Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    The thing that's really bringing this one down for me is the lack of actual costumes. Harley looks like Harley but everyone else is barely or not at all identifiable as their character, which I don't get since they don't seem to going a serious/grounded tone that much.
    Yeah, I thought the no costume look went out with the original X-Men flicks

The trailer does not excite me, but if it gets good reviews I might check it out, I'm just not a huge Harley fan.
    Also Cass doesn't seem to be Cass, the interpretation looks weird, maybe she is more herself in the actual film as a whole, but it doesn't look like it.

For people who are excited, good for them, I hope they enjoy it.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Harley being the central figure in the new film universe is pretty funny. I heard WB is already doing Gotham City Sirens next.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Yeah...

/10char

the trailer is disappointing. I was afraid of this. harley quinn is becoming what Jennifer lawerence was to the xmen films and it might be worse. also the tone feels like suicide squad light? I am not sure what it wants to be,

But all the focus been on Harley is way too much. this is not birds of prey. this is birds of prey

maybe studios just can help but always make the same mistakes

Thanks DCEU but I will just wait for Rob Pattinson's Batman and see what your black label films does next after the Joker.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 10-01-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Well Fox turned Mystique in to Storm's role model/hero lol! I guess they're following Fox trajectory in turning a whole team into the sidekick of an antihero/villain
    Darm.

I just said the exact same thing and I did not even read your post first. Thank goodness us honest fans can smell when a studio is making mistakes and call their **** out. this might even be worse than jlaw's mystique because there was still Michael Fassbender and James Mcavoy to balance out Jennifer Lawrence, there is no balance here, its just Maggie Robbie and the Harley Quinn character.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 10-01-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    the trailer is disappointing. I was afraid of this. harley quinn is becoming what Jennifer lawerence was to the xmen films and it might be worse. also the tone feels like suicide squad light? I am not sure what it wants to be,

But all the focus been on Harley is way too much. this is not birds of prey. this is birds of prey

maybe studios just can help but always make the same mistakes

Thanks DCEU but I will just wait for Rob Pattinson's Batman and see what your black label films does next after the Joker.
    You realize that is not an actual thing right?

Just an idea that a director proposed.

Harley Quinn ft. Leather Girls

Why are people complaining the name of the movie is Birds of Prey:and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn. It is not like they are hiding it is heavily Harley Quinn focus. And Harley Quinn is easily DC biggest female character and I say that knowing that Wonder Woman and Catwoman exists(Fight me). This is no brainer stuff one of biggest characters in DC comics Harley Quinn and one biggest female actors right now Margot Robbie. Let the first movie be carried by Harley Quinn that is just smart marketing. If you have star power use it and beside this movie got green light and fast tracked because of Robbie/Harley Quinn stop complaining like this Birds of Prey/Gotham Sirens was going to made otherwise in world where Justice League and BVS under performed how many other dead project or life support projects are around for DC Superman 2, Nightwing, Green Lantern Corps, Batgirl, Leto Joker, Cyborg, Booster Gold,etc. Robbie wanted this movie made and she has enough pull to get it made.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-02-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

Reynolds' Deadpool destroys Robbie's Harley Quinn. Can't believe all the movies she's going to star in for the DCEU. Overrated IMO. Like the actress, just don't think her movie character has that appeal to the GA. Again I know her merch sells but just don't think the movie version is that popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Reynolds' Deadpool destroys Robbie's Harley Quinn. Can't believe all the movies she's going to star in for the DCEU. Overrated IMO. Like the actress, just don't think her movie character has that appeal to the GA. Again I know her merch sells but just don't think the movie version is that popular.
    Uhmm If I had dollar for everytime I saw person in Harley Quinn cosplay that look like movie version, It would be a surprising amount of money. The movie version is popular as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Why are people complaining the name of the movie is Birds of Prey:and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn. It is not like they are hiding it is heavily Harley Quinn focus. And Harley Quinn is easily DC biggest female character and I say that knowing that Wonder Woman and Catwoman exists(Fight me). This is no brainer stuff one of biggest characters in DC comics Harley Quinn and one biggest female actors right now Margot Robbie. Let the first movie be carried by Harley Quinn that is just smart marketing. If you have star power use it and beside this movie got green light and fast tracked because of Robbie/Harley Quinn stop complaining like this Birds of Prey/Gotham Sirens was going to made otherwise in world where Justice League and BVS under performed how many other dead project or life support projects are around for DC Superman 2, Nightwing, Green Lantern Corps, Batgirl, Leto Joker, Cyborg, Booster Gold,etc. Robbie wanted this movie made and she has enough pull to get it made.
    Birds of Prey has a storied history and a devoted following, and many good stories and elements they could use, but it takes a complete backseat just to give Harley Quinn a supporting cast to bounce off of. It's one that she isn't even a founding member in the comics, or really, a member, which sounds bad enough, but it's another when they're not even the focus at all. Then we have the title Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), which is totally ridiculous.

All the posters we've seen are entirely about Harley. Only one poster has the other cast members in it, and they're just little bits with Harley still the focus of the shot (you know the one). Some people have defended this, by saying Margot Robbie is enthusiastic about it and helped get the movie made as a producer, as if it's justified. For those who think it's alright, consider the hypothetical scenario below:

The X-Men franchise is joining the MCU. Now, imagine they announce a New Mutants movie reboot, starring the classic cast fans know and love like Magik, Sunspot, Cannonball, Mirage, Wolfsbane, Magma, Cypher, and Warlock. Oh, but they decide that the New Mutants themselves aren't enough to hold the movie, so you know what they do?

They throw in Deadpool.

And all the marketing and focus is solely on Deadpool, with little if any care given to the New Mutants. The movie is even called The New Mutants (and the Amazing Shenanigans of One Wade Wilson). All the others are only there to give Deadpool a supporting cast to bounce off of, and may not even be proper representations of the characters. Here's the thing: Ryan Reynolds is enthusiastic about it, and he helped get the movie made as a producer. Would this be justified?

That's the main issue. They call it Birds of Prey, they feature beloved characters, but it's all about Harley. They should've just made a Harley Quinn solo movie, because that's what this really is.

I posted this earlier and why Harley Quinn getting promoted over the Birds of Prey in the movie titled after them is problematic. Do let me know your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Birds of Prey has a storied history and a devoted following, and many good stories and elements they could use, but it takes a complete backseat just to give Harley Quinn a supporting cast to bounce off of. It's one that she isn't even a founding member in the comics, or really, a member, which sounds bad enough, but it's another when they're not even the focus at all. Then we have the title Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), which is totally ridiculous.

All the posters we've seen are entirely about Harley. Only one poster has the other cast members in it, and they're just little bits with Harley still the focus of the shot (you know the one). Some people have defended this, by saying Margot Robbie is enthusiastic about it and helped get the movie made as a producer, as if it's justified. For those who think it's alright, consider the hypothetical scenario below:

The X-Men franchise is joining the MCU. Now, imagine they announce a New Mutants movie reboot, starring the classic cast fans know and love like Magik, Sunspot, Cannonball, Mirage, Wolfsbane, Magma, Cypher, and Warlock. Oh, but they decide that the New Mutants themselves aren't enough to hold the movie, so you know what they do?

They throw in Deadpool.

And all the marketing and focus is solely on Deadpool, with little if any care given to the New Mutants. The movie is even called The New Mutants (and the Amazing Shenanigans of One Wade Wilson). All the others are only there to give Deadpool a supporting cast to bounce off of, and may not even be proper representations of the characters. Here's the thing: Ryan Reynolds is enthusiastic about it, and he helped get the movie made as a producer. Would this be justified?

That's the main issue. They call it Birds of Prey, they feature beloved characters, but it's all about Harley. They should've just made a Harley Quinn solo movie, because that's what this really is.

I posted this earlier and why Harley Quinn getting promoted over the Birds of Prey in the movie titled after them is problematic. Do let me know your thoughts.
    We don't have to imagine ,Stuff like this has happened in comics Spiderman and the X-men, Wolverine and the X-men, Batman and the Outsiders, Deadpool and X-force. People are tripping when you look at big picture they are using the bigger character to attract a audience who would see birds of prey ignore it. We are comics fans here tomorrow DC can relaunch Birds of Prey use complete new characters never used before and wouldn't that be Birds of Prey? What if then they greenlight a movie from that version wouldn't that have been okay? OR what about Deadpool they use "X-force" it was a mix and match parts of X-force Shatterstar and Domino are original members, Bedlam came along after, Zeitgeist was from the Mike Allred run with different characters, Vanisher was from the Yost run with different characters. Should we be mad that they didn't use the real team? Or that Deadpool formed the team? You guys want to make a big deal about fine but this standard comic book stuff imo.

I am more lenient with properties straying away from the source, When source has universe has already strayed away from the concept. I expected Fox X-men to be direct translation of source material because they had the freedom and the ability to do exactly the story. I don't expect the MCU X-men to be directly translation of the comics because MCU is clear different story/world from the comics and they can't tell the same story with the same history. Birds of Prey is clearly that it meant to be different because it can't be the comics. Cass is different, Black Canary is different. I am pretty sure they are going tweak stuff away from Suicide Squad and older Snyder DCEU. This is clearly not meant to be version of Birds of Prey you guys want this is basically Alternate Universe. You make an small argument for them going with AU take instead of the trying to get it as much like the original possible take I get that gripe. But this like people getting mad that Injustice Superman or Red Son Superman is "evil". You clearly understand this isn't trying for a second to be your universe and your birds of prey ,this is a different interpretation.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-02-2019 at 02:30 AM.

Let's play a short game of "Where's Waldo?"

Pretty clearly in the cast list at the end, they show Ali Wong's name.

Was she in the trailer, and I just completely missed it?

Edit: Never mind. She apparently has an "Undisclosed" role as of now.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 10-02-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Man, this is the biggest wasted opportunity for Cass ever. Why is it what she spends like 15+ years getting shafted in the media because of editor agendas, and then when she does get what could be a break by starring in a movie, she just becomes an unrecognizable sidekick to Harley?

Cass should a little less like that, and a little more like this...

The main issue is that Birds of Prey is a series that could be good without Harley. You could replace Harley with Barbara as Oracle, make the others more recognizable, and closer to the source, and it'd all fit. Marvel can make Guardians of the Galaxy work, and if DC had that talent, Birds of Prey could be excellent. Instead, it's just "Harley" and the others are only there to support her, and aren't even recognizable as their characters apart from Huntress who somehow got comparatively lucky.