Page 97 of 106 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1590
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I was going through the tread point by point, so I have a perspective on where it came from, but I grant you I may have misunderstood your specific point if you are not personally attached to the idea of this book being about a ‘win’.

Perhaps to clarify, do you personally think this story is supposed to be about a win? Or were you suggesting it wasn’t?

From my perspective it certainly isn’t.
    I do not think it is about a win.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    I think the point is they are no longer catering to humans and care if they continue to be aholes. Bigoted aholes aren't the center of the universe, let them hate there is no reason to want to be accepted by them anyway.
    They have done this before (literally) and still failed. The bigoted aholes think they are the center of the universe, and will keep coming after them. But I guess it does not really matter in the end, obviously having their own nation is not the endgame anyway, but my point is that, unless there is a very specific reason they need to keep humans off, they might just speed up the building of hate towards them that will lead to an attack that always happens.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I do not think it is about a win.
    In which case I unreservedly apologise. I entirely misunderstood your point.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    But if the only thing being withheld is direct and personal access to 316 square miles of remote island territory out of all of the land on Earth then why is that a reason to loose good faith when the “goods” promised are still being traded as agreed?
    That's what I don't understand either. I get that Charles and Erik bringing the villains into the council is suspicious and there is an undercurrent of something suspicious going on, but on the other hand it could also be interpreted as "we have tried every other possible way to work with the humans, our only hope is to try this new path and form an alliance with all mutants to stand together and defend ourselves against the endless genocidal tactics of the humans".

They have tried every other way to work with humans, it always fails, the humans always continue to oppress, imprison, enslave, torture, and kill mutants at every turn.

So they have formed their own country and formed a political and economic alliance with all mutants from all walks of life, hero or villain. They have created fantastic new pharmaceutical products that will revolutionize medicine around the world, using this product as a way to get trade and peace agreements the allied mutant nation of Krakoa has successfully extracted peace and trade agreements with nearly 80% of the planet.

Now they must look internally to the safety and security of their people and "For the Children". So they create a safe nation where mutants are safe to walk around and experience joy in their powers openly. Heck part of the reason they don't want humans visiting the island too much is because they don't want mutants to feel uncomfortable for the first time enjoying their powers out in the open. Paris can sit around a campfire telling mutant children stories about the legends of yore and he doesn't have to worry about a bunch of redneck humans coming out of the trees and shooting those children or throwing a bomb at them.

If your people had been violently oppressed for so long you would want to create a safe haven for your people too. A place where your children can finally be healthy and happy and feel safe in their homes and in their community.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Extraordinary Member

In which case I unreservedly apologise. I entirely misunderstood your point.
    No worries, even this exchange allowed me to think about some other aspects of the story.

They have done this before (literally) and still failed. The bigoted aholes think they are the center of the universe, and will keep coming after them. But I guess it does not really matter in the end, obviously having their own nation is not the endgame anyway, but my point is that, unless there is a very specific reason they need to keep humans off, they might just speed up the building of hate towards them that will lead to an attack that always happens.
    That is a easy solution all they have to do is make a public example out of the ones that attack them let the world know it will not be tolerated and there will be consequences.
    Last edited by ComeOnBunny; 10-04-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    That is a easy solution all they have to do is make a public example out of the ones that attack them let the world know it will not be tolerated.
    That was life 9.

You know full well it doesn’t.
    Ha ha.

Sometimes it gets better though. I liked reading the past ten pages at keast. As reading those thread is a kind of experience in itself - which happily I tend to dissociate widely from the experience of reading the books - I'm tempted to build a theory : the quality of the debates depends not only of the time of the week, but also of the time of the day...
    Last edited by Abe; 10-04-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

That was life 9.
    No it wasn't, they did not publically execute 9 generations of the family members that tried to kill them. That is what making a example out of someone means. Xavier and Jean are still fools that believe in mercy towards enemies and bigots that try to kill them. I suspect this is one of the reasons Namor turned Xavier away.
    Last edited by ComeOnBunny; 10-04-2019 at 08:27 AM.

BANNED

There is no such thing as a mutant as defined in the X-Books. They are a conceit designed to allow any reader to identify with their plight through analogy and metaphor. There is no single metaphor within the pages of the corpus of X-Books. Every one of us as individuals has a certain amount of privilege and corresponding lack of it, and as such we are all capable of both empathising with this kind of fiction as well as seeing the issues from more than one side or perspective. I am not making this as a dogmatic claim about race, creed, sexuality or any minority. In the case of your point about a blanket statement holding true I don’t see any logic to it that holds up to this perspective on X-Books.
    And, here I thought that in the X-Books a mutant was defined as anyone with an X-Gene...
    Last edited by Shreene; 10-04-2019 at 08:22 AM.

No worries, even this exchange allowed me to think about some other aspects of the story.
    And at least I was able to make my point a little less forcefully so you also had a point there too.

My point is kind of inverted because it comes from a place of admiration for anyone that can write clear and thoughtful plot-driven stories, partly because when I write I do the exact opposite and write character-driven fiction.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    And, here I thought that in the X-Books a mutant was defined as anyone with an X-Gene...
    It is. Nobody in the real world has such a gene.

BANNED

It is. Nobody in the real world has such a gene.
    Real world? Anyone notice there are no mutant babies/toddlers/children on Krakoa?

Real world? Anyone notice there are no mutant babies/toddlers/children on Krakoa?
    There are kids. House of X 1 begins with Jean accompanying children to Krakoa and in House of X 6 Exodus is seen telling stories to children around a bonfire.

However, when they are very young, most have not yet expressed their X-Gene so they are indistinguishable from humans. Mutant children who have not yet manifested their powers do not make sense in Krakoa because it would be necessary to do genetic tests globally to distinguish them from humans, something that X-Men definitely do not want to happen because of the damage that these children could suffer.

Actually we just got a panel with exodus sourrounded by mutant children and telling them stories near the fire
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”