All-New Member

Default Flaming Carrot Omnibus

This may be entirely the wrong first impression to create with my first post on a message board I have not yet gotten to know.

I work third shift. Yesterday, Monday, morning when I finished my shift, I decided to stay awake during the daytime for a bit and specifically to go pick up my pulls and Previews orders at the comic store.

When I got there one of the books I had waiting for me was the copy of Flaming Carrot Omnibus that I had pre-ordered.

I went to check out an Indian buffet that was new to me for lunch and started reading FC. I got through the text introduction by Kevin Eastman and as far as the panel of Foggy Face in the first issue, and felt the need to put it aside for a moment to read something a little less heady.

Then I went to the mall and looked around at Barnes & Noble for a bit. Eventually I decided to pick up a copy of Italo Calvino's book, If On a Winter's Night a Traveler. I'd been looking for this book for maybe a couple of years, but hadn't had luck at the used bookstores and thrift stores that are my first resort for prose fiction. I'm a fan of a podcast called A Thousand Maybe Worlds: it's a ratings/review/discussion podcast dedicated to the old time radio science fiction show X Minus One. On the episode dedicated to "Jaywalker", which they regarded as a stinker of an episode of X Minus One; one of the hosts, Richard, decided to do a tangential lecture on second-person narration and mentioned If On a Winter's Night a Traveler, which started me on that quest.

On the bus ride home, I started reading If On a Winter's Night a Traveler. It's a book about books and the experience of reading. It's heady and surreal. My sleepless addled brain wanted to connect my purchase of these two works in a deeper and more profound way than is probably merited. They both seem to be kind of surreal and in some ways a meta-commentary on the medium in which they exist. Maybe there's something there. Maybe I was just sleep deprived by then.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Sticking with the thread title, Flammin Carrot Omnibus, I'll say that as a fan I'm glad to have it.
    The downside is that it is not sequential but since he is an uber niche character having any collected material is something any fan of FC should buy.
    Ideally it would encourage future collections.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

More importantly, how was the new Indian buffet???
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post
    This may be entirely the wrong first impression to create with my first post on a message board I have not yet gotten to know.

I work third shift. Yesterday, Monday, morning when I finished my shift, I decided to stay awake during the daytime for a bit and specifically to go pick up my pulls and Previews orders at the comic store.

When I got there one of the books I had waiting for me was the copy of Flaming Carrot Omnibus that I had pre-ordered.

I went to check out an Indian buffet that was new to me for lunch and started reading FC. I got through the text introduction by Kevin Eastman and as far as the panel of Foggy Face in the first issue, and felt the need to put it aside for a moment to read something a little less heady.

Then I went to the mall and looked around at Barnes & Noble for a bit. Eventually I decided to pick up a copy of Italo Calvino's book, If On a Winter's Night a Traveler. I'd been looking for this book for maybe a couple of years, but hadn't had luck at the used bookstores and thrift stores that are my first resort for prose fiction. I'm a fan of a podcast called A Thousand Maybe Worlds: it's a ratings/review/discussion podcast dedicated to the old time radio science fiction show X Minus One. On the episode dedicated to "Jaywalker", which they regarded as a stinker of an episode of X Minus One; one of the hosts, Richard, decided to do a tangential lecture on second-person narration and mentioned If On a Winter's Night a Traveler, which started me on that quest.

On the bus ride home, I started reading If On a Winter's Night a Traveler. It's a book about books and the experience of reading. It's heady and surreal. My sleepless addled brain wanted to connect my purchase of these two works in a deeper and more profound way than is probably merited. They both seem to be kind of surreal and in some ways a meta-commentary on the medium in which they exist. Maybe there's something there. Maybe I was just sleep deprived by then.
    Coincidently, I started to read If On a Winter's... yesterday! I pick up one copy from my university library. Intriguing stuff so far!
    But about the Flaming Carrot, do you guys recommend this? One of the weirdest stuff I heard about haha

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

If you like or appreciate the weird and abstract then, YES, I'd recommend Flamming Carrot.
    I'm not even sure the best comparison but I'm going to try: think The Tick or Scud: The Disposable Assassin
    Now if those references aren't something you have reference for I'm not sure how else to put you on the path of just how abstract FC plays.
    He's probably the most "regular" in this collection with the TMNT issues.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    More importantly, how was the new Indian buffet???
    I liked it. It was a different style of Indian cuisine than the other Indian restaurants I frequent more often. I was also so tired and out of it already that I mistook raita (a savory yogurt sauce that had onions in it) for kheer (sweet rice pudding), even though it was clearly labelled; I just forgot that I knew the word kheer.

Quote Originally Posted by seusilva View Post
    Coincidently, I started to read If On a Winter's... yesterday! I pick up one copy from my university library. Intriguing stuff so far!
    But about the Flaming Carrot, do you guys recommend this? One of the weirdest stuff I heard about haha
    I definitely do recommend Flaming Carrot. He's a guy who read so many comics that he decided to be a superhero. He wears a giant carrot mask and swim flippers. Like Bat-Man, he has no actual super powers. Like The Punisher, he is willing to just shoot the bad guys. Like Dick Tracy, he has a colorful rogues gallery of absurd villains. Like every significant 80s independent, he has a TMNT connection.
    Last edited by Khyron; 10-07-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Amazing Member

You could at least wear the hat.