All-New Member Prometheus Castles's Avatar

Default Namors Curse Of The Mutants and Namor Goes To Hell

First off let me say hello and glad to join everybody.

Sooooo. Recently I have become infatuated with Namor for some reason and decided to get into a few of his graphic novels. With that said Im curious if anyone has had an issue reading either of these volumes? They were entertaining but they seemed to jump quickly throughout the story and it becomes annoying at times. As for Namor he really is a hard character to like. Very arrogant and self righteous but still pretty cool so far. Normally when I get into my comic book modes ill normally pick a couple characters and dive into their backgrounds. For example last year was Bullseye and now this year its becoming Namor and MoonKnight. But yah just curios? Also if there are any other Namor issues to pick up please let me know. I want whatever I can get. Also is their a Volume 3 after Namor Goes To Hell?

Thank you guys and again glad to join every one.

Namor is awesome, there is an entire Namor thread here called IMPERIOUS REX and the first page has tons of info and links.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus Castles View Post

Sooooo. Recently I have become infatuated with Namor for some reason and decided to get into a few of his graphic novels. With that said Im curious if anyone has had an issue reading either of these volumes? They were entertaining but they seemed to jump quickly throughout the story and it becomes annoying at times. As for Namor he really is a hard character to like. Very arrogant and self righteous but still pretty cool so far. Normally when I get into my comic book modes ill normally pick a couple characters and dive into their backgrounds. For example last year was Bullseye and now this year its becoming Namor and MoonKnight. But yah just curios? Also if there are any other Namor issues to pick up please let me know. I want whatever I can get. Also is their a Volume 3 after Namor Goes To Hell?

I liked that Namor the First Mutant series that came out some years back. It's not really a graphic novel in the sense that it was the collected issues of a monthly title and not an original work. Those are usually called those as a TPB or trade paperback which collects what is or was an ongoing series. Graphic novels would be something like Batman's The Killing Joke.

I always like his older series going back to his solo series in Tales to Astonish, then the Sub-Mariner title by Roy Thomas with John Buscema and varioius artists, followed by The Super-Villain Team-Up series with his frequent ally Doctor Doom. I hope we get a reunion of sorts one day and maybe Namor will appear in Doom's new solo series. Anytime these two are together is gold IMO
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-01-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Thank you. I'm really enjoying his story and want to know more.

Ive always collected comics and so when they are all out together in one book I just always assumed they were called graphic novels. With that said. Where should I start to begin everything involving Namor? Also thank you for the info.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Always great to hear someone enjoying Namor stories.

I enjoyed Namor the First Mutant, but sadly that is the last ongoing Namor had. So there were alot of things for long time fans, like the leader of the Aqueos, the Betty Dean story, and the Running of the Beasts.

It also suffered from spinning out of an X-Men event and being prematurely canceled (i.e. the writer had to wrap up things quickly), as well as inconsistent art.

The other problem you are going to have with Namor is that he hasn't exactly been written the same over his very long existence. He's Marvel's oldest superhero. And the modern take is far more arrogant and snarky and ... abrasive than he has been in the past. Though, he's always been an angry, overly proud character -- he mostly had an understandable, and often sympathetic motive. I did a whole thread on the Heroism of Namor for the Christmas Advent calendar here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...dvent-Calendar

Anyway, the short answer: if you like reading Silver Age / Bronze Age books, I recommend starting with his Tales to Astonish run and continuing with his 1968 series the Sub-Mariner, which has been collected in Marvel Masterworks (8 volumes) and there's one black and white Essential for the first two Marvel Masterworks.

If that's a little too old school for you, I suggest you pick up this collection: Sub-Mariner & the Original Human Torch

https://www.amazon.com/Sub-Mariner-O.../dp/0785190481

It reprints the 12 issue Saga of the Sub-Mariner which came out in 1989, and is an autobiography (yes, Namor narrates the whole thing!) of Namor's life from his birth to just before John Bryne 1990s run on Namor. It's written by Roy Thomas, who also wrote about 40 issues of Namor's Silver / Bronze Age book.

John Byrne's Namor run was partially collected in two volumes of John Byrne Visionaries Namor, but his entire run, as well as Jae Lee's fantasy issues, actually just came out this week in a pricey, but gorgeous oversized omnibus just this week. I'm not that fond of Byrne's run, which puts Namor on land mostly as a CEO, but I love Jae Lee's following issues. They are very 90s EXTREME art Jae Lee, but the story is by Bob Harras, of all people, and is a great gothic, high fantasy tale set in Atlantis.

If none of that era is your cup of tea, I recommend trying Sub-Mariner Revolution, which came out in 2007. It's a mini-series following Civil War, and sets Namor up for some of his modern appearances. It an entertaining story, but there are several things I don't think Namor would ever do in it, but that seems where the modern, more ruthless take on Namor starts.

There's lots of other appearances that are great, and some are in team books, as he's been on most of the major teams in the Marvel Universe, but it depends on what you like to read and how far you want to back to.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Namor is awesome, there is an entire Namor thread here called IMPERIOUS REX and the first page has tons of info and links.
    I second this recommendation. I've been working on updating the first page, also.

I'd also recommend for reading order / comics that have been collected in trades:
    Collecting Namor The Sub-Mariner Comics as Graphic Novels by Crushing Krisis

Ive always collected comics and so when they are all out together in one book I just always assumed they were called graphic novels. With that said. Where should I start to begin everything involving Namor? Also thank you for the info.
    Lots of people and stores call them graphic novels also. I think of them as collections or trades, but graphic novels will do also.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 10-02-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?