Page 74 of 106 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1590
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    That so called trial of Sabretooth was a joke considering that half that council as committed far more terrible crimes and killed far more people than Creed ever has. What happens when Logan kills some humans the next time he is on one of his solo adventures, he's in Mardipoor or some hick town and gets into a fight? Will he be put on trial like Creed, will this no kill humans law even be bought up, will it be said he was killing on orders from Krakoa or do we think Logan's killing days are over? More likely it won't even be acknowledged.
    I often see the excuse for Sinister, Apocalypse, and Mystique somehow being good to kill because all the people they ever killed was for some great cause - and not ever for their own bias or sadism. lol

These guys are just more popular & tend to have better stories, so they get more pass.

FOR NOW, it seems like Hickman needed a fall-man to build his world, and used the chance to have Creed Put on A Bus.

I don't expect this punishment or law to come up again too often -if ever. If another mutant kills a human it'll be excused for good reason. I'm fine with putting Creed on a bus because he has been overused for too little. But make it less obvious. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-03-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Personally I don't even get the whole "humans are being oppressed by Krakoa" thing [•••]
    You don't get it because NO ONE is saying such a thing around here to begin with... This is basic goalposts moving if I've ever seen any.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicisnovel View Post
    This seems important.

I think that Hickman wants us to believe that since Moira gave Xavier knowledge, Krakoa has always been the endgame.
    =So Genosha and Utopia were experiments that were allowed to Happen.

I think thematically Krakoa is different because Xavier is pushing a philosophy that mutants are transcendent. If they use their powers all in unison they can acheive a social structure, knowledge, energy and higher culture that mutants could never dream of. This mutant symbiosis is possible in part through Krakoa and in part through Cerebro. [Humans are not known for the ability to co-operate en masse.] Also For the first time the nation is built on the premise that mutants ARE better. EVen the culture and materials and laws and sex and life and death will be above the human imagination.

-Utopia didnt have the council government body and the Logan - Scott schism was the achiles heel.
    -Genosha had no leverage against humans, and didnt have the monopoly that Krakoa has since "the dream" was still considered possible. In that sense Krakoa is the mutant countermeasure to how Genosha was taken down. This time the other failsafe is those who die can be brought back.

So that is why this isnt just another "country". It's like, the whole society from scratch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasy Free Me View Post
    Not at all, but Krakoa for me feels different. The drugs they use as leverage, the Resurrection Five, the fact that ALL Mutants (included) villains were invited, it just feels... "bigger"? I don't know how to explain it. Genosha was big but lasted almost nothing, I loved Utopia but it was smaller in comparison and Schism came quick enough, so IDK, the concept is certainly not new but how it was done feels like it.
    The craft into the conception of Krakoa is unparalleled assuredly. Hickman is a gift to the franchise.
    That being said, I like the idea of Providence, Genosha and Utopia being some sort of templates upon which Xavier drew some inspiration to conceive " his" country with Moira. Though, that would be an incredibly cynical approach in a sense coming from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    I think we can all see where your supremacist leanings are! I for one hope this book opens your eyes
    Kind of illustrate what I meant earlier by "casually offensive comments" so quoted for the sake of posterity, thank you.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    That so called trial of Sabretooth was a joke considering that half that council as committed far more terrible crimes and killed far more people than Creed ever has. What happens when Logan kills some humans the next time he is on one of his solo adventures, he's in Mardipoor or some hick town and gets into a fight? Will he be put on trial like Creed, will this no kill humans law even be bought up, will it be said he was killing on orders from Krakoa or do we think Logan's killing days are over? More likely it won't even be acknowledged.
    It wasn't a joke. Per the amnesty they aren't judging anyone based on their past crimes. Creed (post-amnesty) went out of his way to murder two humans during a covert operations. Come on now it's right there in the story.

BANNED

Is Krakoa going to be feeding on Creed now that he is in its engulfs is something to speculate about. Of course it may also be possible but not likely that Sabretooth returns with a army of Arakkoan demonic spawns to war with Krakoa armed with the twilight sword. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Is Krakoa going to be feeding on Creed now that he is in its engulfs is something to speculate about. Of course it may also be possible but not likely that Sabretooth returns with a army of Arakkoan demonic spawns to war with Krakoa armed with the twilight sword. Lol
    I actually thought his punishment could've been get locked up for a while and used to feed Emplate. lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    My only issue with this arc is the "death is meaningless, officially"

For me is going to be very hard to swallow.
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    What do you mean?
    Since all mutants can just be reborn again. Many feel there's no risk since all our main characters are basically immortal.

If they go on a dangerous mission, who cares. They just come back if they get killed. lol

But I don't think this is any different than it has been. Death has Been Cheap in comics since they were invented.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-03-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    ALSO (sorry, has this been discussed?) .... I'd love to know (do we?) the process for assembling the Council members. We know Emma was selected by Chuck & Erik and Shaw was a free gift with purchase, as was the Red chair.
    I suppose we should assume Chuck and Erik selected ALL council members? Or perhaps just ONE per season? And that one would then select the other 2 at their table?
    Shaw wasn't exactly a gift. They told Emma they wanted Shaw and she made a deal for a 3rd chair that she could pick herself in exchange for letting them have Shaw. Emma definitely doesn't see Shaw as a gift, it was a contract requirement that Xavier and Erik wanted in exchange for her shipping and trade arrangement. Technically they made a reasonable case for why they wanted him so Emma decided to agree but she wanted the ability to pick a council member herself (to counter Shaw). Erik and Xavier agreed to give her the choice of the 3rd Hellfire seat, so the pick is their negotiated agreement with Emma in exchange for asking Emma to bring Shaw back to the Hellfire Club (against her own interests).

Emma picks Kate Pryde, and she obviously does it because she knows Kate is literally the polar opposite of Sebastian Shaw. It's balance, she has to take the back stabbing ******* back into the organization that she had already successfully kicked him out of. She agrees to do this because she got a really good trade deal out of this along with her own seat on the governing council. But Emma is a skeptical person and she may be all in to a degree. As a skeptic she decides that she needs someone whose opinion she trusts and she chooses Kate. Emma knows that she and Kate will argue, and that's ok, Kate wont' backstab Emma, Kate will tell Emma the truth even if Emma doesn't like it, and that's perfectly fine, because Kate will drive Sebastian nuts at meetings, and that is worth all the gold in the world.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    My only issue with this arc is the "death is meaningless, officially"

For me is going to be very hard to swallow.
    I have to admit this is probably a deal breaker for me. I flat out do not buy that these pod people are anything but distinct entities transformed physically and mentally to pass as the originals. By my reading Cyclops is dead dead, unless Kid Cable says "damn you Xavier, now I got to bring my dad back again." While I do not like the idea of reading about a bunch of copies running around, there is at least a bigger story, but if every single one of these people on this island just goes along without questioning this, that will be quite the mountain to climb in order to follow along.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Since all mutants can just be reborn again. Many feel there's no risk since all our main characters are basically immortal.

If they go on a dangerous mission, who cares. They just come back if they get killed.
    They might revisit this though. Perhaps the more this happens the more severe your PTSD gets. Perhaps they have severe haunting nightmares of their deaths. I would actually like it if Hickman explored ramifications for resurrection and the psychological implications of it. Also, what happens if you resurrect someone who wanted to stay dead, it will be interesting if we encounter some mutants who didn't want to be brought back.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Despite some heated discussions for a long time these topics have not had many answers without some kind of hero vs. hero conflict.

The fact that HoX catches the attention of readers and forum members makes me happy.

Extraordinary Member

I see one big fundamental flaw in the new nation of Krakoa - it is dependent on a small group of people to function, and if any one of them is lost, the whole thing falls apart.

Those people are Doug Ramsey and the 5 who bring back the dead. Without Doug they can't communicate with Krakoa, which would be very bad since they live on him. And if any 1 of the 5 were to die no one would be able to be resurrected ever.

I'm assuming Xavier can be replaced and that other telepaths could use Cerebro like he does to complete the resurrection process.

A society that is so dependent on any individual to function is on shaky ground. This isn't about filling government positions, these are absolutely necessary functions that literally no one else in the world can do.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    They might revisit this though. Perhaps the more this happens the more severe your PTSD gets. Perhaps they have severe haunting nightmares of their deaths. I would actually like it if Hickman explored ramifications for resurrection and the psychological implications of it. Also, what happens if you resurrect someone who wanted to stay dead, it will be interesting if we encounter some mutants who didn't want to be brought back.
    PAD did this briefly. After Monet was killed, Guido brought her back. And she came back depressed, numb, and more cynical than ever. She even attacks a man for singing a Karaoke song about Heaven, yelling that there isn't one because she didn't see it. Never-mind the flaw in that. lol

Hickman did do it a bit with Moira. When Destiny had her burned alive, it definitely seemed to scare her into agreement the next life.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Not that I want to beat this dead horse, but no one is dying on any hill. It seems to me that some readers felt it was just worth mentioning for different reasons. Whether it was because it made them question this mutant law and how things worked in this new government ("You can judge a society by how well it treats its prisoners". Fyodor Dostoevsky), or they just like the character and people support characters they like because it is serialized fiction.
    Exactly this. I don't like Sabretooth, but inflicting the most nightmarish form of punishment on him for breaking a law they just then created screams totalitarianism. The Hickman kool-aid drinkers refuse to see that though, since mutants are getting a "win". It doesn't matter that the X-Men are basically the Inhumans now, are now about as sympathetic and likeable as a piranha in an SS uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I often see the excuse for Sinister, Apocalypse, and Mystique somehow being good to kill because all the people they ever killed was for some great cause - and not ever for their own bias or sadism. lol

These guys are just more popular & tend to have better stories, so they get more pass.

FOR NOW, it seems like Hickman needed a fall-man to build his world, and used the chance to have Creed Put on A Bus.

I don't expect this punishment or law to come up again too often -if ever. If another mutant kills a human it'll be excused for good reason. I'm fine with putting Creed on a bus because he has been overused for too little. But make it less obvious. lol
    Sure Jan on this.

The damaged they put x-men on, seems like it doesn't even matter anymore to readers WTF