View Poll Results: Rogue/Mystique's BH Basically Same as Current XMen?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and both are good things for mutants

2 10.53%
  • Yes and both are bad things for mutants

4 21.05%
  • No they're different

13 68.42%
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Default Was Rogue Pre-XMen Basically What Hicksmen Are Now?

Think about it, Rogue was fighting alongside Mystique, Destiny, and others on behalf of mutants. They wanted to create a world that would offer their species protection from human aggression. They weren't afraid to get into conflict with human-enforcement superteams. They had a certain "noble resistance" quality to them.

Flash forward to now, and the XMen under Hickman are basically trying to become separate from humanity except insofar as they launch missions against oppressors and seek to protect/free vulnerable mutants. We already witnessed a brewing proto-conflict in House of X #1 between Cyclops and the FF. And then in a later issue between Emma Frost/Cuckoos and a human courtroom. So the possibilities for X-Men vs Avengers (or other such groups) are clearly present in this new status quo.

I almost forgot to mention, it's also true that Mystique's BH squad essentially gave GodMoira this entire concept, so that's another strong indicator tying these approaches together.

So I have to ask... what fundamentally is the difference between these two? To my mind, you have to either consider both "villainous" or neither.

Your thoughts? Are both "bad" ways for mutants to go? Both "good"? Or do you believe they're distinguishable and one good one bad?
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 10-21-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

They were just as likely to be engaged in criminal schemes. I remember that they ran into Carol Danvers because they were engaged in mercenary espionage to further themselves financially.

Honestly, I never completely understood what Destiny was up to exactly. Was she so lost in her visions that she didn't realize that her and Mystique were sometimes part of the problem?

Krakoa is dealing openly with humans, and negotiating for peace treaties with world governments, they are engaged in peaceful diplomacy. Sure they used the carrot of Krakoan medicines, but that was just to get the humans to negotiate in good faith instead of trying to kill the mutants for even trying to form a nation.

Mystique never engaged in diplomacy, she was a mercenary and a spy, who stole information or technology to sell. She had a cause to further mutants, but she had no long term plan other than to cause chaos around her among the human governments.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

I'll never forgive Mystique and the rest of Freedom Force for eFFin' up the lives of the Limbo Babies...
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Nah. 10cha

what a confusing title

And no. I see no correlation at all

Not really.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    They were just as likely to be engaged in criminal schemes. I remember that they ran into Carol Danvers because they were engaged in mercenary espionage to further themselves financially.

Honestly, I never completely understood what Destiny was up to exactly. Was she so lost in her visions that she didn't realize that her and Mystique were sometimes part of the problem?

Krakoa is dealing openly with humans, and negotiating for peace treaties with world governments, they are engaged in peaceful diplomacy. Sure they used the carrot of Krakoan medicines, but that was just to get the humans to negotiate in good faith instead of trying to kill the mutants for even trying to form a nation.

Mystique never engaged in diplomacy, she was a mercenary and a spy, who stole information or technology to sell. She had a cause to further mutants, but she had no long term plan other than to cause chaos around her among the human governments.
    Pretty much this. What separates Hickman's concept of the X-Men from Mystique's Brotherhood (or Magneto's Brotherhood, for that matter) is that unlike the Brotherhoods, Hickman's X-Men aren't trying to sabotage human society from within or attack it from without. They are trying to create a space where they can not only survive, but actually thrive for a change, and negotiating in mostly good faith with human governments and authorities to accomplish that without having the Sentinels and/or the Avengers sent to knock down their doors in the dead of night. (I say mostly only because there are some things they're keeping close to the vest for the sake of personal security and autonomy, which every nation-state does, anyway.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Hmmm, Your opening questions have thrown me a bit, so I'll cycle back to them laters...

But, On thread title, Yes, I've noticed it too,

and I'll add that Rogues story does encapsulate the X-Men narrative well. She's every X-Men in a sense, *cue Chaka Khan - I'm Every Woman* (but she does't encapsulate all of Mutants, as she hasn't a visibly physically obvious mutation, other than the hair stripe. But, then-again after UA televised press conferences, She's widely known as a mutant in the marvel universe)

Another one of HiX-Men concept?/designs taken from Rogue so far are;

The Chimeras - Rogue is the original chimera in concept and design. The amalgam of characters is something that Rogues powerset has been used to depict, in these pretty picture books for 30+ years. So why no nod to her?

And another obvious character being deliberately sidelined as to not arouse criticism of canon considerations is Banshee. [oh and Vulcan]

I'll get back about the OP questions later.
    Last edited by Ultimate Rogue; 10-22-2019 at 07:32 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Nah. There was absolutely nothing noble about Mystique's brotherhood.

Hm... maybe you're right.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier