Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I think the problem is that while yes, Birds of Prey wouldn't have been made now without Robbie, it's not a movie that comic fans want. It's not the Birds of Prey we all remember reading and loving; it's become a Harley Quinn movie featuring unrecognizable versions of characters we all like. And I'm like many others, who wished this had gotten shelved rather than made.
    How do we know the BoP is unrecognizable? They barely got any screen time in the trailer. As a comics fan, I was able to figure out who everyone was in the trailer. (With the "Is that child supposed to be Cassandra Cain?" question mark)

Maybe the movie takes off, and Birds of Prey manages to fly on it's own and now that Barbara Gordon is freed up she could potentially join the team in a sequel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    YouTube views for HQ from Warner Brothers website in the 24 hours seems rather small for a 'big' movie. Don't think it's getting a lot of interest from the general public.
    They're releasing in a "dump month", so they must not expecting it to be big. (That said there have been more successful Febuary releases lately)

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    How do we know the BoP is unrecognizable? They barely got any screen time in the trailer. As a comics fan, I was able to figure out who everyone was in the trailer. (With the "Is that child supposed to be Cassandra Cain?" question mark)

Maybe the movie takes off, and Birds of Prey manages to fly on it's own and now that Barbara Gordon is freed up she could potentially join the team in a sequel.
    True. We weren't able to get anything about Birds because the entire trailer focused on Harley. Did Helena even speak?

The sad thing is, there is probably a Harley Quinn movie in this that I would probably like. I just can't get over what they did to character I like more, like Dinah and Cassandra.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    )

That's not going to happen. If this movie takes off it will cement the Birds of Prey as Harley's gang to the mainstream media and general public. It will bury classic BoP.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    That's not going to happen. If this movie takes off it will cement the Birds of Prey as Harley's gang to the mainstream media and general public. It will bury classic BoP.
    Double edged sword isn't it...If the movie does poorly then everything regarding them will be doomed. If the movie does well then the comics will reflect that and Harley becomes the face of the Birds of Prey.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Double edged sword isn't it...If the movie does poorly then everything regarding them will be doomed. If the movie does well then the comics will reflect that and Harley becomes the face of the Birds of Prey.
    Eh, Suicide Squad has bounced back.

I think DC will learn the lesson Fox did, with Wolverine and X-Men. If the concept is supposed to be about a team, make it about the God damn team.

Not necessarily. DC for their faults is pretty good about not going too far with synergy. For example, the Teen Titans animated series might be what comes to mind for many and introduced the IP to a generation, but the roster of Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, Raven and Beast Boy has never been carried over to the comics. It's still remained diverse and fluctuating in featuring just about every teen hero out there (fortunately, it also meant that Dick Grayson still remained Nightwing).

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Not necessarily. DC for their faults is pretty good about not going too far with synergy. For example, the Teen Titans animated series might be what comes to mind for many and introduced the IP to a generation, but the roster of Robin, Starfire, Cyborg, Raven and Beast Boy has never been carried over to the comics. It's still remained diverse and fluctuating in featuring just about every teen hero out there (fortunately, it also meant that Dick Grayson still remained Nightwing).
    Teen Titans is not a good example to use. Many things from the animated series did carry over like Raven's character design, her ship with Beast Boy, and Cyborg's catchphrase. These elements also carried over in other mediums these characters appeared in like the animated movies, video games and other shows.

Teen Titans is not a good example to use. Many things from the animated series did carry over like Raven's character design, her ship with Beast Boy, and Cyborg's catchphrase. These elements also carried over in other mediums these characters appeared in like the animated movies, video games and other shows.
    Raven/Beast Boy wasn't from the show but it was something fans of the show wanted. But you are right about Titans being a bad example though I'd say it's the exception not the rule.

I was referring to the lineup. The one given did not dominate the brand afterwards and it still remained core to the idea throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    True. We weren't able to get anything about Birds because the entire trailer focused on Harley. Did Helena even speak?

The sad thing is, there is probably a Harley Quinn movie in this that I would probably like. I just can't get over what they did to character I like more, like Dinah and Cassandra.
    Harley Quinn is the character the general public wants to see. That is why the marketing is focused on her. We don't know anything about the movie itself or how significant a role the other characters play.
    In a way it would be counterproductive to give too much time to the other characters in the marketing because most people don't really care that much about them. They want a Harley movie. It's only the
    die hard BoP fans that are upset about this.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Harley Quinn is the character the general public wants to see. That is why the marketing is focused on her. We don't know anything about the movie itself or how significant a role the other characters play.
    In a way it would be counterproductive to give too much time to the other characters in the marketing because most people don't really care that much about them. They want a Harley movie. It's only the
    Wants to see, or will recognize?

Because there's a difference.

I'm surprised DC hasn't learned the lesson Fox did, with making Wolverine the star of their X-Men movies. Guess they need some more flops

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Wants to see, or will recognize?

Because there's a difference.

I'm surprised DC hasn't learned the lesson Fox did, with making Wolverine the star of their X-Men movies. Guess they need some more flops
    Harley Quinn merch sells well, Margot Robbie was the thing everyone like about the SS movie, so yeah makes sense for DC to assume "wants to see" here.
    Also Wolverine made Fox a boatload of money. DC/WB would love to be making The Wolverine/Logan kind of business on Harley here.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Then they should have made a Harley movie. Because a movie like this, while it may draw in some non-comics fans, it will still live or die based on how many comic fans actually show up. And if you piss off your audience right out of the gate, they won't show up.

I respect Margot Robbie as an actress, and I appreciate the obvious love she has for the character of Harley Quinn. I just wish she'd made a different movie than this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Then they should have made a Harley movie. Because a movie like this, while it may draw in some non-comics fans, it will still live or die based on how many comic fans actually show up.
    No it won't? Dafuq? We make up such a small tiny minority of the audience that we will not determine if this film succeeds or fails. The GA is much bigger than the comic book fans.
    Seriously?