View Poll Results: Are you in favour of open relationships in comics?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 55.17%
  • No

65 44.83%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Depends on who we are talking about. Jean and Emma? Absolutely not. Why? Two reasons:

1. It's all about fulfilling the cheesy fanboy wish of Emma Frost and Jean Grey deciding there was never any bad blood and really they should just sleep with Cyclops together. Absolutely a copout and absolutely denigrating to both of those characters. Them suddenly wanting to share partners, and more than that, sex each other would just be ripping up the character history just because someone wants a threesome for their favorite character really, really bad. Ain't no good intentions behind doing that with Jean and Emma.

2. Equally important, and I have already said this with the first point, really but: Nevermind them being into women or not, they don't like each other. It doesn't fit the characters, and frankly, I prefer the frigidness between them. Not every person likes every other person. Given the characters, I don't see how such a thing would make any logical sense.

Now, if we want some REAL potential poly characters: Storm doesn't necessarily want to be tied down. Some people say there was a thing with Yukio. I don't buy that particular pair cause I haven't seen it on the page, but Storm IS a free spirit. It could make sense. I think they'll want to make her and Black Panther a thing again though.

I think Dazzler would join Cyclops's and Emma's coupling if they would only invite her. And I feel like Polaris hasn't been established in any particular way about anything so they could go any direction with her on any topic.

People also like to ship Magik, though I don't think she has any hints as to what sexuality might mean for her. She could be into it maybe. Or maybe into nothing at all. I think either would could make sense.
    I gotta say, I like your answer and I can see where you’re coming from.

But my creative side wants Hickman to explore other possibilities. Experimenting is good.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I gotta say, I like your answer and I can see where you’re coming from.

But my creative side wants Hickman to explore other possibilities. Experimenting is good.
    he can just explore new couples without compromising the characters and the franchise

Polyamory for all on Krakoa (but divorce for Rogue and Gambit, marriage is a human construct)!

Yes truth!

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    pox #06 final twist will be that xavier did all this only so he could get spitroasted by magneto and moira.
    yes!! Truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    [B][CENTER]So, now that Hickman has released the X-Men from the shackles of monogamy, as Lord Claremont intended, what's the next step? Who do YOU want to see in a polyamorous free loving relationship? NO MORE LOVE TRIANGLES!

Personally I want Emma to spice things up even further by getting some irish good good with Banshee.

Wolfsbane/Cypher/Kitty/Psylocke/Rictor/Shatterstar/BoomBoom/Moonstar/Karma/Magik/Rachel hold the record for largest grouple (grouple couple) on Krakoa and everyone is jelly.

Rogue/Gambit painfully try the monogamy thing but eventually opt for an open marriage. Enter Daken/Cannonball.
    It waters the concept of love down pretty significantly. You see, commitment to one partner is a sacrifice. It means you love them enough to control your baser instincts and not bang everything that suits your fancy. So in a world where no one loves anyone else enough to sacrifice for them, love itself loses impact. It becomes shallow and meaningless, and for the comics, loses it's utility as an effective storytelling tool. To me, that's far to much of a sacrifice, and it's a little to close to Hickman cheating his way out of the relationship conundrums he faced for me to respect the approach.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Polyamory for all on Krakoa (but divorce for Rogue and Gambit, marriage is a human construct)!
    Sam has a fla- human son and wife too.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    It waters the concept of love down pretty significantly. You see, commitment to one partner is a sacrifice. It means you love them enough to control your baser instincts and not bang everything that suits your fancy. So in a world where no one loves anyone else enough to sacrifice for them, love itself loses impact. It becomes shallow and meaningless, and for the comics, loses it's utility as an effective storytelling tool. To me, that's far to much of a sacrifice, and it's a little to close to Hickman cheating his way out of the relationship conundrums he faced for me to respect the approach.
    Yeah...that implies that: 1) People that are monogamous and have a high sex drive love their partners more than those that have a low one (after all, if you don't have the desire to sleep with anyone else, then there's no sacrifice); 2) People who aren't monogamous don't sacrifice or give up anything for their partners, and not sleep with other people is really the ultimate proof of love; 3) That opening the relationship doesn't cause it's own set of potential problems.

Also, what one prefers in their lives or not doesn't matter, what I want is potential for more stories and new stuff, and a less conservative attitude to sex does that.

Most importantly, pretty much every major civilization had a different approach for sexuality than the next one, and from country to country you have differences (sometimes from city to city, or state to state)- why would mutants, with superpowers, virtual (and now literal) immortality, psychic sex, people who are thousands of years old, people who have the physical capacity of having sex for days without barely getting tired, etc, have the exact same attitude toward sex as regular humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yeah...that implies that: 1) People that are monogamous and have a high sex drive love their partners more than those that have a low one (after all, if you don't have the desire to sleep with anyone else, then there's no sacrifice); 2) People who aren't monogamous don't sacrifice or give up anything for their partners, and not sleep with other people is really the ultimate proof of love; 3) That opening the relationship doesn't cause it's own set of potential problems.

Also, what one prefers in their lives or not doesn't matter, what I want is potential for more stories and new stuff, and a less conservative attitude to sex does that.

Most importantly, pretty much every major civilization had a different approach for sexuality than the next one, and from country to country you have differences (sometimes from city to city, or state to state)- why would mutants, with superpowers, virtual (and now literal) immortality, psychic sex, people who are thousands of years old, people who have the physical capacity of having sex for days without barely getting tired, etc, have the exact same attitude toward sex as regular humans?
    new stories and new stuff has much more potential with new couples than going crazy with poliamori

Like on Domino annual one night she slept with proudstar, and on another with Colossus. and some small romance with Shang-chi. It all happened without being poliamori.

Like ULFHAMMER said poliamori would devalue all characters and relationships. it would end the romance on X books and would get boring really fast

who is to say humans have all the same atitute towards sex? LOL there i smany cultures. there isn't a unique human culture
    Last edited by spirit2011; 10-03-2019 at 08:17 PM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I was gonna say Tony Stark is ridiculously self absorbed... but then again so is Angel...
    The problem is that Tony always gets rewarded for his self-centeredness. It's like candy to these chicks. Remember the threesome scene in American Psycho? With the mirrors all positioned so the protagonist can only see himself? Tony Stark in a nutshell. I'd love to see him in a relationship with a dominant X-woman who could actually stop him from getting his own way all the damn time. Sage would turn him into a recliner.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Yeah...that implies that: 1) People that are monogamous and have a high sex drive love their partners more than those that have a low one (after all, if you don't have the desire to sleep with anyone else, then there's no sacrifice);
    The point applies equally to emotional intimacy as well as physical. This concept is not dependent on sexual drive.

2) People who aren't monogamous don't sacrifice or give up anything for their partners, and not sleep with other people is really the ultimate proof of love; 3) That opening the relationship doesn't cause it's own set of potential problems.
    Maybe they do, but this particular sacrifice is fundamental. It's a sign that an individual is committed to the relationship and any offspring of the relationship. Important when considering a worthy partner to raise children with.

Well, losing love as primary motivator in creating anxiety, jealousy, anger, elation, contentment, purpose and a hundred other emotional states seems like it would limit story options, which you don't seem in favor of...

None of the variations between civilizations represent significant, pervasive or permanent swings from a fundamental base of monogamy. There was marriage three thousand years ago. There's marriage today. There will be marriage three thousand years from now. It's a fundamental element of our psyche to seek committed, long term attachments, and mutants are essentially human from a psychological point of view. The fact that super-powered mutants create close friendships and choose to marry is an indication of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    The problem is that Tony always gets rewarded for his self-centeredness. It's like candy to these chicks. Remember the threesome scene in American Psycho? With the mirrors all positioned so the protagonist can only see himself? Tony Stark in a nutshell. I'd love to see him in a relationship with a dominant X-woman who could actually stop him from getting his own way all the damn time. Sage would turn him into a recliner.

Yoo lmao that scene in American Psycho. U wild.

Tony Stark is a true g.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Seems to me that Tony is the number one Marvel character who gets knocked down more than a few pegs for being self absorbed. How many times has a he lost relationships, had his company taken from, chewed out or even physically assaulted by his friends and team mates?

The only founding Avenger that gets dumped on worse than Tony is Hank Pym and that's because he's less popular than Tony.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-03-2019 at 10:26 PM.

BANNED

To the point that currently Tony isn't even sure he is human anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Seems to me that Tony is the number one Marvel character who gets knocked down more than a few pegs for being self absorbed. How many times has a he lost relationships, had his company taken from, chewed out or even physically assaulted by his friends and team mates?

The only founding Avenger that gets dumped on worse than Tony is Hank Pym and that's because he's less popular than Tony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    To the point that currently Tony isn't even sure he is human anymore.
    Rip to my guy.