Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If Xenos are silicone based why to the nest inside carbon based lifeforms

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    If Xenos are silicone based why to the nest inside carbon based lifeforms
    Hard to grow a parasite in a rock.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Mighty Member

based on the original film... I assumed that the Xenomorph did, in fact, devour some of it's victims. unless we're supposed to believe that they simply magically ignore the laws of physics and transform from the size of a jumbo shrimp to a seven-foot tall humanoid figure in the space of a day or so without eating anything.

some people consider the 'producer' cut of Alien to be cannon-- but I got the impression that Ridley Scott said that the theatrical version was the film he wanted to make. and it's heavily implied that the alien was eating people, and hence it's rapid and enormous growth.

if you consider the fact that Xenomorphs do need to eat to grow and that molting is how they produce all of that nesting material... it makes far more sense than... the deranged fanboy logic that says that they don't need to eat, or breathe... or have any basic needs like just about every other predatory life form.

I mean, even the Thing has problems with extreme cold and extreme heat... and it still feeds off of people in it's own way.

the acid blood could realistically 10-count the Thing in a normal human body. but what's more likely is that if the Xenomorph were gestating inside of a human infested with the Thing there would be no struggle since the Thing would lay low and not attack a being it can't hurt... or, if it can infect it, it would have already infected the Xeno prior to it bursting out of the human's chest.

eh, this was obviously inspire by how fun the scene would be to watch on the silver screen... but it sorta doesn't make much sense when you think about the world-building rules of both films.

I know people will disagree with me.... but conventional wisdom, based on the original theatrical release of "Alien" suggests that Xenomorphs do eat things. it would be easy to infer that if they never found Dallas' body that he was eaten.

I'm cool with them eating stuff. In one of the (possibly non canon) comics, it shows that the chestbusters tend to hang around whatever they've burst from and feed on it for 24 hours or so, unless frightened away by something.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    The Dog(or bovine, depending on which version of the movie)Xenomorph from the third movie was explicitly seen eating the prisoners.
    I've never eaten anyone, prisoner or otherwise. And I'm not a xenomorph!
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    based on the original film... I assumed that the Xenomorph did, in fact, devour some of it's victims. unless we're supposed to believe that they simply magically ignore the laws of physics and transform from the size of a jumbo shrimp to a seven-foot tall humanoid figure in the space of a day or so without eating anything.

some people consider the 'producer' cut of Alien to be cannon-- but I got the impression that Ridley Scott said that the theatrical version was the film he wanted to make. and it's heavily implied that the alien was eating people, and hence it's rapid and enormous growth.

if you consider the fact that Xenomorphs do need to eat to grow and that molting is how they produce all of that nesting material... it makes far more sense than... the deranged fanboy logic that says that they don't need to eat, or breathe... or have any basic needs like just about every other predatory life form.

I mean, even the Thing has problems with extreme cold and extreme heat... and it still feeds off of people in it's own way.

the acid blood could realistically 10-count the Thing in a normal human body. but what's more likely is that if the Xenomorph were gestating inside of a human infested with the Thing there would be no struggle since the Thing would lay low and not attack a being it can't hurt... or, if it can infect it, it would have already infected the Xeno prior to it bursting out of the human's chest.

eh, this was obviously inspire by how fun the scene would be to watch on the silver screen... but it sorta doesn't make much sense when you think about the world-building rules of both films.

I know people will disagree with me.... but conventional wisdom, based on the original theatrical release of "Alien" suggests that Xenomorphs do eat things. it would be easy to infer that if they never found Dallas' body that he was eaten.
    Maybe I'm assuming too much, but if they didn't need to eat (or do many other biological functions really) I find it hard to believe that they would be so aggressive. Why attack and kill other beings that don't even know you're there? Just hide and wait to move where you want.

One of the few ways to kill a Thing would be molecular acid. If we're talking Carpenter thing, it's a plastic cell colony of varying degrees of intelligence.

That said, if you believe even a small particle of a Thing is enough to infect someone, it would surely be able to assimilate several xenomorphs and before long would have assimilated the entire colony. Plus, killing the Thing requires the colony to weaken itself, and as we saw from fire, even a splash of acid won't be enough to stop the Thing. Thing wins and now gets immune to acid tissue in its Rolodex of creature features.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

'Molecular' acid?

Is that what it's called?

Ugh.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    'Molecular' acid?

Is that what it's called?

Ugh.
    No, it's just a way of saying acid molecules, though I don't think it's a scientifically accurate one so I shouldn't have used it.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-02-2019 at 11:13 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

So acid, then. ^_^

Was just wondering if that's how the movies and/or supplemental media refers to the acid within the xenomorphs. Thank you for the clarification.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So acid, then. ^_^

Was just wondering if that's how the movies and/or supplemental media refers to the acid within the xenomorphs. Thank you for the clarification.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see it used there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    One of the few ways to kill a Thing would be molecular acid. If we're talking Carpenter thing, it's a plastic cell colony of varying degrees of intelligence.

That said, if you believe even a small particle of a Thing is enough to infect someone, it would surely be able to assimilate several xenomorphs and before long would have assimilated the entire colony. Plus, killing the Thing requires the colony to weaken itself, and as we saw from fire, even a splash of acid won't be enough to stop the Thing. Thing wins and now gets immune to acid tissue in its Rolodex of creature features.
    Again, are Xenomorphs silicone based life forms or not?

If we've only seen it infect carbon based life as we know it that doesn't also happen to have acid blood and its own mutagenic properties, I feel it's a bit of a stretch to handwave it being capable of such.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Again, are Xenomorphs silicone based life forms or not?

If we've only seen it infect carbon based life as we know it that doesn't also happen to have acid blood and its own mutagenic properties, I feel it's a bit of a stretch to handwave it being capable of such.
    Silicon.

Just cuz I made the same mistake earlier, and hey turns out there's a difference >_>
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Silicon.

Just cuz I made the same mistake earlier, and hey turns out there's a difference >_>
    Carbon or silicon, I'd say Carpenter'a thing is more than capable of mimicking it. It's basically it's whole thing. I mean, if it can make a flower from an alien planet out of dog tongues and teeth, I'm not thinking silicon is gonna slow it down. It needn't make any biological sense as we understand it.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-02-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Carbon or silicon, I'd say Carpenter'a thing is more than capable of mimicking it. It's basically it's whole thing. I mean, if it can make a flower from an alien planet out of dog tongues and teeth, I'm not thinking silicon is gonna slow it down. It needn't make any biological sense as we understand it.
    A flower from a tongue is still carbon based to carbon based.

In the 2011 prequel, the Thing is shown to spit out metal fillings and any other inorganic material iirc. Been a while since I've seen that film.

Besides, it's not just it being silicon (hah!) that will be challenging. The acid blood and mutagenic nature of Xenomorphs suggest a hostile environment for any foreign invaders.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 10-02-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    - big_adventure