Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Why are people complaining the name of the movie is Birds of Prey:and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn. It is not like they are hiding it is heavily Harley Quinn focus. And Harley Quinn is easily DC biggest female character and I say that knowing that Wonder Woman and Catwoman exists(Fight me). This is no brainer stuff one of biggest characters in DC comics Harley Quinn and one biggest female actors right now Margot Robbie. Let the first movie be carried by Harley Quinn that is just smart marketing. If you have star power use it and beside this movie got green light and fast tracked because of Robbie/Harley Quinn stop complaining like this Birds of Prey/Gotham Sirens was going to made otherwise in world where Justice League and BVS under performed how many other dead project or life support projects are around for DC Superman 2, Nightwing, Green Lantern Corps, Batgirl, Leto Joker, Cyborg, Booster Gold,etc. Robbie wanted this movie made and she has enough pull to get it made.
    We're complaining because characters we like are being thrown under the bus, or likely wimpified, for the sake of Harley.

Now that Ant-Man, Aquaman and Guardians have proven to be successes, I think we can do away with the fallacy that comic book movies require a 'big name', both in character and actor, to succeed.

This seems like Suicide Squad 2.0, relying on both to the determent of the rest of the cast

Can another company please purchase DC from Warner Brothers? This looks terrible.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

It's not WB itself that's at fault, because it seems DC can do just fine in anything but their shared universe on film. Just look at their animation, video games, live-action TV shows, and out-of-continuity stories. DCEU suffers from being made by corporate suits, rather than people passionate or knowledgeable of the source like Marvel.

Looking at the trailer, I get no idea on what the movie wants to be. Is it a girl gang bonding movie? A self-aware lampooning movie? A violent action movie? Chicago with superheroes?

Harley Quinn can be a great character in the right hands, but what I get here is her at her least interesting.

The scene where Harley cuts off her hair has power, but then the narration breaks the mood, and since the Joker isn't in the movie I doubt it will be a defining moment of the story. Also, I don't understand why they won't give Black Canary a short jacket. I can understand getting rid of the fishnets, but her jacket is nearly as much of a signature garment for her.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    We're complaining because characters we like are being thrown under the bus, or likely wimpified, for the sake of Harley.

Now that Ant-Man, Aquaman and Guardians have proven to be successes, I think we can do away with the fallacy that comic book movies require a 'big name', both in character and actor, to succeed.

This seems like Suicide Squad 2.0, relying on both to the determent of the rest of the cast
    Imagine if Disney decided to co-star Iron Man in Ant-Man, GOTG, Black Panther, or Captain Marvel? Wonder Woman to co-star with Aquaman?

No 'big name' is needed to propel Birds of Prey.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Uhmm If I had dollar for everytime I saw person in Harley Quinn cosplay that look like movie version, It would be a surprising amount of money. The movie version is popular as well.
    Power Rangers merch sells lots. The movie was 'meh' in terms of box office success. If Robbie's HQ is so widely 'hot' don't understand why WB sat on their ass for 4 years only to pump out a bunch of movies with her. It will be interesting to see how her standalone movie does in February.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Looking at the trailer, I get no idea on what the movie wants to be. Is it a girl gang bonding movie? A self-aware lampooning movie? A violent action movie? Chicago with superheroes?

Harley Quinn can be a great character in the right hands, but what I get here is her at her least interesting.

The scene where Harley cuts off her hair has power, but then the narration breaks the mood, and since the Joker isn't in the movie I doubt it will be a defining moment of the story. Also, I don't understand why they won't give Black Canary a short jacket. I can understand getting rid of the fishnets, but her jacket is nearly as much of a signature garment for her.
    I agree. I like it when we all see the elephant in the room, usually it is easy to drag it out when it is not an mcu movie because MCU apparently has no flaws but you are right, the movie does not know what it wants to be. I called it suicide squad light because I was not sure of the tone, then it does feels like Chicago, then it feels like a chick flick. the tone is not clear yet but I think DC is still struggling to figure this out. they did go from Dawn of Justice to Shazam.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You realize that is not an actual thing right?

Just an idea that a director proposed.
    Potatoes, Potartoes. We know there would be more DC films like the Joker. Maybe its good they don't even use catwoman , batgirl or huntress in bird of prey,Let them save them for the batman reboot. those girls are better than harley quinn anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    If Cass is wimpified for Harley's sake, we oughta start a new term. Maybe 'Getting Dwayned'?
    Getting Dwayned? What does that refer to?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Potatoes, Potartoes. We know there would be more DC films like the Joker. Maybe its good they don't even use catwoman , batgirl or huntress in bird of prey,Let them save them for the batman reboot. those girls are better than harley quinn anyway.

Um....Huntress is in the movie. Haha.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Huntress and Black Canary are in this film...as is Cassandra Cain. And its clear...Harley Quinn is the mega popular character. WB wants to attract people to this and its no shock she's doing this and Suicide Squad again. (She was announced for Gunn's version..only her , Rick Flagg , Boomerang and Waller are returning)

I know its not the Birds of Prey comics fans know. But being honest ...that film was never gonna happen. This almost never happened til Robie pushed for a team girls movie.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Incredible Member

I'm going to hold off on judgement until I watch the film. It's very hard to judge dc films by the trailers imo. There have been trailers that looked amazing and the film sucked and there have been films with crappy or so-so trailers that the film was really good.

Marvel is a lot better and more straightforward with their trailers and marketing in general that I can pretty much tell a film I can skip and one i should see. DC has always been a coin toss.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Huntress and Black Canary are in this film...as is Cassandra Cain. And its clear...Harley Quinn is the mega popular character. WB wants to attract people to this and its no shock she's doing this and Suicide Squad again. (She was announced for Gunn's version..only her , Rick Flagg , Boomerang and Waller are returning)

I know its not the Birds of Prey comics fans know. But being honest ...that film was never gonna happen. This almost never happened til Robie pushed for a team girls movie.
    I'm not as down on this trailer as some are here, but I find this argument that we would never get a comics accurate BoP movie disingenuous. It's hardly an offputting concept to adapt.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm not as down on this trailer as some are here, but I find this argument that we would never get a comics accurate BoP movie disingenuous. It's hardly an offputting concept to adapt.
    Once Margot wanted them as her sidekicks a comic accurate BOP was never going to happen is the correct answer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

^^^Accurate.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.