Page 92 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1590

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I got a little lost with that argument, so I will ask a question.

Do you think Magneto broke any principles of justice by sending an unstable psychopath with a compulsion to kill anyone that points a gun at him, into the field to conduct a black ops mission. Is his “I gave you strict instructions” a viable defence?
    Oh, I was talking about the part that violence against mutants played in the creation of the Wild Sentinels and destruction of Genosha. Which now that I think about it, kind of does make the gun argument make sense. Hmmmmm but about this Magneto thing, it’s the type of plausible deniability that can save his hide even if he knew Creed would ignore his rules and kill people anyway. It was also a test of Sabretooth’s loyalty to the nation of Krakoa and he placed his impulses above their plan for a sovereign Mutant nation. I don’t really think Magneto broke any rules but he definitely knew what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Oh, I was talking about the part that violence against mutants played in the creation of the Wild Sentinels and destruction of Genosha. Which now that I think about it, kind of does make the gun argument make sense. Hmmmmm but about this Magneto thing, it’s the type of plausible deniability that can save his hide even if he knew Creed would ignore his rules and kill people anyway. It was also a test of Sabretooth’s loyalty to the nation of Krakoa and he placed his impulses above their plan for a sovereign Mutant nation. I don’t really think Magneto broke any rules but he definitely knew what he was doing.
    If he knew what he was doing and Creed is not responsible for his actions (debatable) then he may have a case to answer. It doesn’t look like he will be answering to that though.

It brings to mind the Derek Bentley case, although that was an inverted situation to this one.

But fair enough, you were talking about sentinels. Sentinels themselves have indeed become a more relevant metaphor since the increased militarisation of police in the US, but I can’t speak on that with authority because I live thousands of miles away in a country where the police are not employed by the state, so it’s a difficult comparison for me to make.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Is the tree with eyes supposed to be a manifestation of Krakoa or is it Black Tom?

Can I clarify. You think justice is peer pressure and brainwashing?

Here is the lowdown. The way we codify our societies is somewhat arbitrary and based on context and circumstances from history. Abstract concepts are not tangibly real in an objective sense. A functional society is built upon principles that we all agree on and we can’t afford to have the entire debate from the ground up every time somebody does something that causes a problem.

So yes justice is just a concept agreed upon by a long and ongoing process, but that doesn’t make it brainwashing. Justice may be blind but it is transparent. Anyone with the will to do so and a basic grasp of law is free to challenge it and decisions are made openly with maximum scrutiny.

Krakoa hasn’t reached that level of sophistication. Most nations don’t start from scratch. They start with an existing set of laws that they agree with and adapt them to their own purpose. Clearly mutants feel that existing human laws are not a good place to start. They have a very rocky road ahead of them if they don’t even start with Plato.
    I think people's sense of morality is a result of peer pressure and brainwashing and what people decide is justice is a result of that morality. This is the reason why what a society believed was justice later becomes criminal. I think people need to think for themselves and focus on what is most important to them and act accordingly to their benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post

Is the tree with eyes supposed to be a manifestation of Krakoa or is it Black Tom?
    Black Tom was a bad guess by most of us when we first saw the walking tree in the future. They are both Krakoa.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    I think people's sense of morality is a result of peer pressure and brainwashing and what people decide is justice is a result of that morality. This is the reason why what a society believed was justice later becomes criminal. I think people need to think for themselves and focus on what is most important to them and act accordingly to their benefit.
    That’s precisely why we have a legal system. To counteract human nature.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    No but I think it’s reasonable to blame the guy who created a death machine specifically coded to kill one subset of a population because he and his family are all violently bigoted. Machines encoded with explicit, destructive biases are not the same as guns. Racial violence with guns has later mutated into slave patrol enforcing black people which we still see with systemic racial violence in the police force towards minorities but especially black people. And that’s something that is acknowledged by at least a good number of people (see: BLM).
    Sentinels didn't just kill mutants in the future they killed powered baseline humans too -- hell, their programming evolved to the point that they decided to cause Sol to spit a solar flare at Earth thus killing all life. It's only a matter of time before the Sentinels compute that in order to eradicate mutants the must kill normal humans too. Isn't it ironic that Trask decided that his mutant son should be ignored by the Sentinels by giving him a pendant that masked his X-Gene?
    Last edited by Shreene; 10-04-2019 at 03:54 AM.

It is Krakoa, it can manifest a face anywhere on the island.

Excellent question. Give this guy a job Marvel.
    To be fair, I think Death in particular has always not been a fan of mutants. They keep getting driven to extinction in many realities!

I'd love an event focused on trying to figure out why Death has a hate-boner for mutants.

Maybe it has do something with Phoenix (cosmic psionic entity of life and rebirth) loving them so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Kind of wondering what Death (the entity of course) feels about that to be honest.
    In the long term everyone will end up dying. What are thousands of years when you have all eternity?

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    To be fair, I think Death in particular has always not been a fan of mutants. They keep getting driven to extinction in many realities!

I'd love an event focused on trying to figure out why Death has a hate-boner for mutants.

Maybe it has do something with Phoenix (cosmic psionic entity of life and rebirth) loving them so much?
    Pesky love!

This image makes me want an "I am Groot", "I am krakoa" verbal showdown
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It is Krakoa, it can manifest a face anywhere on the island.

And, here I thought that Black Tom was in charge of Defense/Observation -- no reason he couldn't have merged with Krakoa for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This image makes me want an "I am Groot", "I am krakoa" verbal showdown
    LL!

And, here I thought that Black Tom was in charge of Defense/Observation -- no reason he couldn't have merged with Krakoa for that.
    i guess it's a lil less creepy having a Mutant island rather than a Mutant formerly homicidal kidnapper manifesting faces being able to see you 24/7
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    i guess it's a lil less creepy having a Mutant island rather than a Mutant formerly homicidal kidnapper manifesting faces being able to see you 24/7
    Lmao I never thought of that. Krakoa probably be telling Doug everybody secrets on the island. I bet they have a great time gossiping.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/