Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Are we even allowed to complain about CBR? I thought since the accounts purge and restart they didn't allow negative comments on here.
    Others have. I wasn't here for that purge so I would certainly be interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    CBR comes to mind first, in this context. I haven't checked the front page in... years? Couldn't even tell you.
    Are we discussing the forum and the front page as two separate sites here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Are we discussing the forum and the front page as two separate sites here?
    I think we are. I come to this forum a lot now. The articles, not so much.

Has BoxOfficeMojo been mentioned yet?

Deadspin, now.

Most likely the entire Gizmodo family of sites, if it keeps going the way it’s going.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Rogue View Post
    Comicvine used to be really active with articles, and frankly a much nicer forum environment than the CBR forums, yikes, I used to be horrified at the cynicism over here, now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm acclimated to it, corrupted a bit too, maybe I like it here now.
    That's because CV was taken over - twice. It's not been the same since original owner Whisky Media was broken up, but the kicker was when CBS took it over, and merged all the user accounts with GameFAQs and Gamespot counterparts. The result, one day I was just locked out, my username and password didn't work. Because they'd been changed to my GameFAQs ones, which I only found out much later by accident. Why the HELL was I not given notice and a choice of what username to keep? So that was me done with that site.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Memory failing here but did they (the forums) have an Off Topic area called, "The Gutters"?
    Lying in the Gutters, and it wasn't off topic. It was the discussion forum for Rich Johnston's columns before he left to start Bleeding Cool.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200405190...resources.com/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I loved the AV club so much. The community was absolutely batshit insane, but not cruel, and I got to have some of the most insightful and entertaining discussions I've ever experienced online. Then the Kinjapocalypse happened, the community vanished, and the articles basically became "Lookit what this ******* said/did/wore. I'm mad!"
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Mighty Member

retrocrush is officially gone . Have any other sites you liked died?

Deadspin, now.
    After the "Stick With Sports" memo and the mass defections, pretty much. Not that it was that great beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    retrocrush is officially gone . Have any other sites you liked died?
    Yeah.The Official Halloween Message Board or ohmb.net. Anyone know what happened there?

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    After the "Stick With Sports" memo and the mass defections, pretty much. Not that it was that great beforehand.
    I didn't read everything, but it was a good site. It's a loss for sure. I don't know where those writers end up.

Deadspin, now.

Most likely the entire Gizmodo family of sites, if it keeps going the way it’s going.
    Yeah, the owners done f***ed up. I'm holding out hopes that the writers leaving en masse just start up another website together.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I'd certainly support whatever they did, should they go that route. Takes capital, though.

Still, the entire family of sites are in trouble now. The user experience has gone down the shitter. The ads are insane right now, and I doubt that was simply out of greed.

So, if the sites needed to be sold to keep afloat, and the ads had to be ramped up to such obnoxious levels, I don't know that starting a new site on their own is a smart financial reality for freelancers.

I do wonder what else was going on that we don't know about. There has to be more. Journalism is an industry where people fear getting laid off every day, so quitting like this is pretty unusual. It's got to be more than "stick to sports".

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    The articles, not so much.
    Interesting, what do you have against the articles? I don't check them out, but there must be something appealing about them.