Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spider-Verse (2019) #1

This comic seems to have flown under the radar somewhat, but I really liked it!

spoilers:
    I really like the premise, and it seems like we're not going down the 'kill people off for shock value' route - heck, we even see Spder-Man Noir in the big ol' montage. And hey, we get some great alternate earths on our way through (with the obligatory Spider-Punk appearance). Plus as a fan of RYV, it's good to see Annie will be playing a major role (side note: this and Houser's story in Marvel Comics #1001 really makes me want a RYV revival) - although hopefully as an active participant and not a human Macguffin. Kind of weird that her parents aren't getting involved, though - while I get the thematic reason why the writers don't want another Peter Parker (especially one identical in appearance to the archetypical Spider-Man), it does seem kind of weird they apparently aren't involved in the search for their missing daughter. Sadly it looks like Mayday's also going to be relegated to a cameo in the Spider-Verse montage page - while of course Miles & Gwen are the big two people think of when it comes to the Spider-Verse after Peter, she was really the trailblazer. Spider-Zero seems cool, I like her aesthetic, but I'm curious if there's going to be more to her than meets the eye. All things considered, I'm curious and excited to see where they go next. The Spidersonas in the back were all really great- hopefully they'll play into the story proper later on.
    end of spoilers

I recommend it to anyone who liked Into The Spider-Verse, or heck, Spidey in general. The first issue's written by Jed MacKay, who's writing Black Cat & also did most of the Spider-Punk (or rather, the Anarchic Spider-Man, as he prefers to be called) in the last two Spider-Verse crossovers.

What does everyone else think?
    Last edited by Yvonmukluk; 10-02-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Spelling

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Definitely an interesting intro issue. I really ended up liking Spider-Zero's design and the various worlds that Miles ended up getting yanked into, the Mad Max inspired one in particular. I'm assuming there's way more than she's letting on about why she selected Miles in particular to help her out.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I love the Spider-Verse but it felt less like a story and more like just a reason to show off various art styles and genres because nothing happens outside of Miles meeting Spider-Zero.

Also I think they should have thought of a better reason to not bring in Peter Parker. The "new generation" thing doesn't really work if the multiverse is in danger, also why 616 Miles? There are other Miles out there. Also why not grab a teenage Peter Parker at least?

The big plothole for me is, if the Web is restored, shouldn't the Web Watches be functional again? All Zero had to do was come to 616 and either give Miles a new one or ask him to get his old one from home.

Anya Corazon is a notable absentee as well. She and Spider-UK were the ones previously in Zero's role. Spider-UK died in Geddon, but there's no reason Spider-Girl shouldn't also have been called in. Especially since still being a teenager, she's part of that new generation too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Did Ben Reilly appear (I mean, beyond being part of a one-panel montage of spider people)?

I saw Ultimate Spider-Woman in the montage. I hope that she shows up later on. And speaking of that, they can have a Peter Parker and stick to the "new generation" thing by calling Ultimate Peter, who is still a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The big plothole for me is, if the Web is restored, shouldn't the Web Watches be functional again? All Zero had to do was come to 616 and either give Miles a new one or ask him to get his old one from home.

Anya Corazon is a notable absentee as well. She and Spider-UK were the ones previously in Zero's role. Spider-UK died in Geddon, but there's no reason Spider-Girl shouldn't also have been called in. Especially since still being a teenager, she's part of that new generation too.
    Maybe due to this being a new Web of Life, the old web watches are incompatible and a new one would have to be created.

I'd like to assume she called Miles specifically for some reason that she's just not telling yet. Like some have already mentioned maybe she's an alternate universe version of Miles or his alternate timeline future daughter or maybe an alternate reality future spider hero inspired by Miles rather than Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Maybe due to this being a new Web of Life, the old web watches are incompatible and a new one would have to be created.
    Maybe. All the watches should otherwise be functional except for the ones belonging to Spider-Gwen and the Spider-Force team. Including Miles's.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    So the new Web of Life isn't backwards compatible

We could give all the watsonian answers we can, the simple truth is they don't care about her.

I mean, Spider-Geddon seemingly pretends she wasn't even a member of the Web Warriors. It isn't until the epilogue on Ghost-Spider that remembers she was and for that matter she barely shows any emotion at Billy's dead, despite being the closest one to her.

Edit: sorry for the rant, needed to get that out.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    We could give all the watsonian answers we can, the simple truth is they don't care about her.

I mean, Spider-Geddon seemingly pretends she wasn't even a member of the Web Warriors. It isn't until the epilogue on Ghost-Spider that remembers she was and for that matter she barely shows any emotion at Billy's dead, despite being the closest one to her.

Edit: sorry for the rant, needed to get that out.
    It's cool. Real shame, though it's only issue 1, so I'm still gonna cross my fingers that she makes a surprise reappearance in one of the later chapters.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

It's really weird, indeed, Annie is missing and her parents are not looking for her.

Anyway, if I have to guess, do you want to bet "Spider-Norman" could be the cause of this?

Her parents are probably looking for her in their own world.

This is the sickness killing comics now. We got damn near 7 books with Peter Parker in it and folks are antsy that he's not in this one too? Crazy!