Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    The movie was going to be a Harley Quinn solo flick, but Margot wanted a girl-gang. At no point was WB wanting to give us an actual BoP movie.
    The only reason there is anything vaguely resembling Birds of Prey is because Margot Robbie wanted to make the movie. If it were just up to Warner Bros. there never would have been a Birds of Prey movie anyway.
    Birds of Prey was never even on Warner Bros's radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    the trailer is disappointing. I was afraid of this. harley quinn is becoming what Jennifer lawerence was to the xmen films and it might be worse. also the tone feels like suicide squad light? I am not sure what it wants to be,

But all the focus been on Harley is way too much. this is not birds of prey. this is birds of prey

That is not Birds of Prey either. Where is Batgirl? All this does is substitute Catwoman for Harley Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Why are people complaining the name of the movie is Birds of Prey:and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn. It is not like they are hiding it is heavily Harley Quinn focus. And Harley Quinn is easily DC biggest female character and I say that knowing that Wonder Woman and Catwoman exists(Fight me).
    Supergirl too. Supergirl is also a big character. She is getting another movie, has her own comic book, and has her own TV show. Plus Supergirl is a major character in the DC Super Hero Girls cartoons. At this point in time
    Supergirl might be a bigger character than Catwoman outside the comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post

The main issue is that Birds of Prey is a series that could be good without Harley. You could replace Harley with Barbara as Oracle, make the others more recognizable, and closer to the source, and it'd all fit. Marvel can make Guardians of the Galaxy work, and if DC had that talent, Birds of Prey could be excellent. Instead, it's just "Harley" and the others are only there to support her, and aren't even recognizable as their characters apart from Huntress who somehow got comparatively lucky.
    The studio could make any character work if they wanted too. The question is do they want to. What is their incentive? Who is pitching the movie? Until Margot Robbie came along was there anyone wanting to make a Birds of Prey movie?
    If so I never heard anything about it.

If you don't consider this movie a Birds of Prey movie you are no better or worse off than before. You weren't going to get a Birds of Prey movie anyway and so you still don't get a Birds of Prey movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That is not Birds of Prey either. Where is Batgirl? All this does is substitute Catwoman for Harley Quinn.
    It was written by Gail Simone, the definitive BoP writer, so she probably figured she could get a better one-episode dynamic with Selina then she could trying to fit in Batgirl.

The studio could make any character work if they wanted too. The question is do they want to. What is their incentive? Who is pitching the movie? Until Margot Robbie came along was there anyone wanting to make a Birds of Prey movie?
    If so I never heard anything about it.

If you don't consider this movie a Birds of Prey movie you are no better or worse off than before. You weren't going to get a Birds of Prey movie anyway and so you still don't get a Birds of Prey movie.
    You give me that explanation like that somehow makes everything better. Look at the bigger picture: Marvel can make characters as obscure as the Guardians of the Galaxy work, and even Ant-Man can lead a solo film (Hell, they didn't even use Hank Pym, but his formerly D-list successor Scott Lang). Now we're getting Eternals, Shang-Chi, Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk. There's even talks of Werewolf by Night in Phase 5, and I bet Marvel is going to use some deep cut X-Men IPs better than Fox ever did (Excalibur movie, please!). Even the pillars that started the MCU, Iron Man, Cap and Thor, were all B-listers at best beforehand.

Are you getting what I'm saying here?

They could easily make a Birds of Prey movie work if they had the talent as Marvel. They could base it primarily off of Simone's run, make the main cast Oracle, Huntress, Black Canary and Lady Blackhawk (hell, throw in a better version of Cass for good measure), and make it an action movie first, girl gang movie second.

This is literally just a platform for Harley, to a point where it really should've been called Harley Quinn. On top of that, the characters I can barely recognize without research, and are only there to give Harley a cast to bounce off of. Replacing Oracle with Harley is wrong, making a Cass a sidekick to Harley (and what looks to be a major wimpified version) is criminal, and turning everyone else into one-note characters who are only there for Harley's benefit is straight-up bad.

Again, it goes back to what I was saying about how the DCEU is made primarily by corporate suits who know nothing of what they're making, while the MCU is made by people who know both the comics and the movie-making process, and know how to make them fit. It's a shame, because I know a DC cinematic universe can be just as good as the MCU if it were given the care it deserved.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    You give me that explanation like that somehow makes everything better. Look at the bigger picture: Marvel can make characters as obscure as the Guardians of the Galaxy work, and even Ant-Man can lead a solo film (Hell, they didn't even use Hank Pym, but his formerly D-list successor Scott Lang). Now we're getting Eternals, Shang-Chi, Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk. There's even talks of Werewolf by Night in Phase 5, and I bet Marvel is going to use some deep cut X-Men IPs better than Fox ever did (Excalibur movie, please!). Even the pillars that started the MCU, Iron Man, Cap and Thor, were all B-listers at best beforehand.

Are you getting what I'm saying here?

They could easily make a Birds of Prey movie work if they had the talent as Marvel. They could base it primarily off of Simone's run, make the main cast Oracle, Huntress, Black Canary and Lady Blackhawk (hell, throw in a better version of Cass for good measure), and make it an action movie first, girl gang movie second.

This is literally just a platform for Harley, to a point where it really should've been called Harley Quinn. On top of that, the characters I can barely recognize without research, and are only there to give Harley a cast to bounce off of. Replacing Oracle with Harley is wrong, making a Cass a sidekick to Harley (and what looks to be a major wimpified version) is criminal, and turning everyone else into one-note characters who are only there for Harley's benefit is straight-up bad.

Again, it goes back to what I was saying about how the DCEU is made primarily by corporate suits who know nothing of what they're making, while the MCU is made by people who know both the comics and the movie-making process, and know how to make them fit. It's a shame, because I know a DC cinematic universe can be just as good as the MCU if it were given the care it deserved.
    I have to agree with every word you said

Astonishing Member

Supposedly, Robbie read at least the Dixon/Simone BOP run (as well as a bunch of other BOP comics), so even if the Birds are actually supporting cast here, their personalities shine through.

As others have said, this was her pitch/she's producing the movie, so hopefully she is a fan as the rest of us. Obviously, the first trailer is going to focus on her, but maybe we'll see other characters shine through. (I'm ok with a kid Cassandra Cain as long as she's still a badass) I actually like Black Canary's look too.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    this times a million. Scrap it, and bring something better to the table WB

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

My problem is that it looks like some random Netflix movie rather the Birds of Prey I'm used to. Gonna have to set the bar lower than I did with Suicide Squad.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    My problem is that it looks like some random Netflix movie rather the Birds of Prey I'm used to. Gonna have to set the bar lower than I did with Suicide Squad.
    Well, you can at least take comfort in the fact that BOP can't possibly be any worse than SS.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Supposedly, Robbie read at least the Dixon/Simone BOP run (as well as a bunch of other BOP comics), so even if the Birds are actually supporting cast here, their personalities shine through.
    We see Helena's Catholicism and her training, which I'm honestly partially surprised they kept.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Well, you can at least take comfort in the fact that BOP can't possibly be any worse than SS.
    Without Will Smiths charm its possible. It be hard to do but it can happen.

Hope promo for this movie doesnt turn into people asking the actress playing Dinah about her brother non stop

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

That is not Birds of Prey either. Where is Batgirl? All this does is substitute Catwoman for Harley Quinn .
    BoP don't need a Batgirl. Barbara Gordon yes but not Batgirl. Huntress and Canary are enough to make it recognizably BoP.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Getting Dwayned? What does that refer to?
    Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson apparently has a clause in his contract requiring that he has to hit the bad guys as many times as they hit him. Because The Rock somehow doesn't look impressive enough in general.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

As others have said, this was her pitch/she's producing the movie, so hopefully she is a fan as the rest of us. Obviously, the first trailer is going to focus on her, but maybe we'll see other characters shine through. (I'm ok with a kid Cassandra Cain as long as she's still a badass) I actually like Black Canary's look too.
    I heard the same thing about SS.

"We love the source material!"

The problem is that they didn't truly understand the source material. That's why the movie sucked on several levels.

I wish people would stop saying that we should be thankful to Robbie for this BOP movie. It's not as if its a small studio production, and the source material isn't Saga or Sandman or some other obscure but well received series.

This is Warner Brothers. And while BOP may not be that high profile in comics, it is associated with Batman, and would be a natural pick if DC ever got their God damn act together. I mean, it's Charlie's Angels but with powers and costumes.

Ideally, I'm wrong, but it looks like this is nothing more than a Harley movie, with everyone else being her supporting cast. A diverse cast was put together as window dressing, little more. Which means, among other things, Cassandra is being wimped out to make the whitest chick ever, look good.

Not cool.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Without Will Smiths charm its possible. It be hard to do but it can happen.

Hope promo for this movie doesnt turn into people asking the actress playing Dinah about her brother non stop
    Honestly, Will Smith's 'charm' was a big part of why SS sucked.

He made Deadshot a cliche 80s Hitman ("No women, no children"), never built a rapport with Flag and frankly, was the same Will Smith action hero we've always seen.

It's just odd to me how the same people who have spent the last years ranting about how WB doesn't care about the source material when it comes to Batman and Superman are now defending what looks to be an in name only adaptation of BoP. Again, don't really dislike this trailer but the hypocrisy is honestly kind of funny.