Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

I thought the trailer was uninteresting. And i am among those who liked the first Venom trailer where Venom did not appear at all and that looked like an action movie starring Tom Hardy.

Liked to see Ewan McGregor as the villain. He can be great. This trailer is infuriating. There are other people then Harley Quinn! I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead. You won't even show the other heroes? I have not read a single Birds of Prey comic. But it still feels like my heart is breaking.

I am quite sure that the final film will have Margot Robbie in the most pivotal role but other characters will play important roles. The way the trailer is only about Harley makes me think the people cutting the trailers are overestimating Harley Quinn's appeal. The way its only her is actually quite comical when i think about it. She is the biggest draw. But the film is named Birds of Prey.

Astonishing Member

I'm a huge BOP fan, but let's be realistic, most of the time, it sold what, between 40 and 60k? Even if we all agreed to not see it, that's not a dent in the box office gross. Sadly, we're not the audience WB is going for.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I'm a huge BOP fan, but let's be realistic, most of the time, it sold what, between 40 and 60k? Even if we all agreed to not see it, that's not a dent in the box office gross. Sadly, we're not the audience WB is going for.
    Well they had longer running series than Ant Man and more than Dr. Strange this century.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Well they had longer running series than Ant Man and more than Dr. Strange this century.
    I don't doubt that BoP couldn't be big if they did the original concept done right--just that they don't need the BoP audience in what's basically a Harley solo movie.

I thought Harley Quinn sounded very annoying in the trailer shown during Batwoman last night..

The audience? No, but that's arguably the least amount of value you can get out of a small dedicated fan base for a prior story.

First is the value of a prior proven storyline and character dynamics. That's really helpful with the form of collaborative storytelling and story development that dominates movies.

A second is that while the US comics market is stagnant today, the type of characters and storytelling they developed still has a huge mass appeal.

A third is that a small enthusiastic group can be a huge marketing multiplier in today's world. It's tricky to manage this, and you risk strong backlashes as well, but it can be a very strong gamble.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

My fear is the movie was written with Joker as villain and now they just put a very crazy Black Mask in his slot. Hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    My fear is the movie was written with Joker as villain and now they just put a very crazy Black Mask in his slot. Hope I'm wrong.
    He does seem a little over the top in the trailer. But I need to see more

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    He does seem a little over the top in the trailer. But I need to see more
    I'm happy with Ewan McGregor. Bet he can pull of an evil Bruce Wayne type of villain with BM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    The Gotham City Sirens movie that David Ayer was going to make was going to use Black Mask as the villain. When Ayer dropped out and Margot Robbie took over she
    decided to use the Birds of Prey as the focus of the movie instead of the Gotham City Sirens. So Black Mask was always going to be the villain, never Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post

I don't understand why this is a Birds of Prey movie. This is clearly a Harley movie with the other characters in supporting roles.
    Sure looks like a Suicide Squad sequel in terms of the tone and all that. Wasn't as hyped about about Harley as the other fans were (I most wanted to see Katana come back), but it looks like it cold be interesting. Agree that the trailer makes it look like a Harley-lead story (although to be fair, she is in the title), which I'm not sure what to think, given that Cassandra Cain is the character I'm most interested in seeing here. (In regards to the question of her being changed for the movie, I could see her being a younger friend of Harley's as an effective way to give Harley more depth; e.g. show that she can care for other people, etc.)
    Last edited by WebLurker; 10-10-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Sure looks like a Suicide Squad sequel in terms of the tone and all that. Wasn't as hyped about about Harley as the other fans were (I most wanted to see Katana come back), but it looks like it cold be interesting. Agree that the trailer makes it look like a Harley-lead story (although to be fair, she is in the title), which I'm not sure what to think, given that Cassandra Cain is the character I'm most interested in seeing here. (In regards to the question of her being changed for the movie, I could see her being a younger friend of Harley's as an effective way to give Harley more depth; e.g. show that she can care for other people, etc.)
    Harley showed a lot of love for her fellow Suicide Squad members. She was the one that went up against Empress to save her friends. I think it was already established Harley cares about her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The Gotham City Sirens movie that David Ayer was going to make was going to use Black Mask as the villain. When Ayer dropped out and Margot Robbie took over she
    decided to use the Birds of Prey as the focus of the movie instead of the Gotham City Sirens. So Black Mask was always going to be the villain, never Joker.
    Which, considering Black Mask's connection to Catwoman, would've felt more fitting...

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Harley showed a lot of love for her fellow Suicide Squad members. She was the one that went up against Empress to save her friends. I think it was already established Harley cares about her friends.
    Still, having a "morality chain," so to speak, in this movie could be an effective for this story.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I’m not a fan, but the very fact this looks a lot like the studio have turned it more and more into Harley Quinn and Her Amazing Friends as production went on doesn’t really suggest that they have stopped screwing everything up.