View Poll Results: Are you in favour of open relationships in comics?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 55.17%
  • No

65 44.83%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    I'm OK with one or two couples, but everybody??? It feels very cultish
    Gail Simone had a poliamor couple on her first secret six book. It works well on minor characters and having only one couple

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I can't tell if the people pushing this are speaking from experience or just pushing fan crap. If it's the former, you should enlighten us.

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    I'm OK with one or two couples, but everybody??? It feels very cultish
    Word.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

[pounds table] SEX CULT SEX CULT SEX CULT SEX CULT SEX CULT

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Not all polyamorous relationships are completely open, and not all polyamorous relationships work perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    There's different kinds of non-monogamous relationships, though. Some people would be fine with their partners having emotional relationships with someone, some would be fine if they just slept with other people, but not have any emotional attachment.

Sure, but what that meant was very different. In the West today, mostly being married means be monogamous and in love with your spouse, but in Rome and Greece a man (or at least, a wealthy one) was expected to have have female and male lovers (at the same time, if that man was the bottom in the gay relationship, he'd be seen as a lesser man), in medieval and modern Europe kings often had openly mistresses, who occasionally had tremendous powers (and the queens often were alllowed to have affairs too, although usually less openly) and marriage was just a political arrangement, in Islamic countries a man is allowed to have four wives, etc.

Plus, it doesn't mean couples will just disappear.
    Boy lovers and skeezy monarchs probably don't account for the majority of relationships in history.

The OP basically made two points. First that poly-amorous relationships were good for the X-Books and second that they should be used broadly. That's what I'm responding to. There aren't so many X-Couples that a wack of them could go poly without effecting the majority.

If Marvel is in love with the idea, try it out with a couple of characters, ideally ones that haven't shown a proclivity for monogamy in the past.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

My point was that different human societies had and have different standards for what expected sexual conduct is- expect a society that isn't even fully human to have the same sexual morals of some real life human societies, specially the USA one (because, of course, some countries have more liberal attitudes, particularly in Europe, many others way more conservative) just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    My point was that different human societies had and have different standards for what expected sexual conduct is- expect a society that isn't even fully human to have the same sexual morals of some real life human societies, specially the USA one (because, of course, some countries have more liberal attitudes, particularly in Europe, many others way more conservative) just doesn't make sense.
    It does if you consider that the people who make up this society were raised and educated in human society, and participated in it the vast majority of their lives. They maintain relatives that are human, and I assume associations with them, if the Cabal, I mean council hasn't outlawed fraternization yet. This new society is five seconds old. Hardly enough time to uproot decades of ingrained social norms and morality. Give it a few dozen generations first maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    It does if you consider that the people who make up this society were raised and educated in human society, and participated in it the vast majority of their lives. They maintain relatives that are human, and I assume associations with them, if the Cabal, I mean council hasn't outlawed fraternization yet. This new society is five seconds old. Hardly enough time to uproot decades of ingrained social norms and morality. Give it a few dozen generations first maybe.
    This is a bit of what i found funny on Morrison, from nowhere a mutant culture.

Yeah the society is pretty new. And as I said before there isn't only one human societey, there is tons of human societys all over the world.

All this assoaciation of conservative=monogamy=opression=human society is like jumping the shark

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Polyamory is just a nice word for more love triangles and cheating. Just this time nobody cares.
    Seriously nobody would want that for their favorit couples.
    I dont think scemma fans would want Emma doing Scott and someone else for real and calling it love.

Sleeping and kissing are not love, just sex and that can be done with anybody.
    I couldn't disagree more with you. You are entitled with your opinions but I'd suggest a little research here.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I can't tell if the people pushing this are speaking from experience or just pushing fan crap. If it's the former, you should enlighten us.

Word.
    I'm poyamourous, I can explain... But tomorrow xD

BANNED

If it's well used in the story, I see no problem with it. I'm far too old to care about what others (particularly fictional characters) do in their sex life, especially with the kind of stuff I've been up to this year. It would be hypocritical to judge.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Word.
    Most of the people I see excited about it seem to be people shipping jean and emma or cyclops and wolverine or just sick of the rectangle drama in general and think of this as a way moving on. I'm honestly glad to see there is pushback in this thread because I thought I was going crazy wondering why everyone seems to just be on board with the idea just because of a few panels in house of x. I have been a fan of Hickman for years though, so I'm sure whatever he does he'll handle it well and with care. And just like the poster above me said, it's comics at the end of the day. If he really does just have all the x-men be a sex cult and have open relationships, oh well. A writer in the future will eventually put a end to it.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Most of the people I see excited about it seem to be people shipping jean and emma or cyclops and wolverine or just sick of the rectangle drama in general and think of this as a way moving on. I'm honestly glad to see there is pushback in this thread because I thought I was going crazy wondering why everyone seems to just be on board with the idea just because of a few panels in house of x. I have been a fan of Hickman for years though, so I'm sure whatever he does he'll handle it well and with care. And just like the poster above me said, it's comics at the end of the day. If he really does just have all the x-men be a sex cult and have open relationships, oh well. A writer in the future will eventually put a end to it.
    Twitter is a very niche, just like here. And if they think emma/jean or scott/logan gonna happen well they think this is a image book?

Also people don't have idea about drama and storytelling

I never saw Hickman really writing relationships and him commenting about it doesn't inspire me any confidence in being serious
    Last edited by spirit2011; 10-04-2019 at 08:00 PM.

BANNED

Why would characters who never displayed interest in a playboy-esque lifestyle suddenly be all about simultaneous sex partners just because their dad bought an island? I don't quite get it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Why would characters who never displayed interest in a playboy-esque lifestyle suddenly be all about simultaneous sex partners just because their dad bought an island? I don't quite get it.
    Because it's a new dawn, a new day, a NEW LIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFE and they're feeling good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Because it's a new dawn, a new day, a NEW LIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFE and they're feeling good.
    Are you saying the "X"-Men are on MDMA?