films:
    1. Films with characters that haven't been overexposed like Batman (and related characters) and Superman. Let's have some fresh DC characters that don't fit those two archetypes for a change.
    2. A shared universe when they're ready to do it and understand how. Soft reboot it, leaving elements that work like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam (and I guess the Suicide Squad).
    3. Push the Suicide Squad aside. They don't offer anything unique (unless Gunn does some great work with them).
    4. More standalone projects like Joker.
    5. Actually give us an idea of what their film plan is.

DC Animation:
    1. Diversify the animation style between movies and series. I seriously dislike how Young Justice's art direction changed from season 1-2 and 3. It was a lot more unique back then.
    2. Animated movies or series based on other DC characters. These days DC animation just feels like Justice League and Batman only. It's boring.

DC TV series:
    1. Less Titans, more Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing. That is all.

Marvel Films (MCU):
    1. I'm hoping Phase 4 does try it's best to stick to the idea that each film is going to be completely different from what we've had before. Be a little bit more radical in the range of tones and filmmaking styles of the director and the genre of film they may be pulling from.
    2. Reduce unnecessary CGI/VFX. There was no need for certain moments in Ragnarok, Homecoming and Black Panther to look video game-y. I never want to see that again.
    3. Brighter, bolder colours. Aside from Ragnarok, Guardians and Black Panther a lot of these films are just quite dull looking.
    4. A darker corner of the universe consisting of Blade, Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, Moon Knight and so on.
    5. A cosmic, quiet, and introspective Silver Surfer film.

Marvel/Spider-Man films (Sony):
    1. I don't want those live action spinoffs. Make me want them.
    2. More Into the Spider-Verse please.

Marvel Animations:
    1. Just for once invest in good animation.

Marvel TV (Marvel Studios):
    1. A Black Panther spinoff TV show with Nakia or a past Black Panther (like T'Chaka).
    2. Mostly the same points as Marvel Films (MCU)

Marvel TV (Marvel Television):
    1. I have no opinion whatsoever.

The majority of people probably do think that DC/Warner shouldn't do a connected universe right now. As a DC fan, we know they can but we also have to realize that DC is different than Marvel and it wasn't smart to be a copycat with the universe direction without proper planning. We see first hand that DC is viewed and graded differently than Marvel and rightfully so.

DC has redefined the genre multiple times with their films and has been critically acclaimed for good movies not just good comic book movies. Marvel is now having success and they are graded and viewed differently but that will change over time too. For example, when they reboot iron man the public's opinion of the new iteration will be more critical than RDJ because his iteration was well received. The grading gets harder the more times something is done well.

Let's face it, if DC put out films using the Marvel formula (I'm talking goofy, humorous, simple, straightforward plotline) those films would get ripped to shreds by fans and critics because we've seen what can be done with these characters and storylines. DC/Warner biggest failure was not realizing they needed to come correct with the universe or not come at all. Now back to topic.

I would like to see Marvel be bolder with their characters because they can BUT disney. Enough said.

Definitely need more spiderverse!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    From both I'd like to see more stand alone stories. It looks like DC is starting to realize this but a lot of Marvel's movies as of late feel like advertisements for another movie. I loved how some like Black Panther stood on their own, self contained, and had nothing to do with the Avengers or the wider MCU.

When it comes to animation... how about all of those cartoons in the late 2000's that got cancelled due to BULL. Marvel could definitely use some more DTV movies that will take advantage of not being on television, whether it be giving us the Surtur Arc that was started in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Age of Apocalypse in Wolverine and the X-Men, or even Spectacular Spider-Man arcs (I'm unsure of how that last one will work with Sony...but after Spider-Verse I think animated movies are on Sony's table). With DC, after Young Justice came back I would be ecstatic if they found ways to get Green Lantern and Beware the Batman SOMETHING.
    I do agree that I would like to see Marvel give a lot more to their single character stories because I agree very few of their films stand on their own well, outside of Iron Man 1 black panther, and captain America 2 they did put more into the universe than the film itself.

Marvel: Bring back the good parts of the Netflix shows and better integrate them into the MCU.

I read a story today that the third Spiderman movie may bring in Charlie Cox from the Nextflix Daredevil series to be his lawyer. I really hope this is true both for how awesome it would be and that it would signal a season IV of DD is possible on Disney plus.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Marvel: Bring back the good parts of the Netflix shows and better integrate them into the MCU.

I read a story today that the third Spiderman movie may bring in Charlie Cox from the Nextflix Daredevil series to be his lawyer. I really hope this is true both for how awesome it would be and that it would signal a season IV of DD is possible on Disney plus.
    I loved Cox as Matt but if they do bring him in dont mention anything from the Netflix shows. Reboot but bring over the actors(Bernthal,Cox, and De'nfario are the only ones id fight for). Colter was good in the role. But some of the stuff they did with the character I'd rather be redone with a film budget behind it. Same with danny.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I loved Cox as Matt but if they do bring him in dont mention anything from the Netflix shows. Reboot but bring over the actors(Bernthal,Cox, and De'nfario are the only ones id fight for). Colter was good in the role. But some of the stuff they did with the character I'd rather be redone with a film budget behind it. Same with danny.
    Cox was a great daredevil (a mountain above Ben A) and D' Onofrio was freaking amazing as kingpin! Would love to see him play the role in a spiderman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Why reboot Daredevil? IMO its the best overall comic book TV series of all time. I'd put season one of Jessica Jones up there with it but the other two seasons of Jessica were good but not great. And its better to forget Cage or Iron Fist. Its why I said bring back the good parts which is everything about Daredevil, most everything about Jessica, Mike Colter as Luke Cage as it was horrific writing, and the supporting cast that drug his show down. I imagine Punisher is too hyper violent for Disney's sensibilities.

Incredible Member

Why reboot Daredevil? IMO its the best overall comic book TV series of all time. I'd put season one of Jessica Jones up there with it but the other two seasons of Jessica were good but not great. And its better to forget Cage or Iron Fist. Its why I said bring back the good parts which is everything about Daredevil, most everything about Jessica, Mike Colter as Luke Cage as it was horrific writing, and the supporting cast that drug his show down. I imagine Punisher is too hyper violent for Disney's sensibilities.
    The only way they don't reboot is if they move the show to the new Fox umbrella. Doing that also makes room for the punisher to be revived.

Becusee all the Hand stuff was awful. And because your working with a tv budget DD didnt seem like that large of a hero. So seeing him hanging with Spidey all of a sudden would be jarring. Keep the actors that were good but let Fegie and the team craft the storys. Also Feigie is never gonna recognize anything from soemthing he didnt make or have any involvement in. Hes ignored AoS at every turn. Jarvis was as close as we got to Feigie recognizing something that wasnt his work that I can recall