Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What app do you use for digital comics ?

Hi guys, after 20+ years of collecting paper comics I think I will make the move to digital comics. I'll still get incentives and variant covers for my collection, but for regular issues, I'll go the digital way for numerous reasons.
    So the only app I've ever tried was comixology. It was ok, I had the android version and it was missing a few cool features his IOS counter part had, which was a shame.
    I looked around on the internet, everything else seems subpar compared to comixolgy... but perhaps some of you are using other great apps that I don't know about and can help me make a decision.
    Let me know! Thanks peeps.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

For buying individual issues from multiple publishers, Comixology is the only real option. Some companies have their own apps, or let you buy DRM free digital versions, but apps for individual publishers are limited in options, and if you just buy the DRM free digital copies you have to find your own reading apps. I use ComicFlow on my iPad for anything I get from a Humble Bundle, but I wish it had a few more options. It can't really display manga properly.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    Hi guys, after 20+ years of collecting paper comics I think I will make the move to digital comics. I'll still get incentives and variant covers for my collection, but for regular issues, I'll go the digital way for numerous reasons.
    So the only app I've ever tried was comixology. It was ok, I had the android version and it was missing a few cool features his IOS counter part had, which was a shame.
    I looked around on the internet, everything else seems subpar compared to comixolgy... but perhaps some of you are using other great apps that I don't know about and can help me make a decision.
    Let me know! Thanks peeps.
    Your working too hard with that Comixology site -- I've been digital for quite awhile now -- I simply download my books (new and old alike) and read them using Sumatra PDF v3.1.2 64 bit.

Not sure how Sumatra works... doesn't seem like you can download comics directly from it, looks more an hassle to download comics from different places and then put them on there, no ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Your working too hard with that Comixology site -- I've been digital for quite awhile now -- I simply download my books (new and old alike) and read them using Sumatra PDF v3.1.2 64 bit.
    Where do you download your comics from?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    For buying individual issues from multiple publishers, Comixology is the only real option. Some companies have their own apps, or let you buy DRM free digital versions, but apps for individual publishers are limited in options, and if you just buy the DRM free digital copies you have to find your own reading apps. I use ComicFlow on my iPad for anything I get from a Humble Bundle, but I wish it had a few more options. It can't really display manga properly.
    I live in Canada so I am stuck with Marvel Unlimited and the Marvel Comics app for the ones I want to buy. If I bothered to I could get DC comics on Amazon.ca.

Hopefully Comixology becomes available in Canada someday!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I live in Canada so I am stuck with Marvel Unlimited and the Marvel Comics app for the ones I want to buy. If I bothered to I could get DC comics on Amazon.ca.

It has been in Canada- for about as long as it's been available in the states. We don't have access to Comixology Unlimited, but as far as I know there has never been any limits to the store.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Comixology, by far.
    Except for DC, which I now use DC Universe for, because it uses Comixology to supply its content.

With Comixology owned by Amazon, it's longevity is almost assured, and almost all non-DC and non-Marvel comics come with DRM-free downloadable copies that can be read however you wish.

I also use Hoopla, which is provided free through my local library.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post

It is, though? Not Unlimited, but you can buy stuff on it easily enough. Either through the website or Amazon, if you link your Amazon and Comixology accounts, any comics you buy the kindle version of on Amazon that have a counterpart on Comixology will show up in your Comixology account, which is nice. I prefer sticking with Comixology for that reason, keeps everything centered in one spot. not to mention its Amazon, so not like it will go under and disappear any time soon, and if they do shutter Comixology as its own thing, I will still have them on Kindle. Marvel Unlimited for catching up on old stuff, Comixology/Amazon for stuff I want to actually own.

To the OP there are other comics readers out there, but no storefronts that can compete with Comixology, really. Even a lot of the publisher storefronts are just skins for Comixology, so may as well go to the source to keep the stuff from different publishers together. A lot of the other readers you see in the app stores are just for reading .cbr or .cbz files that you already own, and which some publishers offer (Dark Horse is one) but mostly they are for... Comics obtained in a less than legal fashion. And Comixology is still the better reader and library manager, anyway.
    Last edited by Raye; 10-01-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Alright. Like I said I was looking at different options since I will get the android version and it was not as complete as the IOS version.
    P.S. Whats the unlimited thing from comixology ?

I use the Marvel comics app for my Galaxy Tab A.

I love it.

Alright. Like I said I was looking at different options since I will get the android version and it was not as complete as the IOS version.
    P.S. Whats the unlimited thing from comixology ?
    Comixology Unlimited is their subscription service. For a recurring cost you have access to a huge library of comics, but with few exceptions they're not new releases. They're always rotating what's available, adding series and whatnot. But they wait around six months after initially publication before they do so. I'm told it's a good deal if you don't care about staying immediately current with what you're reading, it's only available in the States so I wouldn't have personal experience with it.

Oh ok. Thanks. And you guys mostly use comixology on android or IOS ?

Android here.
    I have a hand me down iPad that's too old, and I have a newer iPhone but I don't like the small screen of a phone for reading.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Android on my Phone (Smart Panels are more useful than some would think), iOS on my iPad (It was a gift, and functions well enough).